Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It's The Money Stupid

In the last 24 hours I have witnessed even some of my most die-hard ISU supporters jump on the fire our coach bandwagon. I don't wear thje aopologist hat well but here goes.

You can fire McCarney and maybe even win another game or two but it all comes down to money. The school's budget and donation totals determine the sustained success a school has. For example, does anyone truly believe Mack Brown is some coaching genius? I could be drunk and win a National Title coaching Texas. Do I believe we have the best coach in college football? No. Do I beleive we have a good fit until the administration and fan base decide to get serious about football? Yes. I know this will offend some of you but if you don't have season tickets or you do not give anything to the athletic department your opinion does not count. And save the "if we get a coach and win a national title then more money will come in". The money comes first.

McCarney will not be fired the same year the basketball coach was fired and bought out. Aint gonna happen. Unless of coarse you pony up. Get over it. ******* and moaning this year will do absolute nothing but harm.

Cotton is not perfect but the offensive line play and play calling is better than when he arrived. That is not saying much but it is true. Technically he is still dealing with Marty Dumb Dumb Fine's recruits.

Skladany does more with less. ISU's D has been decimated and it's not like the cupboards are ever full to begin with. When he leaves he will be missed.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: It's The Money Stupid

Well said, however I'm not sure our offensive line has improved under B.C.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    In the last 24 hours I have witnessed even some of my most die-hard ISU supporters jump on the fire our coach bandwagon. I don't wear thje aopologist hat well but here goes.

You can fire McCarney and maybe even win another game or two but it all comes down to money. The school's budget and donation totals determine the sustained success a school has. For example, does anyone truly believe Mack Brown is some coaching genius? I could be drunk and win a National Title coaching Texas. Do I believe we have the best coach in college football? No. Do I beleive we have a good fit until the administration and fan base decide to get serious about football? Yes. I know this will offend some of you but if you don't have season tickets or you do not give anything to the athletic department your opinion does not count. And save the "if we get a coach and win a national title then more money will come in". The money comes first.

McCarney will not be fired the same year the basketball coach was fired and bought out. Aint gonna happen. Unless of coarse you pony up. Get over it. ******* and moaning this year will do absolute nothing but harm.

Cotton is not perfect but the offensive line play and play calling is better than when he arrived. That is not saying much but it is true. Technically he is still dealing with Marty Dumb Dumb Fine's recruits.

Skladany does more with less. ISU's D has been decimated and it's not like the cupboards are ever full to begin with. When he leaves he will be missed.
    Why is the cupboard bare, after 12 years???
    And once again, Mac has/had to show people that you know what, give me equal footing, and I will win big. And I cannot honestly say that I have ever seen that (just my opinon). Every opportunity he has had to win that big program changing game, he has failed. Evertime that there appears to be life in the program, he loses to UCONN. or Baylor, or a bad Missouri team, or a bad Kansas team, or...well the list goes on and on.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Why is the cupboard bare, after 12 years???
    And once again, Mac has/had to show people that you know what, give me equal footing, and I will win big. And I cannot honestly say that I have ever seen that (just my opinon). Every opportunity he has had to win that big program changing game, he has failed. Evertime that there appears to be life in the program, he loses to UCONN. or Baylor, or a bad Missouri team, or a bad Kansas team, or...well the list goes on and on.
    I do not deny the program under McCarney has missed some golden opportunities. That is on him and his staff. But were those opportunities a result of ISU doing well or everyone else doing poorly? Someome could say all the more reason to can him and I respect that. Heck, fire the coach every year he doesn't win a Big 12 Title or whatever your expectations are. I still believe ISU's lack of success is due to an administration that does not make it a priority, lack of athletic budget, and a fan base that does not keep pace with other school's with the check book. There is a reason Gene Smith is now at OSU. Pollard is a step in the right direction. Bottom line is everyone's expectations should match their donations. If you give a lot then you should expect a lot. If you give nothing then you should expect nothing in return. Stoops and Ferentz do not work for free and Adrian Peterson and Chris Leak do not pick schools based on academics. I suppose we could always roll the dice and cheat. seems to have worked so far with KU and Mangino. Either way you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 61

Enginered,

Your post makes as much sense as any I've read today. I agree 100%.

