Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Van Halen

Just got home from the concert in Omaha, they put on an outstanding show! Are there any other Van Halen fans?

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Re: Van Halen

I enjoy a few of their songs... Eruption (You really got me), Humans Being.... I'm sure there's a few more too...

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Just found out a couple hours ago that my work had an extra pair of tickets, so I'll be hitting up the show tonight in Des Moines. Anyone else going?

I believed in Gene Chizik and all I got was this lousy limited-edition commemorative coin.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Quote Originally Posted by jbing View Post
    Just found out a couple hours ago that my work had an extra pair of tickets, so I'll be hitting up the show tonight in Des Moines. Anyone else going?
    Not too many other people will be joining you it sounds like. I heard on the radio today that fewer than 5,000 tickets have been sold.

At $125 a pop, it's hard to imagine why...

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

As stated in another thread, I have 11th row floor tonight in DM.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Not too many other people will be joining you it sounds like. I heard on the radio today that fewer than 5,000 tickets have been sold.

At $125 a pop, it's hard to imagine why...
    Damn, is that how much the tickets are? Hmm.. well, maybe we'll have decent seats. Can't complain on free tickets.

I believed in Gene Chizik and all I got was this lousy limited-edition commemorative coin.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 335

Saw them on the Women And Children First, Fair Warning, and Diver Down tours back in the day when tickets were cheap ($10 - $15). Always went to the Omaha Civic Auditorium.

The shows with David Lee Roth were always fun. I always went because back then Eddie Van Halen was a guitar god. Then I saw the band with Sammy Hagar on the 5150 tour and it just wasn't as fun anymore.

I think it was the show Rockline that Z92 out of Omaha use to broadcast on Monday nights. David Lee Roth once said that he had a dog name Cigarette and every now and then he "would take him out for a drag."

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Just got back from the show. There were about 8,000 or so people there. The tickets I got from work were in the 300 level and when we got there, they told us that our seats had been moved since they weren't going to have people in the upper decks. They moved us to section 103 which was right next to the stage. Not a bad upgrade.

Dave sounded good, Eddie was EVH as always. Wolfgang is a very good bassist and Alex was spot on as he always has been. Good selection of early VH tunes and (of course) not one Van Hagar number. Great to hear "Hot for Teacher" "Panama" and "Jump" live for the first time.

All around good show. Dave showed a little of his age in his voice, but otherwise, he was great.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

I thought there were a lot more than 5,000 people there. Probably closer to 8,000 like jbing said. My wife and I had a good time, but getting there sucked. Couldn't believe how bad the streets around the arena were. It's like someone forgot there was a concert there tonight and decided it would be much more fun to watch people get stuck and back traffic up. To quote Marty Terrell, bad job outta you Wells Fargo Arena.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 335

Quote Originally Posted by jbing View Post
    Just got back from the show. There were about 8,000 or so people there. The tickets I got from work were in the 300 level and when we got there, they told us that our seats had been moved since they weren't going to have people in the upper decks. They moved us to section 103 which was right next to the stage. Not a bad upgrade.

Dave sounded good, Eddie was EVH as always. Wolfgang is a very good bassist and Alex was spot on as he always has been. Good selection of early VH tunes and (of course) not one Van Hagar number. Great to hear "Hot for Teacher" "Panama" and "Jump" live for the first time.

All around good show. Dave showed a little of his age in his voice, but otherwise, he was great.

What early tunes do you remember them playing? "Dance The Night Away?" "Atomic Punk" "Running With The Devil?" "Unchained?" "Somebody Get Me a Doctor?"

I wish I could have went...

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post
    What early tunes do you remember them playing? "Dance The Night Away?" "Atomic Punk" "Running With The Devil?" "Unchained?" "Somebody Get Me a Doctor?"

Don't remember for sure, but most if not all of the above. Outstanding show. All the big '84 and before hits. City of DSM flunks however. Many of the streets haven't been plowed yet downtown. Horrible getting around town. What's up with that Bill Stowe? You shouldn't be getting stuck on hills downtown when my Urbandale cul-de-sac is plowed better than the hub of the biggest city in the state.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Love "Panama" and "Jump" along with "Eruption" probably one of the greatest guitar solos.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I agree about the roads. Downtown is a nightmare to drive in. My wife and i parked in the 3rd & Locust ramp and skywalked it to the venue. It beat trying to find closer parking.

if you can think of a Roth/VH hit, they played it. And the solos were all sick.

DLR had some ridiculous stage props that were worthless. he'd come out in a top had and throw it to stage hands 30 seconds later. Then at the end there was this gigantic blow up microphone. All he did was carry it from one side of the stage to the other. Completely pointless!

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydar View Post

Yes, all of those were played. It was a great show with all four in top form. One thing I thought was strange is that there was very little (if any) banter between Roth and the audience. They just went from one song to the next. Maybe Dave was saving his voice as he was having trouble with the high notes toward the end. Besides the songs listed above here are the ones I can remember in case anyone is interested. You Really Got Me, I'm the One, Pretty Woman, I'll Wait, Ice Cream Man, Everybody Wants Some, Beautiful Girls, So This is Love?, Mean Streets, Little Dreamer, Jamie's Cryin, The Cradle Will Rock, Ain't Talking 'Bout Love, Hot For Teacher, Panama, Jump. Plus long solos from Alex and Eddie. I'm sure I'm missing some. Full 2 hour show.

Last edited by jperickson23; 02-07-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,191
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

i really wanted to go to this concert.. but didnt have money for the tix and failed to win them.. owell..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."