Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How good is Fremont Bergan (Eikmeier)

Interesting article talking about how good is Fremont Bergan. Are they one the best in the state. They do not have the height of some of the other teams, but they have shown all year that thier depth and experience carries them against bigger teams. They will not face a single team in thier class until district play. All thier games have been against bigger schools.

If you are coming to the game watch please let me know to plan for the room needed.

Omaha.com Sports Section

Last edited by NebrClone; 02-05-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Re: How good is Fremont Bergan (Eikmeier)

"Back in the day" (Don't you just hate it when these old geezers keep bringing up the past?) Roland HS had a pretty good team for a small school led by a kid named Gary Thompson. Davenport was the largest school in the state led by Carl Widseth who got a full ride to Tennessee. He was 6' 4". Roland had a kid about 6' 2", and nobody else over 6'. Davenport won the state championship over Roland 44-40, in a one class fits all tournement. Small schools can come up with some pretty good teams. So if Bergan gets beat by a team 4 classes higher, and Eikmeier turns out to be another Gary Thompson, 57 years from now someone will write up another post like this.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

So the class of 08 will have one of if not the best player from Michigan and one of if not the best player from Nebraska. That goes with a decent class of 07. I thought the guy couldnt recruit.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    So the class of 08 will have one of if not the best player from Michigan and one of if not the best player from Nebraska. That goes with a decent class of 07. I thought the guy couldnt recruit.
    Nicely said!!! I think McDermott has done a very good job in his first two years. Nobody realizes how bad of a direction our program was heading and that it takes time to turn things around. Some coaches recruit a bunch of JUCO players for a quick fix and have to start all over again in a few years. McDermott is building a strong foundation by recruiting young players that will have a chance to really learn the system and be able to teach it to other players coming in. He has also showed a lot of class in some tough decisions that he has made (ie. Mike Taylor). There's no doubt about it that we would be a better team this year with him but, I think it is more important that McDermott stood his ground and made the decision he did. People need to remember that we were picked last in the big 12 the last two years. We didn't finish at the bottom last year and I don't think we will again this year. I don't think we are that far off from competing for the top of the big 12.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

what i like about greg is that he is getting 2 and 3 star guys and turns them into solid players that compete and go the NCAA tourney (see UNI lol)... whats scary is going to be how good our teams will be when we get 4 and 5 star guys (see 2010 class, harrison barnes, darius stevens, etc.)... the future is bright in all sports for the clones

ALL IN

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    what i like about greg is that he is getting 2 and 3 star guys and turns them into solid players that compete and go the NCAA tourney (see UNI lol)... whats scary is going to be how good our teams will be when we get 4 and 5 star guys (see 2010 class, harrison barnes, darius stevens, etc.)... the future is bright in all sports for the clones
    You're exactly right!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Based on who they've played from Iowa and the results, I'd say Fremont Bergan would be a top 10 team in Iowa's class 2-A, but probably not top five.