Last edited by Bobber; 10-08-2006 at 10:32 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Unhappy Re: It's The Money Stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
    I know this will offend some of you but if you don't have season tickets or you do not give anything to the athletic department your opinion does not count. And save the "if we get a coach and win a national title then more money will come in". The money comes first.
    I've been the purchasing party for nine season tickets for the past four years (5 for my family and 4 for a college roomy's family). Both of us make enough of a contribution to receive a parking pass (mine's in lot C-7). Therefore, my individual annual athletic department contribution totals $1500. It may not be a king's ransom, but it's enough to entitle me to an opinion.

Color me stupid, but the money does not come first. Pollard and the marketing staff have done a wonderful job to pack the Jack for the last two games and Mac has not delivered. What a waste! Had the team been impressive, the interest would have spiked and the money would have rolled in. As it is, these efforts have probably set back the program for another couple years. You can't expect fans to pony up if the product isn't worth it. We had buyers in the showroom, they weren't impressed with our product, and we allowed them to leave without making a purchase!

Frankly, Dan's had probably five chances to make a mark over the past 2 1/2 years and he's come up short every time! It's not going to happen now; his time has passed (and passed and passed)...

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow you have it really tough living in Iowa City!

Maybe his time is done, however I have a feeling he'll be around another year or two for sure.

You can vote with your check book. I'm still sending money down.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 492

It is sad to see the 45,000 faithful Cylone fans intimidated by 11,000 Red Jerk fans starting at end of first half. I believe the problem is the defense has looked really good for a total of 38 minutes this year (mostly third period of Nebraska, UNI and Iowa game and the offense has looked good for parts of Toledo overtime, UNI fourth quarter, Iowa first half, and Texas first half for a total of 43 minutes. That is little more than one game in six so far. Can we just have one complete game against Texas Tech?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

Quote Originally Posted by kuney1 View Post
    Well said, however I'm not sure our offensive line has improved under B.C.
    Yeah...I'm waiting for the day our offensive line gives us at least a little time to setup and throw.

Wanna know why we don't go deep very often? Poor blocking up front.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hmm, I'm thinking we try to go deep too much? Why aren't we trying more of the short low risk pass routes that UNI and Nebraksa both used effectivley, particuarly with our poor running game?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 251

We're having troubles getting the blocking for ths short stuff too.....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Hmm, I'm thinking we try to go deep too much? Why aren't we trying more of the short low risk pass routes that UNI and Nebraksa both used effectivley, particuarly with our poor running game?
    I don't think Nebraska's offense is anything to want to emulate. I was not impressed with it at all. We usually fail to stretch the field enough, which hurts our running game. I also think Meyer gets a bit skitish at times as I see him scrambling when he could step up in the pocket and have another second to make a throw.

Last edited by Kyle; 10-09-2006 at 12:55 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I don't think Nebraska's offense is anything to want to emulate. I was not impressed with it at all. We usually fail to stretch the field enough, which hurts our running game. I also think Meyer gets a bit skitish at times as I see him scrambling when he could step up in the pocket and have another second to make a throw.
    Yeah I wonder how good Nebraksa really is going to be long term. West Coast offenses work, but you really have to have the right type of players and the quarter back is really key. I believe turn overs hapen more often in that system.

The old Nebraksa system was all about ball control and it worked really well. They dominated people then while now it seems much more up and down.

They do have the facilities and budget to attract players however.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Yeah...I'm waiting for the day our offensive line gives us at least a little time to setup and throw.

Wanna know why we don't go deep very often? Poor blocking up front.
    You must have heard Bruns last night. Let's save Dan by throwing Barney under the bus. Nice job, but people still see through you hee hee

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 492

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post

MCC is saying that our short passing games is lacking and we need to get better at it. When three Red players en masse try to knock a short pass down at same time, THAT IS A CLUE. Why not look one eway and then trhow the short pass the other way? Duh?

Last edited by Wesley; 10-09-2006 at 02:32 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.