Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

Time for a Cyclone Fan Boycott '08!

My newest blog briefly rehashes the Texas game and discusses a couple of places in Ames that any self-respecting Cyclone fan should think twice before giving their patronage.

Juice blogs » The Cyclones

Cyclone Fan Boycott 2008
    :: February 12th, 2008 :: 9:34 pm

Thanks to Travis beating me to the punch on bashing the crappy officiating in his blog yesterday, I am going to write about something related to Iowa State Sports but not directly related to any teams or games. Before I do that I want to note that I do think it’s a bunch of crap that referees are so protected by everybody. I mean these guys are making well over $1000 a game to run up and down the court for a couple hours and make sure that the game is played fairly. Many times it seems as if they just pick and choose what they want to call and most of the time it’s just to make sure the fouls are even.

Brad Ferrie (that little guy that screwed up most of the calls) was a joke and you know if Coach McDermott lays into somebody they earned it. I just wish I could have heard what all was said because he could have picked one of about 10 calls to harp on him about. To me the game was lost on the boards, and when Texas made their run it coincided with the time that we were called repeatedly for Jr. High style over-the-back fouls that you never see called in the Big 12. At the same time, we were pushed, pulled, and held all over the place on the defensive end while the Longhorns pulled in the offensive boards. Now I’m not saying if it would have been called fairly that Texas couldn’t have stepped up in other ways, but that really killed us on several possessions.

Ok, now that I’m done with my follow-up rant of Travis’s post, I will get to the meat and potatoes of my entry. As a Cyclone fan, we have many rights and responsibilities. We have the right to remember and revere our past player and coaching greats. We have the right to remain optimistic for the next season year after year after year. We also have the right to pull out our own hair, gnash our teeth, and wear sackcloth when we face disappointment in a sporting event or NCAA screwjob, errr I mean decision. We have a responsibility to support our team and players through thick and thin. And finally, we have the responsibility to despise all things black and gold.

It has come to my attention that there are a couple of restaurants in town that serve the dark lord. The first is the lesser of two evils, Pancheros. Now Pancheros isn’t as flaming about their love for all things Hawkeye, but they do shout to the mountaintops about their roots in Iowa City. I don’t blame you if you love a big hearty burrito with all the fixins, and I found them delightful before my discovery of their founding fathers’ disgusting allegiance to Herkey. Soon after though, they became dead to me and I discovered a much better alternative in The Flying Burrito. The FB brings it stronger than Pancheros anyway with more options for toppings, better prices, and in my opinion a tastier product.

When you put these two restaurants up against each other, this second one makes Pancheros look like the second coming of Johnny Orr at ISU. Red Lobster is a model of hypocrisy in our fair town. Let me start out with several reasons they suck before even bringing in the almost unmentionable Hawkeye part of the story. Where else can you wait an hour and a half in line to overpay for an average meal? My parents wanted to go there to celebrate their 30th anniversary this past weekend because their first meal as a married couple was at a Red Lobster. (Happy Anniversary by the way Mom and Dad!) They showed up at about 5:45 after calling ahead and telling them how it was their anniversary and trying to get their names on the waiting list. Upon arrival, their tiny waiting area was full of about 20 people. They were informed that it would be an hour and a half before they could be seated! How in the heck can you be that unbelievably slow in getting 20 people sat down? Fortunately they left and decided to go to El Azteca (one of my own personal favorites in town) and were sat down immediately and had a delicious, piping hot meal in front of them within 15 minutes of arriving for about $6 each.

And now the real kick in the nuts. The Ames Red Lobster is run by dirty, sniveling Hawkeye fans! These are not your closet “wait-until-we-go-to-a-good-bowl-game-to-brag-about-how-good-we-are” fans, but your flaming “Jess-Settles-jersey-from-his-8th-season-wearing” fans. If anybody caught the Keith Murphy campout at Jack Trice before the ISU/Iowa game this year, Red Lobster was kind enough to send over a meal for the crew at their RV. The meal came with a note “For Hawkeye fans only”. How could somebody be so stupid to publicly announce their love for the biggest rival of the university in the town where they are located? Now I’m just a teacher and not a business man, but I would guess that if I decided to open up my little chocolatiere in Durham, NC (home to Duke U) and named it Tarheel Truffles that I would have more than a couple flaming bags of poop on my doorstep.

