Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Pollard; Help us Help you

Pollard:

I am all for expansion of the stadium, making the games more involved....but do you really expect fans to shell out more $ next year for a 5-7 football team? Changes need to be made and fast. We are starting to gain a larger fan base, but are they going to stick around for heart breaking losses week after week? Please do not let us become the Cubs of college football.

"We need to be the most improved team in the country from week 1 to week 2, week 3 to week 4..." is anyone else tired of this line? Put up or shut up. Mac has said himself following losses we were out coached...OK...then why don't you do something about it instead of using it as an excuse. There are no excuses anymore. We are back to where we started 5-7 & no bowl. I wish I could go to work for millions of dollars and say every week year after year "I need to be the most improved employee next week." I would be FIRED.

Someone needs to be held accountable and responsible. Sure it's the players who perform on the feild, but it is the coaches job during the week to prepare players so they don't come out flat, make silly false starts, blow coverages, not fire off the line, not get off blocks, running a QB draw on 2 and 25 and wait til there is only 2 seconds left on the play clock before snapping the ball when down by 14.

DISGUSTED OF BEING OK WITH BOISE BOWLS!

Last edited by ISUTimm4; 10-08-2006 at 10:43 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Re: Pollard; Help us Help you

Oh please.... We have the second lowest priced football tickets in the Big 12! I don't think they should be the most expensive, but he can raise them to midway, help the program and still attract 99% of the people who are coming now.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Oh please.... We have the second lowest priced football tickets in the Big 12! I don't think they should be the most expensive, but he can raise them to midway, help the program and still attract 99% of the people who are coming now.
    Who would pay more than what we're paying now to see this same type of crap product?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Because more money will give the athletic deparment more options which gives our team better equipment, facilities etc etc to improve our recruiting which will improve our team.

And you've got a darn short memory if you think all we're producing is crap. Mcarney has done a wondeful job down there with a beggars budget and subpar facilities most of the time.

I don't like paying more then anybody else, but you get what you pay for and we shouldn't be surprised to have a team near the bottem if that's what our ticket prices are.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Yeah, but then we get into this whole debate of which should come first... the good team, or the high ticket prices? I don't know that anyone has the answers. A good team will attract people willing to pay higher prices, and high prices will give us money to attract players/coaches for a better team.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yup. I think you have to build it and they will come.

Way back when we built Hilton Coliseum. People question that too, but that building and our fans is what helped attract Johnny Orr and the rest is history.

My origional comment was that I don't think we should have the highest ticket prices, but even moving to the average of the Big 12 will help.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Yeah, moving to the average is a good point. This example may seem odd, but I think it works.. I was an actor at my high school, and we did 2 different shows per school year (3 performances each). Although we did an excellent job of putting on well done shows, our equipment was TERRIBLE. Granted, its not like we were trying to recruit actors or anything, but good equipment helps the shows dramatically.... nice auditorium (for the audience and potentially sound), lighting that not only works but can help the show visually be more effective, and a good, working sound system with consistanty functional microphones (yes, as actors we have to throw our voice, but it helps the audience hear from wherever they are sitting). The school realized that we had the cheapest theatre tickets in town (compared to other schools) by at least a couple dollars per ticket. So, we raised it, and that's helping finance our new digital sound system (just got it last year as opposed to all analog), and for a new lightboard (considering our old one almost literally didn't work at all).

I guess that was an unnecessarily long post, but my point is that perhaps raising ticket prices to be on par with the rest of the big 12 will actually help finance some necessary upgrades.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUTimm4 View Post
    Pollard:

I am all for expansion of the stadium, making the games more involved....but do you really expect fans to shell out more $ next year for a 5-7 football team? Changes need to be made and fast. We are starting to gain a larger fan base, but are they going to stick around for heart breaking losses week after week? Please do not let us become the Cubs of college football.

"We need to be the most improved team in the country from week 1 to week 2, week 3 to week 4..." is anyone else tired of this line? Put up or shut up. Mac has said himself following losses we were out coached...OK...then why don't you do something about it instead of using it as an excuse. There are no excuses anymore. We are back to where we started 5-7 & no bowl. I wish I could go to work for millions of dollars and say every week year after year "I need to be the most improved employee next week." I would be FIRED.

Someone needs to be held accountable and responsible. Sure it's the players who perform on the feild, but it is the coaches job during the week to prepare players so they don't come out flat, make silly false starts, blow coverages, not fire off the line, not get off blocks, running a QB draw on 2 and 25 and wait til there is only 2 seconds left on the play clock before snapping the ball when down by 14.

