Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

Time for change has come.

OK, I waited until today to write this so I could calm down after watching this "team" last night. I have been a Mac supporter all season but that was when we were generating W's. It may have been ugly, but we were winning those games we were supposed to win. However, things have changed but this team hasn't.

Players are not making plays. I can see how in one game, some players not making plays could be just a bad night for the players. But game after game of the same type of problems is team preparation and that goes back to coaching.

I'm not saying heads should roll right this moment but, following the completion of the season, changes are needed. Cotton for sure needs to go. If this is the man that is calling plays and coaching our O-Line, he is, without a doubt, part of the problem. Mac is teetering on the brink with me at the moment. Unless he pulls off a big upset next weekend and wins out, I just can no longer see the future of Cyclone football with Mac at the helm. He had ONE big game he had to win this year, and he couldn't do it last night. Everyone in the world knew the importance of this game. But that didn't prevent use from false starts, poor play calling, poor tackling, no pressure from our D-line and no blocking from out O-line. Yes, the refs blew a TD on Austin's catch. But the Cyclones were not going to win this game even with that TD based on their performance last night.

The time for change has come if JP hopes to realize his Master Plan.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Time for change has come.

Where can one find Mac's record against the other North Teams and against ranked opponents?

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Where can one find Mac's record against the other North Teams and against ranked opponents?

Are you sure you want to see such an ugly number?

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Recruit
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have been a Mac supporter too. I do think that Mac is the best coach in ISU history. I also think he saved the program. I hate to say it, but I think his time is up. . . .

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

One thing that almost everyone seems to agree on is that Barney Cotton has to go as soon as possible. Today wouldn't be too soon. Everyone can see that our terrible O-line and play calling are wasting our talent.

This is the best combination of QB and receivers ISU has ever had, but our pass blocking and run blocking are so ineffective that we can't score. We're 10th in scoring offense in the big 12, 10th in sacks allowed and 10th in rushing. All of this with 4 senior linemen! The coaches can NOT blame the players for "not executing" when they've had so many years to coach all of these guys how to execute.

The blocking problems are compounded by awful, conservative and predictable play calling which sees us apparently not even try to score unless we're down by 14 or it's overtime. We punt on 4th and 1 twice early in the game which puts us so far behind that we have to go for it on 4th and 7 or 4th and 15 late in the game, with comical results. If you don't have enough confidence in your line to go for it on 4th and 1 near midfield in a close game then you have failed as an O-line coach.

The Nebraska TD before halftime happened because they saw us give up with under 2 minutes left on 2nd and 15 and call a QB draw which went for 2 yards. They saw that we had stopped trying to get a first down and decided to use their timeouts. They watched our Iowa film and knew that we like to quit before the clock runs out. We do not use every opportunity to score. We give away possession on 4th and 1 and we try to quit early if there are less than 2 minutes until halftime. Why not send Barney to the locker rooms 2 minutes early if he's so eager to get there, and let the players keep playing? Even better, just leave him in the locker room during the whole game.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

3-3. Not the best record, but not the worst. We are on track to do exactly what was predicted of us. We havent won games in the prettiest of fashions, but we won. We lost games, but not without trying. Maybe only one side of the ball was trying, but there was some effort.

Two months ago, magazines and other articles put all the weight on the offenses sholders. And why not right. This is the same offense as last year that seemed to put things together the right way. And our one achilles of our team was our defense. This team is young. And not necessarily in the years, but experience. We have more freshman starting than what you would normanlly want. you have more unexperienced players than what you would want. But the nice thing is, the talent is there.

So 6 games into the season, what do you see? You see the direct opposite. you see a defense that is carrying this team and an offense that is the ball and chain dragging behind. Granite this defense does rank very low on most catagories, but the last two games, in the second half of play, they have held their opponests to 7 points or less. If any team can have a defense that could do that they would. But our achilles is the offense that couldnt score. Where is the problem?

