Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 603

The prevailing ideal

It seems that the prevailing attitude in moderating posts, and posters, is getting a little tight. I can understand keeping arguments in check, but my understanding of what constitutes personal attacks seems to be at odds with the current state of moderating.

My personal definition of a personal attack is to attack the poster themselves. It seems that offering a contrary view on a given issue is now considered argumentative, and offering a contrary view that is well stated is considered combative. Given this, perhaps I should be offended that I have not been targeted for moderation more frequently?

Not sure this thread will have a long shelf life, but I love posting on CF- when posting on CF is allowed to be a free exchange of ideas, contrary or otherwise.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

Re: The prevailing ideal

We, the moderators, continue to have discussions about what is the "best" way to moderate CycloneFanatic - if such a way exists.

The one thing I do know is - when I look around at other sites (KSU, Mizzou and A&M sites come to mind), I see what I hope CycloneFanatic never becomes.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 553
    Given: 502

Agreed. There are how many different opinions on what is acceptable and what isn't. While we have guidlines, like anything in life, there is a lot of gray area and I hope you realize that the mods have only the best intentions in mind. Sometimes, I myself get carried away, but the nice thing is the other mods aren't afraid to let me know if I made some decision that was out of line.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

Also, keep in mind that in some cases, you may not see the reasons some actions have been taken, such as the content of a deleted thread or a PM to a mod that is not appropriate or reported by a recipient.

Last edited by isucyfan; 02-11-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,176
    Given: 603

I certainly understand that it is a difficult task when deciding between the views of respective posters. It is my hope that the reported "abuses" are from real abuses, and not simply sour grapes from being soundly defeated in a fair debate.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 154

Not to make this an endless line of mod defense but I want to let everybody know that I welcome any and all feedback via PM or email. Obviously everything we do is going to have those that like it and those that don't - the key is to try and balance that equally and consistently. We don't always do the perfect thing in hindsight, but we always do what we feel is best for the site as a whole.

I also want to stress that often times there are posts, threads or PM's that members don't see that lead to something being moderated. That's not always the case, but often times it is. I don't know what you are specifically talking about in your post but I'd be more than happy to research the situation if you send me a PM with details.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Also, keep in mind that in some cases, you may not see the reasons some actions have been taken, such as the content of a deleted thread or a PM to a mod that is not appropriate or reported by a recipient.
    Exactly.

Good questions...thanks for the post cyclonepride!

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What I find interesting is that if someone posts an opinion contrary to the prevailing "groupthink" he is often said to be "bashing" whatever the topic may be.

If you try to give someone a little good-natured sarcastic ribbing (and you are contrary to the prevailing "groupthink") you are proclaimed to be "personally attacking another poster" or "shaming another poster" and then called a "jerk".

Worse yet, someone that is a part of the prevailing "groupthink" can actually call you a "bigot" and suffer no rebuke from anyone.

Very interesting.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 154

I think you have to realize there is a line between bashing and stating a different opinion. This site was created and has existed primarily on the premise of having a place for different opinions. The problem comes when you have an opinion wrapped inside something derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group. The site rules are very clear and very few - freedom of speech and opinion is what I've tried to press for with CF and I think most would agree that for message boards this is as tame and accepting of a place as you'll find.

We have a separate moderator section where we talk about how things are going and research different happenings - it's there that we try to work as a group to make sure we're consistent and fair with everything we do. Obviously we're not always going to make the best decision when you look back on it but overall I'd saw things are going tremendously well. I think the fact that we've continued to grow for two years with new traffic records every week would be a good testament to that. Of course it couldn't continue without the support of all the members and that's why I (and we) welcome any and all feedback.

In short - make sure you re-read things that you think might be taken wrong and moderated. Make sure that you are putting forth an opinion instead of an opinion wrapped inside something less friendly or appropriate.

Thanks,

Jeremy Lind

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I think you have to realize there is a line between bashing and stating a different opinion. This site was created and has existed primarily on the premise of having a place for different opinions. The problem comes when you have an opinion wrapped inside something derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group. The site rules are very clear and very few - freedom of speech and opinion is what I've tried to press for with CF and I think most would agree that for message boards this is as tame and accepting of a place as you'll find.

We have a separate moderator section where we talk about how things are going and research different happenings - it's there that we try to work as a group to make sure we're consistent and fair with everything we do. Obviously we're not always going to make the best decision when you look back on it but overall I'd saw things are going tremendously well. I think the fact that we've continued to grow for two years with new traffic records every week would be a good testament to that. Of course it couldn't continue without the support of all the members and that's why I (and we) welcome any and all feedback.

In short - make sure you re-read things that you think might be taken wrong and moderated. Make sure that you are putting forth an opinion instead of an opinion wrapped inside something less friendly or appropriate.

Thanks,

Jeremy Lind
    WOW...I've nevered uttered anything on here that could be termed "derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group". Yet, I have been flat out called a "bigot"...because I don't believe the quality of HS BB in Nebraska is very good...ABSOLUTELY COMICAL!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 949
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 36

I'm not sure I always agree with what is deemed to be inappropriate, but I applaud the fact that the moderators are trying to keep this site from degenerating into your typical message board. I don't think its really all that hard to avoid being "moderated", just think about what you're writing before you hit submit.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    WOW...I've nevered uttered anything on here that could be termed "derogatory or inflammatory towards another member, race or other group". Yet, I have been flat out called a "bigot"...because I don't believe the quality of HS BB in Nebraska is very good...ABSOLUTELY COMICAL!
    If you have a problem with a post, please report it by clicking the little red box with the X in it. This will ensure the post is reviewed by the moderating team.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    If you have a problem with a post, please report it by clicking the little red box with the X in it. This will ensure the post is reviewed by the moderating team.
    Unless it is a mod's post. Then they (the particular mod reported) will know that you reported it and they won't be happy!

Last edited by 4VR4CY; 02-11-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

People take things personally, especially in groups. If you are going to state an opinion that differs, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect someone in that group to react or take it personally. But if you think it's ridiculous that someone would take your comment personally, why put any stock in their emotional retort? Just let it slide. Otherwise you end up doing nothing different than they do.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by 4VR4CY View Post
    Unless it is a mod's post. Then they will know that you reported it and they won't be happy!
    Completely untrue. ALL posts are reviewed that are reported.