So here is my solution Cyclone Fans: we hit up The Flying Burrito and El Azteca like they’re going out of style, avoid Pancheros and Red Lobster like the plague, and if we get desperate for seafood we head out of town for it or go to Long John Silvers (if we get really desperate). For what it’s worth, I have no connection whatsoever to any of these restaurants, although if they’re looking for The Flying Burrito’s equivalent I’m available and have a few pounds I could stand to shed

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 27

Re: Time for a Cyclone Fan Boycott '08!

I guess you and I watched different games. I thought the bad calls went both ways, but overall they did a pretty good job.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

I have a similar problem - but I live in southeastern Iowa, home to the darkside. I went to a major sports bar to wach the ISU-Texas game (40+ tvs). Guess what? 80% of the TVs were tuned into EIU losing to Minny, 20% were tuned into some stupid training Pro-bowl program. Not one TV showing ISU playing #12 Texas. I asked to have the ISU game put on 3 times, totally ignored. After the EIU game concluded, still no TVs changed to ISU. I almost got up and walked out...finally all four people at our table walked up to the manager and complained. 2 Tvs out of the 40 were then changed to ISU-Texas.

Addict
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,402
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I guess you and I watched different games. I thought the bad calls went both ways, but overall they did a pretty good job.
    Oh I'm not saying there weren't a few calls that jobbed the Horns, like the one that sent Jiri to the line in the last minute for a 1 and 1 to tie it (of course they had to after the ridiculous foul on Clark away from the ball right before it). It was just 2-1 on bad calls/no-calls in Texas' favor all afternoon.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 18

Red Lobster in Ames sucks anyway.

-Redrocker

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 329
    Given: 265

Manly Men do not eat fish anyway.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Manly Men do not eat fish anyway.
    Didn't Jesus eat fish?
    Or was he just a fisherman?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    Didn't Jesus eat fish?
    Or was he just a fisherman?
    He fed the 5,000 (plus wives and children) with five loaves of bread and two fish. Would have loved to have been there for that tailgate...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 282

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    He fed the 5,000 (plus wives and children) with five loaves of bread and two fish. Would have loved to have been there for that tailgate...

Think they had beer with that?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Think they had beer with that?
    Dunno about beer, but keep in mind Jesus also turned water into wine.

Anyone who said Jesus a guy who liked to have fun every once in a while needs to go diving into their Bible more often...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Dunno about beer, but keep in mind Jesus also turned water into wine.

Anyone who said Jesus a guy who liked to have fun every once in a while needs to go diving into their Bible more often...

Hopefully it was from a quality grape and not Boones Farm. Ok ok, I would have drank it anyway, who am I kidding.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by redrocker View Post
    Red Lobster in Ames sucks anyway.

-Redrocker
    "in Ames?"

Sir, Red Lobster sucks EVERYWHERE!

Their parent company is one of the worst restaurant management companies in the world. Bar None!

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

They might have, since beer and wine were the preferred drink in the middle ages since the water was too dangerous to drink.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    "in Ames?"

Sir, Red Lobster sucks EVERYWHERE!

Their parent company is one of the worst restaurant management companies in the world. Bar None!
    I beg to differ. They have some very fine tasty entrees. The one in Ames I cant remember, but the one here in Sioux City is good to me.

As for the refs, since I have steered off course..... I thought there were alot of crap calls, but in reality we lost because when we couldnt make 5 shots fall, they made 8 3's. Shooters and defense win games.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Hopefully it was from a quality grape and not Boones Farm. Ok ok, I would have drank it anyway, who am I kidding.
    Who needs grapes when you're the son of God? He spoke and it was so. And apparently it was the best wine at the wedding party - it was highly regarded...