Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

A recipe for Longhorn stew and some Signing Day notes

I discuss what we need to do to beat Texas on Saturday and recap Signing Day highlights from yesterday in my latest blog entry.

Juice blogs » The Cyclones

Football Signing Day and Mens’ Hoops in Desperate Need of a Win
    :: February 7th, 2008 :: 9:33 am

Well in case you missed it, yesterday was national signing day for D1 football recruits. While the last few weeks have brought with them some disappointing defections for the Cyclone football team, Wednesday actually had a couple of pleasant surprises in store. Basically everyone that hadn’t publicly defected was brought into the fold as the faxes poured in Wednesday morning, and one of them included standout d-back Leonard Johnson out of Florida. Johnson had originally planned on coming to ISU, but had recently visited West Virginia and was rumored to be leaning towards them or Michigan. He should be a player to watch in the coming years for ISU.

While everybody was thrilled to see LJ sign on the dotted line, he wasn’t even the most surprising Johnson that we signed yesterday. In one of the most shocking coups of the day nationwide, we were able to steal a 4 star wideout from Troup, Texas away from Texas A&M in the form of Sedrick Johnson. Johnson is a 6′4 receiver with serious speed and agility. With some additional hands work, he should eventually prove a speed upgrade from Todd Blythe as he has the size and leaping ability to go get a jump ball. Sometimes receivers take a while to learn routes and adjust, but it was quite a thrill for Cyclone fans to see Johnson come aboard.

Overall, Coach Chizik ended up with 9 Florida recruits, 6 Texans, 4 Iowans, 2 Minnesotans, and one each from Missouri, Oklahoma, and Canada. It seems that the staff focused on finding frames that guys could grow into, as well as addressing speed with this recruiting class. What that means is that we might not see a ton of these guys on the field next year, but in the years to come I’m hoping to see something special from this group. The other refreshing thing is that we only brought in one JUCO player, so these guys will be around to learn and grow for 4-5 years.

Now to the next order of business…after the Cyclone men laid an egg in the second half of the A&M game Tuesday night, we find ourselves in dire straits searching for a win to climb closer to .500 in the conference as we sit at 3-5. The only problem is that when you’re desperate for a win, you don’t really want to see the Texas Longhorns come sauntering into town. The Horns are 18-4 (5-2) and winners of 5 of their last 6 in conference, including a win on the road last night at Oklahoma. They sport some electric guards in D.J. Augustin and AJ Abrams, but also have a parade of man-beasts in the paint to march out onto the floor each night. At home in Hilton, the Cyclones can win this one, but it’s not going to be easy.

In order to have a chance on Saturday ISU is going to have to play much better defense than they did in the second half on Tuesday against the Aggies. Our posts looked slow and weak, while our guards seemed to be toyed with on the perimeter. We are also going to need to get something going inside, and knock down the outside shot when it presents itself. If we can work it inside-out instead of the other way around (see Tuesday night’s game film) I think we’ve got a good fighting chance.

The thing that is going to push us over the edge for the win is going to have to be the crowd. As hard as I have been on the students, the adult crowd needs to really step up as well. Against A&M I moved down behind the Aggie bench, and the only cheering I heard the entire time was from the crazies up front in Cyclone Alley. While it brought a sentimental tear to my eye thinking of the times we posted Texas players’ home phone numbers on posterboard and started chants about David Harrison’s kid sister DeDe, it also made me sick that nobody else was joining in with these die hards and screaming their lungs out.

Hilton used to be downright scary to the opposition, and when the team needed a pick-me-up the crowd sensed it and rose as one to bring them back. It seems like anymore the crowd is waiting for the team to do something worth cheering for before they get off their butts and make some noise. It’s time to unite and RISE UP my Cyclone Brethren! Wouldn’t it be great if we yelled, screamed, cheered and booed the entire game no matter what happened on Saturday? I seem to remember a Texas game about 4 years ago when we made a difference. Lets pick our team up this time for a change instead of waiting for them to pick us up. Now who is with me?! (Sprints to the closet to grab Michalik jersey, some posterboard, and a pitchfork)

Last edited by keepngoal; 02-07-2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: No reason for others to have personal information listed out here.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Rookie
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: A recipe for Longhorn stew and some Signing Day notes

Ahhhh... reminds me of the time I shared Royal Ivey's number with the student section. I bet he had about 50 messages from Cyclone fans. If I remember..... we did beat them that night.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Phone numbers and cell phones should be raised when DJ is at the line. That would be awesome.

Scored some tickets from my work for Saturdays game. I'll be there yelling like a mad man (advanced warning for those around me.)

It would be awesome if Cyclone Alley went to T-Galaxy and got "OLD PEOPLE STAND UP" on the back of the CA shirts, just like the ones back in the day.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

What's the point of the phone numbers for relatives of a Longhorn player being included in this blog?

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,123
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    What's the point of the phone numbers for relatives of a Longhorn player being included in this blog?
    Did you read it? It's all public information on the Texas website...and I should point out that it was the phone numbers for those players, not their relatives.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I read it, my question still stands.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just asked what the point is, no need to get those panties in a bunch.

I'm fully aware it's public information - you said that twice now and I knew it was public info before you stated it the first time. Why so defensive? Feeling a little "guilty" about it?

A simple "no real point" would have been sufficient.

As someone supposedly has a wide number of readers, I guess I'd hope for a bit more professionalism from Cyclones - even if it is just a blog.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 559
    Given: 1,095

Its about advertising it... and sportsmanship....

oh.. never mind.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just asked what the point is, no need to get those panties in a bunch.

I'm fully aware it's public information - you said that twice now and I knew it was public info before you stated it the first time. Why so defensive? Feeling a little "guilty" about it?

A simple "no real point" would have been sufficient.

As someone supposedly has a wide number of readers, I guess I'd hope for a bit more professionalism from Cyclones - even if it is just a blog.
    Are you serious? That got deleted? Wow. Maybe next time I should bow down to you a little more and kiss your butt so the CF posters could see your full greatness. Talk about sensitive.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Look, I didn't delete a damn thing in this thread, so check your facts before you spout off.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Look, I didn't delete a damn thing in this thread, so check your facts before you spout off.
    You're the one jumping down my throat about posting "public information" that you "already knew was public", so forgive me if I assume that you are the one that deleted it. I guess you can swear at me on here and that's ok, but if I call you "dad" it's got to come down. Anybody care to tell me why it got deleted?

PS-Thanks for the negative rep 22...way to keep it cool in here

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Swear at you? Look, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about here. This is done.