Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 20,746, Level: 43
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Nedrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Carroll, IA
    Posts
    1,265
    Points
    20,746
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Any night owls out there? While listening to Fox Sports Radio around 12:45 a.m. Sunday, I heard a caller from Iowa named Justin wanting to talk ISU football. He commented that Mac was a nice guy, but thought he should go. Chris Landry asked Justin what his expectations were for ISU. Justin said annual bowls and around 8 wins/year. Landry went on to say that ISU is not an attractive place for coaches and that we should basically expect to go to a (lower tier) bowl every year and be content with 7 wins. He more or less said we should be happy to have Mac as a coach. Now, I know we have a miniscule budget compared to most Big XII teams, but Landry seemed pretty pessimistic.

    Thoughts???



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 253,963, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,665
    Points
    253,963
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    National pundits hear "Iowa State" and feel compelled to pat us on the head like children and tell us to run along. They don't give a crap about us, and really we don't give them any reason to until we start winning games like this.

    He says we should be happy with 7-5 because it appears that's all we're capable of. I can't blame him.




  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 118,989, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,578
    Points
    118,989
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 93

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    National pundits hear "Iowa State" and feel compelled to pat us on the head like children and tell us to run along. They don't give a crap about us, and really we don't give them any reason to until we start winning games like this.

    He says we should be happy with 7-5 because it appears that's all we're capable of. I can't blame him.
    Yep. Winning games against MU and KU the past 2 years would have gone a long way to rid people across the country of this mentality. We're not getting that chance this year, either....



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 17,318, Level: 40
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    frontrangeclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    5,521 ft above sea level
    Posts
    1,270
    Points
    17,318
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Manhattan, KS isn't exactly the hippest place in the country either for coaches and players but oh my gosh look what they did in the 90s and early 00's? Hmmm... 3 Big 12 Title games, BCS game, fumble away from the National Title game in '98..... don't tell me it can't get done in Ames.


    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

    Thomas Jefferson, 1802

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,036, Level: 24
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    St8Grad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    262
    Points
    7,036
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    Manhattan, KS isn't exactly the hippest place in the country either for coaches and players but oh my gosh look what they did in the 90s and early 00's? Hmmm... 3 Big 12 Title games, BCS game, fumble away from the National Title game in '98..... don't tell me it can't get done in Ames.
    EXACTLY!


    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 21,668, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    21,668
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    National pundits hear "Iowa State" and feel compelled to pat us on the head like children and tell us to run along. They don't give a crap about us, and really we don't give them any reason to until we start winning games like this.

    He says we should be happy with 7-5 because it appears that's all we're capable of. I can't blame him.
    Great post BryceC. Couldn't agree more. It takes big wins to change people's perception. I'm sure that Iowa was not exactly looked at as a real attractive program until Fry and now, Ferentz made it into one.


    URBCLONE

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Landry's right. Most of that perceptions is caused by lack of facility's and a low budget.

    K-State bacically spent a bunch of money on new facilities and that helped them do what they did.

    Why is Iowa an attractive place to coach?? The place is flush with cash. They put 70,000 in their stadium consitently.

    Last but not least, yeah we should be happy with McCarny. Not too many other people would have stuck it out here the way he has and operated under the meager budget that ISU does. He's done a heck of job with what he's had to work with.

    This guy is someone from the outside voicing an honest opinion. We need to listen and learn from that....



  8. #8
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Landry's right. Most of that perceptions is caused by lack of facility's and a low budget.

    K-State bacically spent a bunch of money on new facilities and that helped them do what they did.

    Why is Iowa an attractive place to coach?? The place is flush with cash. They put 70,000 in their stadium consitently.

    Last but not least, yeah we should be happy with McCarny. Not too many other people would have stuck it out here the way he has and operated under the meager budget that ISU does. He's done a heck of job with what he's had to work with.

    This guy is someone from the outside voicing an honest opinion. We need to listen and learn from that....
    OMG
    Look the thing that happened at K STATE, Iowa, Va Tech, etc. is that they ACTUALLY WON some big games during the rebuilding process.
    I have said before, Iowa State fans are lapping from the 6-7 win trough, and the facilities have been upgraded to the point that we HAVE an indoor practice facility, we HAVE the Jacobson Building, we HAVE state of the art weightroom, and training facilities. And that is WITHOUT ever pulling that upset of a top ten team that Iowa did in '81. Imagine if Dan would have beaten K STATE in '99, OU in 2002, Texas in 2002, Colorado, at ANY time when they were in the top 10.
    The biggest problem that I am having with the budget argument is that I truly believe that if we were to win a truly meaningful game, and give any indication that we are ready to step up and compete with the big boys, Iowa State fans will be there with their collective pocketbooks open.
    However, too many of the people that I talk to seem to think that Dan will NEVER win that game that can show people that he can take the program to the next level, so you keep the fans lukewarm, and they will never be inspired to donate the kind of money we need to make these upgrades that have to be done.
    Now we know what we have in Dan, and that isn't getting the dollars in, now if you hire a new guy that can move the fans, and show reason for hope of that next level, the money will be there.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    B.S.

