Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 3

Leonard Johnson & Ter'Ran Benton

By now, we should expect that our recruits know of Cyclone Fanatic......This is all about letting them know that Iowa State would be the right place for them to evolve their careers.

Now, could someone make my superbowl Sunday by telling me that reports from these two young men are that they've decided to stay with ISU instead of whatever school they visited NU or WVU....

I think i agree that these two young men if they maintain their commits and attend ISU will have a chance to work with one of the best defensive teachers in all of college football in Chizik. Secondly, they will be at the head of our class and appreciated as such. At NU or WVU they will be just another recruit.

Call us greedy, but, if we have these two young men as the basis of our secondary, our building of a dominant defense starts with guys that can cover - these two young men are perfect examples of that....

So, LJ and T-Ran, come and help us put ISU on the football map as a force to be reckoned with not only in the Big 12, but also in the nation, do that and your legacy will forever stand as something that you can point to and say I was a part of the Cyclones turnaround to a national powerhouse!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 02-03-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Re: Leonard Johnson & Ter'Ran Benton

Honestly if they both came here, and redshirted, with Singleton being a senior and Bell being a junior they would be in for an extreme amount of PT early on. I mean that has to be appealing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 5

I'm sure that Chizik points out the amount of playing time that might be possible for all the recruits.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

I thought Benton was solid. Did I miss something? Of the two, I'm more worried about Johnson going elsewhere.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

I'm actually more worried about Benton than LJ.

Addict
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 602
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 238

Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post
    I thought Benton was solid. Did I miss something? Of the two, I'm more worried about Johnson going elsewhere.
    Benton is visiting kNeebraska this weekend. I hate Nebraska!

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Benton is visiting kNeebraska this weekend. I hate Nebraska!
    Rivbdub - i don't know if you saw it, but i echo your sentiments in my Why Nebraska Sucks thread!!!!

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,279
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 22

So how many recruits are we going to be holding our breath about on wednesday.
    I don't remember such uncertainty ever before. Certainly makes signing day more interesting.
    There will probably be some suprises that we wish didn't happen, but I like to hope we will get a couple of friendly bounces as well. Granted, as an Iowa State fan, my hopes are often violently and destructively brought back to reality.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Lets talk playing time!!!!!

Both of these young men had a lot of offers from very good schools before commiting to us, they could have commited anywhere, obviously they liked something...

Two things about T'ran visiting NU - he had offers to Iowa, Purdue, Missouri, Kansas to name a few...He had plenty of time and possibilities to go elsewhere, i think he was being recruited by the Kansas assistant thats now at NU so there is the natural connection. Aside from their facilities, what does Nebraska offer now.....No major bowls, no national championships, no team chemistry, no immediate playing time, plus they already have another 3* and a 4* Db committed. Ter'Ran has to see at ISU he can work with a coach who has 3 first round draft picks from the secondary that he was directly involved with at Texas and has the credentials on the defensive front to utilize his talents to the utmost of his benefits and ISU's for that matter......

I hope Ter'Ran reads this and realizes, he comes to ISU he will be a prized recruit for our staff and our program and he will see the field early in his career. There is no way Nebraska can say that. Consider these numbers - theres only so much playing time at 2-4 positions depending on the package.

Nebraska has 8 players on their roster (not to mention the 4* & 3* commited) for the secondary that are Freshman or Sophmores.
    Of those 2-5*, 2-4*, 4-3* players, meaning they have a very talented group in that area, he will have to beat out guys who have already been playing for a year or two and will be there for 2-3 more years. All that means, if he feels he needs 2-3 years to develop into a shutdown type of corner, then NU is the place to be, if he thinks he can come in and try to beat out one of our returners that did not have good years last year, there's a chance he's lining up this year - and the same obviously goes for LJ. I still feel more comfortable with Lj because i know from 33 that him and Schwartz are good friends and LJ knows if he comes to ISU that if not 2008, definately 2009 he will be starting for four years.

SO LJ and T-Ran, if you're looking to be on the field with a chance of earning playing time in 2008, ISU is your choice. If your looking to be on the field in 2009 or 2010, then WVU or NU is your choice, it all depends on how you see your career in college, do you really want to sit and watch for 2-3 years???? I wouldnt think so, because with both schools going through a transition, who knows where those programs will be in 3 years - downward spiral....In ISU you at least know that with Chizik and his thirst to succeed, he will have us winning in the next 2 years - take that to the bank......

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I had to add this......it might make me a lil more hesitant about the chances of Benton going elsewhere and why KU was recruiting Benton.....The guy recruiting him to KU was Tim Beck who has now been hired by Bo Pellini at NU no big deal.

However, in reading about Tim Beck, he was a highly successful high school coach at Mansfield Summit HS which is the same exact school that T'ran plays for so theres obviously a natural connection - but, that same connection should have taken him to KU first then right???

Anyhow, wednesday cannot come quick enough......and i cannot wait for some surprises....and i guarantee there will be some - say 6-8 surprises....

Such as Jordan Fields......a very highly sought after DB......But, T'ran and LJ have been with us for a while, i want to see those guys in clones uni's we will be better off with them on our team for sure!!!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think there is good reason for all ISU fans to be excited about the level of coaching within the program at this point. The next step is to win more games and bring in another level of athlete. A team full of only 4* & 5* players isn't necessary to win with good coaching, but I do believe that a team built on 3* athletes with some 4* & and an occasional 5* while limiting the 2* is what is necessary to consistently play with the "big boys".
    As ISU continues to compete for a higher level of athlete, what we are seeing with Benton & Johnson will continue to happen. Hopefully ISU will get to a point were "soft verbals" to the likes of CU & KSU & IA will be knocking on the door in Ames to take a visit. ISU fans will yell that NU sucks cause they're recruiting our guys and NU fans will yell that ND sucks cause they are recruiting our guys. No one has to like it or think it is right, but it is what it is.