Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 135

Fort Collins, CO

My fiancee and I are moving to Ft. Collins this summer after we get married. I'm going to grad school (again), and she's currently looking for jobs. I've been there several times for job interviews and vacationing, so I have a fairly good idea of what the town is like. I just have a few questions for anyone who might live there or have good knowledge of the area.

We're looking to buy a house (low interest rates + housing market slide = good time to buy) but we're not sure what to look for and where to look for it. Because my salary will be substantially less (PhD assistantships, while nice, don't make you rich) we'll be looking for something less than we could afford now, between $120-140K max. Our general thought is to get something that will work for now but would be easy to rent to some grad students or young professionals if we move or decide to upgrade. We'd prefer to have a house, but understand that we'll likely have to settle for a townhome for those prices. Would prefer 2 bed, garage, yard if possible (dog). Also would prefer getting something cheap that needs some improvements that I can do myself (cabinets, tile, carpet, paint, etc).

Location-wise, we'd like to be somewhat close to CSU (biking distance preferred). We have friends that commute from Wellington, and there are cheaper places there and in Windsor and Loveland, but I would rather spend a bit more on the house than on $3+ gas (not to mention my SUV has 165k miles on it and I'm trying to make it last through these 3 years).

1) Where are good places to look for something with this description? Most of the cheaper properties are on the north side of town, between the downtown airport and I-25, and in the Mountain Range Shadows development near the Fort Collins/Loveland airport. After driving around these areas, they seem sort of sketchy (trailer-parkish, no offense if you live in these areas). At this point, I'd prefer something near Horsetooth/Taft Hill or near Hughes Stadium (close to Horsetooth for kayak fishing, tailgating, dog park, and bike trails). Are there areas we should look at and/or avoid?

2) When is the best time to buy, or what will it be this year? I've heard it's more of a buyer's market in the winter. Should we rent through the fall and look for deals, or try to get in something sooner? I'm not sure when this housing thing is going to bottom. We're moving at the beginning of July and planning to get a month-to-month or sublease while we shop.

3) Are there a lot of ISU alums there? When I graduated in 03 I knew a bunch of people that moved there, a couple are still there. Are there many gamewatches? Is it hard to get Big XII sports?

4) Is it as hard to get jobs there as everyone says it is? My fiancee has an ISU degree in Hotel/Restaurant Mgmt, has tons of restaurant experience (some mgmt), and now works for a nonprofit as an event planner/secretary. I hear unemployment horror stories from FC but I would think she shouldn't have much problem finding an event planning-type job, right?

5) Thoughts on FC in general. I'm very excited about this move but feel free to reassure me.

Thanks to anyone who puts in their $.02, it is appreciated!

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

Re: Fort Collins, CO

Love the city but dont know much about all that business! What you really need to know is that they serve free beer in the New Belgium tasting room!

I would talk to a local agent but if your looking to not be there long townhouses and such are not great resale items. Single family homes are the way to go. If you can't afford them though buying CAN be better than renting if the market allows you to sell for at least as much as you have in. If your only going to be there a couple years I'd look hard at renting.

Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 5

TLDNR!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We'll be there 3 years minimum, but there's already been some mention of me getting hired on at CSU as a faculty member when I'm done. There will likely be other jobs available as well. Timing does make it a tough call, but we're planning on being there for awhile.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    TLDNR!!!!!
    I wondered if I might get that, sorry! The post should only apply to a select few anyway.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    I wondered if I might get that, sorry! The post should only apply to a select few anyway.
    I know I'm just busting your chops. I actually read most of it even though I don't much about Fort Collins; just drove through it once.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Fort Collins is a nice town. Reminds me a lot of Ames, only bigger. My office has a satellite office up there, so I make regular trips up that way.

Fort Collins is BOOMING right now. Lots of construction and development. I don't think it would be too difficult to get something nearby for work. I don't know about ISU alums up that way, but there is a fairly large contingent of ISU Alumni in Denver (only a 45 min drive)

Good Luck!