Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 64

W-L expectations

I'm curious how many realistically expected to have a better record than 3-3 at this point befor the season started. This is where I thought we would be and we have won and lost the games I anticipated. Were more expectations set too high, which has caused such negative feedback on the way the season is going?

To me, it has been the play of the team. The performance on the field has been underachieving. We have the record I expected but haven't looked good getting there. Now the games coming up I thought we would win I am no longer sure about.

I think we will have sure losses against Oklahoma and TT and probably Missouri the way they keep rolling. We had better get wins against Colorado and KSU, but they are far from a sure thing. Before I would have included Kansas as another win, but I see that as a toss up at this point.

This leaves a very fine line we are walking to even make a bowl game this year. I anticipated a 7-5 year if we didn't lose to anyone we were supposed to, with 6-6 a realistic option if we stubbed our toe against someone.

Now I see 6-6 as a best case scenario. Of course that is if we keep playing the way we have up to this point. But after playing that way every game, well that is a trend. Anything better would be the exception at this point - until a higher level of play happens more consistently.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: W-L expectations

That is the thing that I guess a lot of the pro Mac people on the board don't get.
    Noone in their right mind was thinking that we would win at Texas, HOWEVER, Iowa was winnable, and Nebraska was a MUST win if we are going to try to keep the program from regressing in Mac's 12th year (that still is funny to me).
    We have played lousy this season, there is no way that Toledo, UNLV, and UNI should have stayed within 14 + points of a Big 12 team that has aspirations of a North title.
    It isn't that we have lost games, HELL we are used to that, it just seems to ME (only my opinion) that this team looks extremely disorganized, and is horrible fundementally. Those are that things that fall directly under the responsibilities of the coaching staff.
    This is what is frustrating to me.

Jeffrey A Crawford

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 2,475

I totally understand where you're coming from, and understand your frustration. To keep this all in perspective, though - every one of our losses has been to a ranked team. Our wins have not been impressive, but the W/L ratio hasn't been overly surprising.

Last edited by Angie; 10-08-2006 at 08:57 PM.

Recruit
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Darts180 you are 100% correct. Texas, sure loss. Iowa, winnable if we played well, and we expected to beat Neb. I was thinking 4-2 at worst, and possibly 5-1 at this point.

What's frustrating is to see how fundamentally unsound we are at times. If you taped the game, take a good strong look at our offensive line. Even Stephenson looks bad at times. And while I'm on the subject, the fake field goal.......although it seems like an odd call, we had it scouted well. It would have worked if we would have executed. Neb. stacks guys up over the center and guard area.........we had 4 guys to block 2 guys in the "off-tackle" area........one problem. NOONE BLOCKED!!

One of the Fischer boys and backup lineman Stephens were wandering. I used to believe in Barney and the crew cut. There are problems with this team that aren't necessarily related to Saturdays....it's Monday thru Friday where the biggest problem is.

I've held my chest up high for 6 weeks....but, I've lost a lot of hope after this performance. Also, Stevie Hicks has no vision and yes, Bret was bad tonight. But, I digress.......

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Oh Jeff, you'd have to be blind not to see what you're saying. Yes we have not been playing fundementally sound football and yes that most definetly is the problem.

You've been around long enough(your knowledge level seems exceptional) to know that that most of Dan MCarny's teams have been pretty well disciplined with few turnover or penalty calls relative to most of the teams we've played.

I don't know why it's different this year, but it is. What's surprising for me is the Offense is making most of the mistakes, and they're the most seasoned.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I would have to say I agree on the performance of the OLine. It was because of the OLine lack of blocking and pass protection that made Hicks and Meyer look bad. Hicks never had a hole to run through that was bigger then his big toe and anytime we ran a pass play Meyer definitely felt the pressure as soon as he snapped the ball. If the OLine played up to there expectations, we would have won last night in my opinion. Whether that is coaching, conditioning or sound fundamental thinking on their part I can't answer, but it is our BIG weakness that needs fixing 3 weeks ago..

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 263

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrr1 View Post
    I'm curious how many realistically expected to have a better record than 3-3 at this point befor the season started. This is where I thought we would be and we have won and lost the games I anticipated. Were more expectations set too high, which has caused such negative feedback on the way the season is going?

To me, it has been the play of the team. The performance on the field has been underachieving. We have the record I expected but haven't looked good getting there. Now the games coming up I thought we would win I am no longer sure about.

I think we will have sure losses against Oklahoma and TT and probably Missouri the way they keep rolling. We had better get wins against Colorado and KSU, but they are far from a sure thing. Before I would have included Kansas as another win, but I see that as a toss up at this point.

This leaves a very fine line we are walking to even make a bowl game this year. I anticipated a 7-5 year if we didn't lose to anyone we were supposed to, with 6-6 a realistic option if we stubbed our toe against someone.

