Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 173

A few people may not want to hear this...

...but patience is the key with McDermott. As much as it seems like some times we are regressing, I believe the foundation is being laid for a perenially competitive team in the Big 12 race.
    Consider McDermott's records in the first 2 years at his 3 previous schools.
    94-95
    Wayne State14-13 (.519)Independent N/A95-96Wayne State12-15 (.444)IndependentN/AN/A96-97Wayne State21-7 (.750)IndependentN/AN/A97-98Wayne State20-7 (.741)IndependentN/AN/A98-99Wayne State23-5 (.821)IndependentN/AN/A99-00WayneState 26-6 (.813)IndependentT1stNCAA DII First Round00-01North Dakota State15-11 (.577)15-3 (.833)8thNCAA DII Sweet 1601-02Northern Iowa14-15 (.483)8-10 (.444)7thN/A02-03Northern Iowa11-17 (.393)7-11 (.389)7thN/A03-04Northern Iowa21-10 (.677)12-6 (.667)T2ndNCAA First Round04-05Northern Iowa21-11 (.656)11-7 (.611)T3rdNCAA First Round05-06Northern Iowa23-10 (.697)11-7 (.611)T5thNCAA

Wayne State 14-13
    Wayne State 12-15
    Wayne State 21-7
    Wayne State 20-7
    Wayne State 23-5
    Wayne State 26-6
    North Dakota State 15-11
    UNI 14-15
    UNI 11-17
    UNI 21-10
    UNI 21-11
    UNI 23-10
    Winning % in first 2 years at school-.482
    WInning % in years 2 on- .735
    The lean years to start is nothing new to a Gmac coached team.
    Have faith Cyclone fans. Better days are ahead. Much better. I was very frustrated tonight so I wanted to see what has been done at prior stops. By my estimation, we should be looking at a 20 win season next year.
    Wow that Koolaid tastes good.

Last edited by wartknight; 02-13-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Formatting on the records didn't turn out
    Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: A few oeople may not want to hear this...

everywhere else, he got it going in 3 years. I believe it will 4 years here until he can get to 20 wins. Next year will be better but still frustrating.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'm trying to be patient as well. Problem is that we're essentially in year 1 of rebuilding when you consider that the following players are no longer here from Greg's first two classes: Dodie, Corey, Mike, Clayton and Marcus. That's a whole class, gone. So while technically it'll be year 3, we're really only in the 2nd. I'd be absolutely shocked if next year was much different than what we're currently experiencing. Someone wake me up 2010.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

Agreed.

I really expect to see improvement next year. I really won't start to doubt that McDermott is the man to do it unless we fall short of the NIT for next year (barring any major position changes other than what's expected). If history has anything to show about McDermott is that his teams have struggled in the first and 2nd years before starting to turn it on in the 3rd and 4th years.

I like some of the talent that we have and should have coming in within the next few years. It's not always that easy to go out and get 4 and 5 star talent that can contribute right away. Diante Garrett and Craig Brackins have really frustrated some of us this year, but they are only freshman and are learning how to play under McDermott and in the Big 12. These two will be very solid players in the next couple of years. We should have a solid core of players in the next year or two. The key after that is getting the depth needed in case of injuries and unforeseen player defection.

We all know how frustrated we are as Cyclone fans who have been used to success in basketball. We really need to weather this storm because I still truly believe that McDermott is going to build a solid and clean program here at ISU. He is one of the few coaches that tries to do everything by the rules. He has shown us as much so far in his ISU career. Once we start winning, we are going to have an Iowa State program that we can all be proud of.

It takes time, we will win again.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I think ALOT of people are underestimating how much the loss of Rahshon and Jiri are going to hurt this team. There is no way we have a better team next year unless we sign a top notch big that can come in and play right away. We all know that Craig is far from an inside force, but I do beleive he can be very good. He's just not an 'inside' player... Mann has 'decent' size but he will still be a Freshman... We have been hearing what a good practice player Alex is for four years, from Mac and Alford, he shows flashes of being ok, but not enough consistancy. Hamilton will not see signifigant time for at least two years...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    everywhere else, he got it going in 3 years. I believe it will 4 years here until he can get to 20 wins. Next year will be better but still frustrating.
    I agree that it will be 4 yrs at ISU, mainly because he's had so much player turnover already, which gives him less time to build a team chemistry & integrate his system. And it's the Big 12 too, not the MVC, etc.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

How many freshman classes in ISU history have had more than 2 players that played well right away? Yes there were 6 players in this years class but some were guys that the staff took a chance and and didnt turn out. There are 2 guys in this freshman class that can really become good players, and one who can be a decent one. Some freshmen need to be redshirted, McD cannot do that because he needs bodies to play now. Last years class was a see who we can get and get them to Ames, one guy turned out and he may be one great Cyclone when it is all said and done. McD fits ISU perfect he just needs to get the pieces in place. No matter who the young player is they are going to strugle at times, and this team is loaded with them.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I think ALOT of people are underestimating how much the loss of Rahshon and Jiri are going to hurt this team. There is no way we have a better team next year unless we sign a top notch big that can come in and play right away. We all know that Craig is far from an inside force, but I do beleive he can be very good. He's just not an 'inside' player... Mann has 'decent' size but he will still be a Freshman... We have been hearing what a good practice player Alex is for four years, from Mac and Alford, he shows flashes of being ok, but not enough consistancy. Hamilton will not see signifigant time for at least two years...
    Jiri was also not an 'inside' player before Gmac ripped into him. I think you'll see a bulked up Brackins next year that whould be better.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

I expect more of the same as last 2 years next year. Too much slow dvelopment in McD system. It is the rght way to do it, but other coaches seem to throw together teams faster. 2010 for NIT. Too much competition in Big 12 unless we can sweep preconference slate. Too much inexperence to overcome again next year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 581

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    How many freshman classes in ISU history have had more than 2 players that played well right away?
    Hoiberg, Meyer, and Mikalik.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160

Meyer only started 8 games his freshman year and averaged 5/3. But I get your point.

I think ALOT of people are underestimating how much the loss of Rahshon and Jiri are going to hurt this team. There is no way we have a better team next year unless we sign a top notch big that can come in and play right away.
    Agreed - however, these first two years have mirrored how the rest of his career has gone up to this point. Let me hope.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Just means this is a journey - a long journey to get back to the NCAA. There are not that many Tinsleys out there. 2010 or 2011.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree. Coach Mac needs time to get the right players for his system. I think you will see a great inprovement in the next few years and with the foundation being built this year i see a bright future for ISU B-ball.

Live for yourself, your family, your friends then your job!!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I agree the loss of Rahshon and Jiri are really going to hurt us. However, I think we will be just as competitive next year if not better. First of all, at least 4 of our starting five will be familiar with the program. I think that cost us a lot of wins early in the season. Secondly, with improvement, I think that Craig and AT will be able to put up the same numbers that Jiri and Craig are this year. Craig will need to carry the load and AT will need to play tough D, rebound, and take his points when they come to him. I think our guard court will be better because of experience. The one thing that will be tough to replace is the intensity that Rahshon gives.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Having all those transfers set us back all the way to basically year 1 of a rebuilding process.