DISGUSTED OF BEING OK WITH BOISE BOWLS!
    AGREED!!!!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Paying average ticket prices would mean we should expect to at least be average in the Big 12. Our upcoming 2-6 campaign in the Big 12 is NOT average, or even mediocre.

Build a consistent, winning team, and the money will come. Not the other way around.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Boy by that kind of logic, we sould have raised the ticket price every year for about the last 5 or 6 and now we should decrease?

Like I said before, we shouldn't be surprised to finish near the bottem if that's where our ticket prices are.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Boy by that kind of logic, we sould have raised the ticket price every year for about the last 5 or 6 and now we should decrease?

Like I said before, we shouldn't be surprised to finish near the bottem if that's where our ticket prices are.
    Are you including that 2-10 season in your "last 5 or 6" statement?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

What ever... My point stands.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Yup. I think you have to build it and they will come.

Way back when we built Hilton Coliseum. People question that too, but that building and our fans is what helped attract Johnny Orr and the rest is history.

My origional comment was that I don't think we should have the highest ticket prices, but even moving to the average of the Big 12 will help.
    I agree with the sentiment, however, you have a portion of the fanbase that is looking for a reason to be excited by what they see. And you have a portion of the fanbase that, no matter what will support the coaching staff (OK just Mac), and make the argument that if we give Mac more resources he can take it to the next level.

The problem is that the way that we are, and have, played under Mac is not bringing in the casual fan. Noone watches Iowa State who aren't fans of ISU or Big 12 football. And let's be honest with ourselves Mac STILL hasn't won the big game that says that he can be the guy for the job.
    It's nice that we have gone from doormat to average, but after 12 years, he NEEDS that signature win that he can show people. Lord knows that he has had MANY opportunities to get it done, but he hasn't.

Had Mac won the North last year, winning the games that he should have (Baylor, Kansas, Missouri) he would have won 10 games and all of these arguments, for and against, would be moot. Iowa State fans would have come through, and you would not see anyone talking about budgets, beause the money would have come.
    Unfortunately, as we have seen with many of the other programs that have come up over the years, winning has to come first. Not 10 win seasons, but the big upsets that shows people that things are going in the right direction, that the program can go to another level. You could argue that all that has happened in 12 years is we went from the basement to one of the better of the mediocre programs in the conference (not even the best of the worst).

At some point, you have to go on, either to the next level, or in a different direction as to who is leading the program. I don't know what the answer is on that one, but it should be an interesting off season.

I think that there is an interesting comparison between last year's ISU team, and this years Missouri team. Mizzu got the schedule break, and they are undefeated, last year at this time we were 3-3. I know that their operating budget for football is lower than ours, so where does that leave this argument???

And actually, Hilton was built more for Maury John than anyone else. Maury would have gotten it done, but unfortunately his untimely passing never allowed it to come to fruition.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I disagree Jeff. Mac has had some big wins(not enough of them).

You're all going to laugh at this, but I'm not saying Mac is our savior and we need to keep him at all costs.

What I am saying is who's going do a better job at this point? Anybody who comes in to replace McCarny will face the same budget issues and a so so perception of our school at the national level both from a recruiting and coaches standpoint. We get a ton of value out of him plain and simple. Sure I'd love to have Mac Brown or some ex NFL coach want to come to Ames, Iowa but it isn't happening with what we have to work with now.

The other thing that puzzles me is if Mac is doing such a lousy job, why are we selling out football games? I remember the end of the Walden years, and nobody came to games anymore. Maybe that will happen with Mac, but at this point it's not?

Jeff you do have some balls printing your name. Hat off to you my friend.

Last edited by Bobber; 10-08-2006 at 08:33 PM.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I too remember the Walden years, and what a shame it was that he had no administrative support. Yes he never had a chance.
    The stadium is selling out because people want to feel excited about ISU FB and Dan McCarney. The problem is that we have played poorly this year, and you can already feel the apathy setting in. As I was leaving the stadium last night all of the people that I was around have essentially given up on the season, not even Shreveport this year for Dan.
    We have played two opponents that will travel well to Ames, now lets see what the attendance is when we play Tech in two weeks, especially if we get blown out at Oklahoma. Then we will have a better idea of the excitement level about this program. I know that I will be there cheering as loud as I can, but will the casual fans that were there the last two weeks due to a terrific job done by the marketing department, will they come back???
    The biggest problem that we face is that these improvements have to be made regardless of who coaches the team. The question that has to be asked is wheter or not Dan is the guy to inspire people to open up the checkbook.

Jeffrey A Crawford