I wish i could give the answer that could solve all our problems, but i dont have it. What i do have are words of encourgment.

Deffense:

The DLine is having problems making the tackles and allowing the runners to get 2 to 3 deep on the deffensive front. This needs to change, but they are also subbing 3-4 players a game to get them the experience and to see what will gel for them. You have newcomers that are stepping up and making the impact they were recruited to do. Unfortunately we lost K. Taylor to a season end injury, but that means to have him for two more years after this. That will be a huge contribution for the young players on this team.

The LB's are almost doing what they need to do. There coverage is weak, but they are agressive. When you have two players who are in the top 15 for tackles in a year, you know they are not quiting till the play is done. They run till the whistle blows and make the hits that are needed. Thankfully we got these two for another year, and one of those even one more.

Secondary is weak. Im sorry, but DeAndre is not the player he is raved about. He is weak on coverage, afriad to tackle, and to slow to cover. But look at Singleton. This guy already has a INT. and has made some great coverages with imediate tackles in these few games. This guy is who we need on the corners. I havent seen James Smith play, but this guy i am excited about. The reason being he is talked about as being a tackler and this is one thing we are not doing. Now if he can cover too, that is even better.

My thought is, this defense is finally getting the players Mac wants to be able to play. He is finally being able to recruit the players to fit his style of football and let them do their thing. The defense has a bright futre for ISU.

Offense:

Right now this isnt a team. This is a one man show. We for some reason still cant really run CONSISTANTLY. Our playmaker WR is no where to be found. and our 2nd year experience OLine still isnt blocking the best. But i see the future. Again, Mac is now getting to a point of being able to get the players he wants to run the style he wants.

Quaterbacks are pretty self evident. We want an all purpose QB. thats why Meyer is our man now. Arnaud is the furture, and maybe even Bates after that. These guys can move and get throw at the same time. We need a better QB coach. We have a talent QB right now who doesnt look at other options when throwing the ball. He stars down his man and hits him when time comes. The middle game is deffinately not there, these quick hitch routes on the sidelines are getting old. But i think the talent is there for a long time and the right coaching will only help.

RB's are maybed the best group we have had in a long time. Stevie might not be explosive, but he has power. Now we just need to find the guy who has both. Scales seems to be the starter for next year, but he lacks the power aspect. Josh johnson may be it. This guy isnt afraid to hit the whole and keep fighting till the end, and get outside if needed. It is a young group of RB's but it is the right group. you dont move J. Harris for nothing. So for those who are disappointed in the groud attack and the boring running style of Hicks, just wait and you shall be amazed.

WR's are right now the best group we have ever had. This is probably the most dissappoing part of the whole team. This group should be just as explosive as the spread offense of Florida or South Carolina. We have so many weapons but seem to be afraid to use them. I hate to say it, but if we can figure out how to effectively use these guys, then i dont know where we stand for the futre. This position still nees to be proven to me.

OLine is not exactly what we want. But thats where our young recruits come in. But the hard part for me is none of them are getting much game experience. We have a buch of seniors out of this group and they all play. The sad part is, they dont all get the job done enough to not let one the young guys to step in. For a position that is stil not protecting the QB the way they should, i am affraid they will be our deffense of next year. All young and unexperienced.

I am not a bid fan of the way the games have been played this year. I am not a bid fan of all the play calls this year. But i am a HUGE fan of the talent that i see for the future. I am a huge fan of where this team is headed. I agree with what i have read, Coach mac stays, but somone(s) on the assitant level need to go. We have talent there that needs to be coached correctly, and when i see the talent we have now and how they are coached, i get worried.

I am still on the ISU bandwagon, and the Coach Mac party bus, but if this team slips to under .500 this season, the party will be over. Coach Mac is in the hot seat already with the level of play thus far. I hope Pollard and everyone within ISU athlectics look at the situation very well.