Now I see 6-6 as a best case scenario. Of course that is if we keep playing the way we have up to this point. But after playing that way every game, well that is a trend. Anything better would be the exception at this point - until a higher level of play happens more consistently.
    I will guarantee you at least three wins.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I don't know why it's different this year, but it is. What's surprising for me is the Offense is making most of the mistakes, and they're the most seasoned.
    Yeah, that's been the shocker.

The defense kept us in the game Saturday. Very backwards...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    I would have to say I agree on the performance of the OLine. It was because of the OLine lack of blocking and pass protection that made Hicks and Meyer look bad. Hicks never had a hole to run through that was bigger then his big toe and anytime we ran a pass play Meyer definitely felt the pressure as soon as he snapped the ball. If the OLine played up to there expectations, we would have won last night in my opinion. Whether that is coaching, conditioning or sound fundamental thinking on their part I can't answer, but it is our BIG weakness that needs fixing 3 weeks ago..
    I suggest you compare the Nebraska and Iowa State o lines. The Nebraska line has been oft ciriticised, but they looked sharp yet not ioverwhleming at all. However, they had their cute little shifts in a pile of three players from sider to side and raised enoguh havoc to let Cody Glenn have a career night.

And what about the Cyclones shifts? None. No real attempt to confuse the opposition. Plain Jane. We cannot even confuse UNI let alone Nebraska. Poor Stevie. Would you want to run behind that line? Poor Bret Would you weant your left side be defended by Moses? Our offensive players are m more than adequate, but humdrum innopvation from the nieties mean the staid plaid o line contionues to be a problem-O. Let's jazz it up and actually confuise the opposition instead. You knoe, even our fake fieldgoal attempt for a rush was weird - has anyone ever tried to run off tackle when you need seven yards. I thought a pass or lateral was mandatory. Heck, we could just as easily lined up and went for it. Even better, that was time to run the famous boomerooskie against Nebraska. Can't we get Steve Spurrier in for a day and get some new gadget plays?

Last edited by Wesley; 10-08-2006 at 11:16 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Yeah, that's been the shocker.

The defense kept us in the game Saturday. Very backwards...
    The defense has definitely done what was expected, but if you cannot guarantee me 28 offensive points on a given night, then back to the car design firm for a new model design.
    When we panic we go to the sideline fifteen yards down the field. The only problem is the people defending know they can shove Blythe out of bounds when he goes up in the air. He needs to be further away from the sidekines. I do not think somebody would slide into the gap. Instead of one yard off the line, try two yards off the line, Barney.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

My prediction: 4-8 (Win over Colorado), 5-7 (Win over Colorado/K-State) at best.

Another prediction that makes me sad: Flynn will have no touchdown catches this year.

Passing: 124/273, 1560 yds, 8 TDs
    Rushing: 441 yds, 3 TDs
    Receiving: 98 Rec, 1106 yds, 3 TDs

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I predict the WAY AHEAD:

The NEVER TO BE RANKED COLORADO Buffs will flounder to the Cyclones as we unleash a 200 yard rushing game. Boulder are real slow this year.

The FAST RISING KSU Princemen will lose on a last minute 20 yard touchdown pass over tthe middle to Fklynn.

The loss number will swell in THE RANKED #23 Norman REDMEN as they thinkl they are still playing Texas as Adrian" He Got Feet" Peterson RUMBLES for 323 yards in the first half.

THE RANKED #25 Missouri will be Iowa State surprise win of the decade for payback as Daniel is chased out of the pocket and throws five interceptions to the linebackers.

Texas Tech will outspeed and outflank and complete 90% of their passes us in Ames on a beautiful autumn day.

Clones SOUNDLY trounce Mark Mangino and his Kansas troops as they forferit the game because coach could not get out the Pizza Den after s small buffet episode pre game.

Clones are then invited to the next better bowl than Shreveport at 7-5.

Alvin Bowen will be named a first team All American and Big 12 newcomer for leading the nation in tackling practice. He will leave school early and be signed by the New York Jets to shore up their defense.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

That was amusing...We need more humor like that on this site!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    To keep this all in perspective, though - every one of our losses has been to a ranked team.
    Speaking of which, is Mac's record of never beating a team that finished the season ranked still intact?

I believe it was as of a couple years ago and I'm not thinking of anything that would have changed that. To me this speaks volumes of Mac's ability. At least every once in a while one can expect to lose to a team that is inferior to yours, and Mac has done this more times in just the past few years than I wish to remember. However, along with this should come at least a few wins against supperior teams. While there may have arguably been a few of these, they couldn't have been too superior if none of them finished the season in the top 25.

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrr1 View Post

We are 3 plays away from being 0-6 right now. I took a lot of crap on this board because of my stand on Mac at the beginning of the season. I had us going 5-7 because of the defense being rebuilt and Mac's coaching blunders. Jump on board boys.