Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Ski Trip

Took the afternoon off yesterday and went sking over at Dubuque. It wasn't very crowded from about 4 to 6. The conditions were okay. A little bit of ice at the beginning of some of the runs, but decent snow most of the way. My only gripe with the place is the runs are too short and you spend more time on lifts then sking, but hey this is the midwest!

I love sking in Colorado, but just not a good option for me right now with 3 little kids. In another 3 or 4 years I want to start renting a condo out west and taking week sking trips with the kids.

By the way, I wouldn't mind picking up a decent set of used skis. Does anybody have any good suggestions as to where to look? Of course I want something that's practically new and 1/3 price!

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Ski Trip

Ah, Dubuque, beautiful mountain country

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

At least it's better than 7 Oaks!

Definitely check out clearance sales, e-bay, or my personal favorite--steepandcheap.com
    I picked up a snowboard complete w/ bindings last year for $350, regular price $620 on steepandcheap! It can be a challenge though...they put up items randomly and once they're gone, they're gone! It's not a bidding site, but definitely worth it.

And if you want some decent ski areas around the Midwest, check out Granite Peak (Wausau, WI, 700' vert), Lutsen (Lutsen, MN, 1000' vert). Lutsen is on the north shore of Lake Superior, so you get lake effect snow and it's fairly isolated = not crowded.

I'm personally a fan of New England skiing/boarding, it's where I learned and we go there frequently....not as big as out west, but generally less crowded and a more personal feel. But definitely still a fan or western locations.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Took the afternoon off yesterday and went sking over at Dubuque. It wasn't very crowded from about 4 to 6. The conditions were okay. A little bit of ice at the beginning of some of the runs, but decent snow most of the way. My only gripe with the place is the runs are too short and you spend more time on lifts then sking, but hey this is the midwest!

I love sking in Colorado, but just not a good option for me right now with 3 little kids. In another 3 or 4 years I want to start renting a condo out west and taking week sking trips with the kids.

By the way, I wouldn't mind picking up a decent set of used skis. Does anybody have any good suggestions as to where to look? Of course I want something that's practically new and 1/3 price!
    Wait until March and pick up a pair for next to nothing at sportmart. They close everything out, and you can get a full set for $200 of top top quality skis.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 885
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

I haven't made it skiing the past 2 years . My skis have just sat in the corner and now the garage. I'm not sure if I will ever use them again, as the next time I go I will be Boarding.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The Ski Patrol used to have a ski swap in the Des Moines area. If you happen to be in the chicago area there is a huge ski show the first weekend in november. Lots of local ski shops come to unload their gear from the previous season(s).

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    If you ever make it out to colorado in March/April, Sport Authority and Colorado Ski & Golf both slash all their prices. Sport Authority's things are usually a few years outdated in terms of models, but you can get great deals and for someone in the midwest who doesn't ski every weekend, you really don't need the latest technology. Colorado S&G has great stuff, great service, and I'd highly recommend them though it might cost a little more. At either place though you can get brand new skis and boots for 1/3 the original MSRP at the end of the ski season.