Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

2007 recruits from Nebraska

While scanning the recruiting databases, it looks like we are recruiting a lot of players from Nebraska. I was wondering if there was a larger level of talent in that state this year? Or is it that we are firmly establishing our recruiting ties in the state. It seems like there are about 5 prospects at each position and more for the O-lineman that we are looking at.

Nebraska does have a lot of talent come out of that state given its size. The Omaha schools have produced a number of studs over the years..... from what little I know.

In the last 5 years we have gotten quite a few players from Nebraska. It looks like we will continue to do so in the future. Maybe barney Cotton is a big reason for this too.

Anyone's thoughts?

Drews79

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 345

Re: 2007 recruits from Nebraska

Billl Callahan <span style="color:orange">kicked 80 walk-ons off his team </span> when he took over (now keeps team at 104 max). did not have time or want to make the effort to coach them. He continues to recruit California heavily and other states. He is looking nationally. He makes few promises to in staters with his national outlook. He lost a great tackle from 290 pound 6-6 Omaha Central to U of Miami two months ago and tried to recapture him when word got out. He snubbed couple people that went to Iowa Hawkeyes. Now he has Kansas people looking at Nebraska kids. Frankly, out-of-state schools are treating Nebraskan recruits better than Bill Callahan. They eventually go where they are wanted. Some of those 80 walk-ons actually are D-1 material. Most of Callahan's staff would rather recruit nationally. Nebraska lost their great recruiter for in state about six months ago. I do not see where he duccerssfully filled the position.

Allen Evridge was a pretty good qb at Papillon La Vista wanting to go to NE, and he chose K-State. Now Callahan wishes he had him as a second qb instead of immature Harrison HotRod Beck.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Wesley,

Yes Cally trimmed the roster to a manageable level. Nebraska had one of the largest walkon programs in the country under Osborne and Frank Solich pretty much kept it the same. In today's football landscape, it doesn't make sense to have 150+ kids practicing. Cally still takes walk-ons and two were just awarded scholarships for this upcoming season. There is no set max of 104, but I doubt there will be more than 115 - 120 kids on the team.

As far as Nebraska recruiting goes, we'll have to see. Our recruiting under Callahan has been outstanding, if that means we take less NE kids, but get better national recruits, I'm all for it. Allan Everidge would never see the field at NU, he went to KSU because he fit Snyder's offense. We'll see what happens under Prince's WCO. ISU got a great athlete in Bates, we'll see if he stays at QB, or is moved to the secondary where NU wanted him more than QB. Sounds very similar to the Billups recruitment a while back.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Speaking of Nebraska players, what happened on that big Omaha Central tackle that decided to go to Nebraska? And Callahan made a last minute pitch? Why woiuld not Callahan have pinned him down sooner? Is he recruiting nationally first and then taking leftovers from Nebraska to fill out his roster? Just wondering.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Miami offered Harland Gunn kinda out of the blue. I don't even know if Gunn has visited Miami yet. He was blown away and committed to them. NU offered shortly after Miami in March I believe. A lot can happen yet as signing day is still 9 months away.

A march offer is still a pretty early offer. I was more surprised with Bates committing so early.

Walk On Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

nebraska was built on walk on talent....ole billy boy has destroyed what used to be a respectable program...the nebraska players and their fans have become a joke...once proud and respectful, now they are all a bunch of hooligans...i used to have great times in memorial stadium even while chering on the clones...now i get things thrown at me and get taunted all game...you people make me sick now...it's nice watching the program get driven into the ground

the lonely cyclone in husker country

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

You can thank Frank for his recruiting and lack of player development for the past 4 year slide.

Cally's doing a good job of building the program back. Will we get to where we once where, no one knows, but this is a big year for him and the program. I realize know one at ISU wants to see what's going on to the west, but the talent has been upgraded significantly since Callahan arrived.

If going 8-4 and being ranked at the end of the season "is being driven into the ground" then what is 7-5 with a bowl loss? Just wondering.

Walk On Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

well, the nebraska fans keep saying that isu is nothing....so i guess 8-4 and a bowl win is one win away from being nothing...at least we have a head coach and a program that is not the laughing stock of the big 12....that is what nebraska has become...no one is afraid of the "big red" anymore....like i said...come get a win in ames sometime....it hasen't happened in about 6 years

the lonely cyclone in husker country

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Actually, I was extremely impressed with the Nebraska fans I encountered when I went there last year. All of the T-G8ers that my ISU group walked by were nice and wished us a good game and what not.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Dbronco,

Thanks for the kind words. I was tailgating right in front of memorial on the west side and didn't see any confrontations or NU fans throwing anything. In fact, I never seen anything out of the ordinary. I actually like inviting my Cyclone friends to the bars/tailgating before the game. NU fans have bought my Cyclone friends pictures of beer, invited them to join the tailgate etc...

I've always had a good to at the Jack as well, except for 2002. I didn't make the 2004 game.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Wesley,

Yes Cally trimmed the roster to a manageable level. Nebraska had one of the largest walkon programs in the country under Osborne and Frank Solich pretty much kept it the same. In today's football landscape, it doesn't make sense to have 150+ kids practicing. Cally still takes walk-ons and two were just awarded scholarships for this upcoming season. There is no set max of 104, but I doubt there will be more than 115 - 120 kids on the team.

As far as Nebraska recruiting goes, we'll have to see. Our recruiting under Callahan has been outstanding, if that means we take less NE kids, but get better national recruits, I'm all for it. Allan Everidge would never see the field at NU, he went to KSU because he fit Snyder's offense. We'll see what happens under Prince's WCO. ISU got a great athlete in Bates, we'll see if he stays at QB, or is moved to the secondary where NU wanted him more than QB. Sounds very similar to the Billups recruitment a while back.
    [/b][/quote]I think NU's walk-on program was fantastic, but I wonder why Callahan dismantled a great thing. If he kicked off 50-80 walk-ons---that leaves a lot of ******-off walk-ons, their families, and friends mad at the NU FB program. Multiply that by a few seasons, you may have a few thousand people related to the situation that hate Callahan & NU FB.

--Plus---how many all-conference or all-americans did NU have from their walk-on program?

Duke Kahanamoku

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The 2004 game was especially fun to watch especially the long touchdown bomb pass to 6-4 Jon Davis, ex Papillion and Nebraska resident. Probably the big play of the game. The Nebraska qb that transferred to North Carolina State must have overthrown 6 deep routes, which made the difference in the game.