I am a big Chicago cubs fan. And after they let Dusty Baker go, I only hoped that the important people up in Ames got the memo. Though you had the success in the past, though you maybe brought a dismantled team to competing level, your job is never safe unless you win.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Just Remember Coach Mac is the one who hired Steve Brickey and Barney Cotton. He is also the one who lets Skladany stick around year after year. I trust Jamie Pollard to bring in a better Head Coach than what Coordinators Mac will bring. It is definitely time for a change.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Unless he pulls off a big upset next weekend and wins out, I just can no longer see the future of Cyclone football with Mac at the helm. He had ONE big game he had to win this year, and he couldn't do it last night.

The time for change has come if JP hopes to realize his Master Plan.
    I think this is the elephant in the room that no one is talking about. We are looking at a 5-7 or 6-6 season right now. Of course, things can change, but if ISU does go 5-7 how does JP raise the money for the long-overdue stadium improvements?

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Wink Re: Time for change has come.

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I have been a Mac supporter all season but that was when we were generating W's. Mac is teetering on the brink with me at the moment. Unless he pulls off a big upset next weekend and wins out, I just can no longer see the future of Cyclone football with Mac at the helm.
    Fairweather Fan! If you're not supporting the coaching staff, you're not supporting the team! It's not Mac's fault; he doesn't have the facilities or budget to do any better than he is! With the imbalance of funds, I'm happy with going to Shreveport or Houston every year; any bowl is fine with me! You should wait until the end of the season before posting any negatives about ISU football!

Note of explanation: I posted some less than complimentary opinions of Mac following the UNLV game and was chastised at length by none other than CYINCO! To see her (at least I think it's a her) flopping sides makes it almost obligatory to throw some of her own material back at her! Hey Darts180, it's open season on CyInCo! :)

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I find it really interesting that as I was listening to the beginning of the post game show (I'll admit it, I didn't have the heart of patience to listen to Mac's comments) that I heard Ben Bruns (who by the way is HORRIBLE) throw Cottin under the bus.
    I wonder if he did that on his own, or was coached. I mean this guy never says anything bad about ISU FB and is always talking up how this coach has built up this program, so it definitely made me wonder what was going on.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

The reason I asked this "Where can one find Mac's record against the other North Teams and against ranked opponents?" is that after twelve years this is what I think Pollard will look at, especially if this year shows no better improvement with the talent on the team. Regardless of funds, budgets, facilities, etc., anyhting related to the performance of the players and coaches falls to Mac. That's why he gets the bigger paycheck.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Yea are offense is playing completely uninspired, granted we got ****ed by John Bible, like we do everytime he does our games, but we just aren't getting it done. If we continue to play the same way we have played in all but the first half of Nebraska and first half of Texas, than we are looking at probably a 4-8 season because I even think we might lose to Kansas State or Colorado the way we are playing RIGHT NOW, granted we have started out very similar in the past and have sort of recovered.

It should be interesting, No Way Mac stays around if we don't go .500 or over. Jamie Pollard is doing his part to promote football at Iowa State and has gotten the stadium full for two consecutive games, if Dan can't get his team excited and get the wins, than he is completely destroying Jamie's plan to upgrade everything and improve athletics at this university.

The guy has done a great thing turning this football program from crappy to mediocre, but I don't think we can just be mediocre given Pollard's wants.

I think for the most part we have the players, and Skladany is doing a better job at coordinator than he has ever done in the last two years, but Cotton is obviously doing something wrong, but to tell you the truth, the more and more I think about it, the more I think Dan has a bigger part in this play calling than we actually think. We keep on getting rid of these guys at Offensive Coordinator and nobody has worked out, Loney was a decent coordinator, Cotton had done some pretty good things, granted Brickey will never be a REAL coordinator.

This offense needs a slap in the face right now, honestly I think the second string ought to start the first series just to show these guys that they aren't the **** and need to start playing some damn football!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    Are you sure you want to see such an ugly number?

Letterman McC quote - We just beat the rated #13 UNI Panthers, my buddy McD's old stomping grounds.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.