Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Who is Blame? - Open Line Discussion

Toledo - pass defense on opposing passer, rush defense on little Parmalee

UNLV - playcalling, offense, o line, UNLV coach for whining and sitting on logo, opposing passer

Iowa - play calling in second half, offensive line in second half, pass rush whole game on Tator, penalties, Tatte for his passing

Texas - special teams squared, ABC outage, oline and playcalling second half

UNI - defense and offense line and playcalling first half, opposing passer

Nebraska - offensive line blocking, refs, lack of Gold uniforms being ordered in time, rythm to playcalling

See any trends?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Who is Blame? - Open Line Discussion

If you listened to Ben Bruns in the post game he really nailed it with this team. Watch the offense and there was no urgency to get to the line and score and players walked slowly back to the huddles and just went through the motions. He said that what this team lacks is leadership and players on the field who will hold others accountable in stepping up to the line and executing. Luke VanderSanden came on later and said what we all have been thinking in asking how a line with this much talent, size and experience can not blow holes against any of the teams we are playing. Those of you that think that this all comes down to the plays they are calling are naive. It is not the play calling, but the execution.
    Is the coaching staff without fault? Hell no, they are a big part and I fault Cotton in not having this line producing and this entire offense not having any urgency and slow in there execution. I do have to throw some positive in there and say that the defense in the second half came up big. There is no reason that we should not have beat Nebraska as they are mediocre this season at best.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

My biggest problem is the play book itself. It's a high school play book. We have 3 running plays.
    1. Stevie up the middle of that option.
    2. Meyer QB draw.
    3. The option (which has worked like 2 times in the last 10 years for us)

The fake field goal was straigh out of my high school play book. Snap it to the holder and he takes off running. No imagination on it.

As far as Blythe not getting the ball thrown to him 1 time in the first half. I would say the is a horrible coaching job. How can you not throw the ball 1 time to your best player? It's rediculous.

Clones Rule

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I thought that the fake field goal was pretty well drawn up and executed for a fake field goal. There's just not a whole lot you can do to be creative on a fake field goal. You can pass but I'll bet NU would have been much better prepared for a pass considering the holder is an ex-qb.

Before we condemn the coaching staff for having a small playbook, we should find out if we are executing other plays in practice. Maybe the guys aren't showing that they can execute a whole lot of plays in practice so the coaches keep the playbook small. Coughlin uses that stategy with the NY Giants because Ely and co don't have a grip on whole playbook and it seems to work ok for them.

It seems to me that Bret is try too hard to not make a mistake. He's going to quick to the easy curl and out patterns instead of looking middle to deep. That's why Todd is struggling. Part of the reason is the o-line is not protecting but even when we get good protection he's not going long. Did we even attempt a pass over 15-20 yards in the first half?

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

As for the fake field goal, did Cotton actually think he could get 7 yards on a fake fg RUN when Nebraska was set up in a regular D that close to the endzone? At least call at TO if they are set up like that.

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 20

Has anyone noticed when we line up with Meyer under center and hand the ball off to Hicks he gets about 5 yards a carry, but when we run out of shotgun we get about 1 or 2. Maybe it's just me, but I think we need to run "normal" running plays instead of the shotgun draws and options. It seems like they take way to long to develop.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

I blame Cotton.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    Has anyone noticed when we line up with Meyer under center and hand the ball off to Hicks he gets about 5 yards a carry, but when we run out of shotgun we get about 1 or 2. Maybe it's just me, but I think we need to run "normal" running plays instead of the shotgun draws and options. It seems like they take way to long to develop.
    You're right. A shotgun handoff or draw is very obvious & visible. The D can read that immediately. A traditional handoff is hidden from view & can freeze the LBs, etc. Obiously, play-action can follow... It also gives the RB a running start to come meet the ball.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

I hope we do not find new ways to lose. So far we have learned how to win three close ones.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.