    Dan beat Iowa at least once if not twice in years they went on to a BCS game. Now if that isn't a big win, I don't know what is.

    Has his record vs. Top 20 opponents been good? No. Has he beaten some good teams? yes.

    I would have thought if there was a year for donors to throw in it would have been the Insight.com bowl year.

    No, the donors have had their chances. Talk is cheap....


    Last edited by Bobber; 10-08-2006 at 08:35 PM.

  10. #10
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    197
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Why does everyone refer to ISU as place that is not attractive for coaches? I was around for the Jackie Sherrill, Earl Bruce, Johny Majors teams as a kid and as a student and the teams were pretty good...... (man could Buddy Hardeman run). Not sure why we couldn't keep those coaches long term, but they were here.



  11. #11
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    B.S.

    Dan beat Iowa at least once if not twice in years they went on to a BCS game. Now if that isn't a big win, I don't know what is.

    Has his record vs. Top 20 opponents been good? No. Has he beaten some good teams? yes.

    I would thought if there was a year for donors to throw in it would have been the Insight.com bowl year.

    No, the donors have had their chances. Talk is cheap....
    Yes Dan beat Iowa in 2002 (their only BCS appearance) and then proceeded to lose 6 out of 7 to end the year, including blowout losses to Oklahome, Kansas State, Colorado, and an EMBARRASING loss to then 1AA Connecticut. The only game they won was when Seneca refused to lose to Missouri. I believe that had they NOT collapsed at the end of that year, and won 9 games then you can make your argument.
    It has been a LONG series of one step forward and TWO steps back.
    The end of 2002 and 2003 (10 losses in a row), killed ALL of the momentum from the Insight.com Bowl in 2000 (16 losses in 19 games).

    The Missouri game in 2004, losing a chance at a division title, then all of the difficult heartwrenching losses in 2005 took all of the momentum those years had built. When does this pattern end???

    The fans will come through if you give them a reason to be excited, we sold 30,000 plus season tickets, we have sold 9000 plus BB tix. i mean ISU fans will come through, but there is only so many times that you can be led to the brink only to have it yanked away from you before people stop buying what Dan is selling.


    Last edited by darts180; 10-08-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    Jeffrey A Crawford

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Yeah I'll give you that Jeff. Fans will go away if you keep putting a poor product on the field. That's what happen at the end of the Walden years as I well remember.

    I don't think we're there yet. Heck, two back to back near sell outs indicates the opposite.

    You used Missouri as a comparison before and that is a good one. The last few years have been very disappointing for them with high expectations and poor finishes, but they stuck it out and it looks like they could have a pretty good year.

    Our expectations have gotten higher in Ames and that a good thing! However it's not like we didn't see this year coming? We lost most of our good D lineman from last year and one of the best who was going to come back was let go. True I thought offensively we'd be better, but we are playing one of the toughtest schedules in the country? I'm just not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to Coach McCarny.



  13. #13
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Yeah I'll give you that Jeff. Fans will go away if you keep putting a poor product on the field. That's what happen at the end of the Walden years as I well remember.

    I don't think we're there yet. Heck, two back to back near sell outs indicates the opposite.

    You used Missouri as a comparison before and that is a good one. The last few years have been very disappointing for them with high expectations and poor finishes, but they stuck it out and it looks like they could have a pretty good year.

    Our expectations have gotten higher in Ames and that a good thing! However it's not like we didn't see this year coming? We lost most of our good D lineman from last year and one of the best who was going to come back was let go. True I thought offensively we'd be better, but we are playing one of the toughtest schedules in the country? I'm just not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to Coach McCarny.
    I really believe that Dan has had ample opportunity to prove himself, so I don't believe that this is really reactionary on my part. But the conference is BAD, noone can deny that, and it isn't that we are 3-3 that bothers me, it is that there doesn't seem to be any feeling that this is going to get better.
    We are rebuilding an entire unit with a coach that has been here 12 years, how does that happen???
    Next year we will be rebuilding an offensive line (maybe not a bad thing), RB and FB two WR's a TE. I mean what is going to happen there???
    This should NOT be happening to a coach who has had three full cycles of recruits.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 86,763, Level: 91
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,107
    Points
    86,763
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Boy I disagree with you on the talent issue. It's there. Some rebuilding yes, but the cup board is not empty! Gradutating Stevie Hicks and some of these lineman may be a good thing. Heck every year you lose good people. When Senecal Wallace or Troy Davis or Jorden Carsen or James Reed left, you asked yourself how do you replace that, but we always have....

    Maybe you're feeling it's not going to get any better, but I do. I think we'll have worst of the schedule behind us after next weekend.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 398,619, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,793
    Points
    398,619
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

    Re: Chris Landry from FSR & the Cyclones

    Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Great post BryceC. Couldn't agree more. It takes big wins to change people's perception. I'm sure that Iowa was not exactly looked at as a real attractive program until Fry and now, Ferentz made it into one.

    Louisville and Boise State are looking good this year. Throw in Montana.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM