Thread: Nikon D60

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nikon D60

Just curious as to anyone's thoughts on the D60. I see it as a D40X with a couple of the software tricks of the D300/D3. I can see the market, but I'd still rather step up to a D300 instead.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: Nikon D60

As a current D50 owner I'd love to have a D300, but there really in totally different price ranges. D60's will be replacing D40x's.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

What about D60 vs Rebel Xti?

Thumbs Up

I would think it would be a D60 vs a Rebel XSi. It's kind of hard, because the XTi (the predecessor to the XSi) is really comparable to the D80, which hasn't been replaced yet. If it was between just the XTi and the D60, I'd go with the XTi and save $200. The XSi is going to run around the same price as the new D60.

And I'm not even going to get into comparing those two. We can fire up a nice Nikon vs Canon thread...

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'll have to look into the D60 as this is news to me. I have the D80 and couldn't be happier and from what I have read may be a little tougher built than the Rebel. Eitherway, both are nice cameras so you can't go wrong.
    For a proconsumer camera, I am very happy with the D80. I may be mistaken, but the D40 has their own unique lenses, so perhaps fewer lense choices compared to the other models(Someone correct me if I am wrong here). I wonder if the D60 would have the same lense issues as the D40, which is a slightly smaller camera. A couple of really good sites for camera research are:
    Steve's Digicams - Main Menu
    Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Don't get into the Nikon/Canon discussion....Ford/Chevy...Honda/Yamaha..... just go with a good brand that you have researched and feel comfortable with and you can afford.

One last bit of advise. Spend your money on lenses, not the camera body....lenses make the difference.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay... I just asked because I am in the market for my first SLR... I have a friend who is partial to Cannon, so I will probably just go that route.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Great site for reviews on all cameras. Has a discussion forum as well. Check it out if you're in the market to buy any kind of camera and would like to learn more about it before you buy.

Thumbs Up

Amen to the lenses thing. Bodies expire about every 1.5-2 years. That doesn't mean you can't keep using them, but something significantly better comes out that often. On the same note, lenses might determine which brand you would go with. There are some that one or the other has no equivalent for. And yes, you are right about the smaller selection of lenses for the D60 - it still has no AF screw so any lens that's not AF-S or AF-i won't autofocus on it, or the D40 or D40X. That's why I love my D80.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by drum1306 View Post
    Amen to the lenses thing. Bodies expire about every 1.5-2 years. That doesn't mean you can't keep using them, but something significantly better comes out that often. On the same note, lenses might determine which brand you would go with. There are some that one or the other has no equivalent for. And yes, you are right about the smaller selection of lenses for the D60 - it still has no AF screw so any lens that's not AF-S or AF-i won't autofocus on it, or the D40 or D40X. That's why I love my D80.

I am still amazed at all the things my D80 does ...! Next purchase is the 70-200 VR.

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Now that a couple of month have gone by I thought I might bump this up again to see if anyone went ahead with the D60. I went and tried one out today and it seemed pretty nice to me.

The problem is I am a camera moron. Today in the store is the longest I have held a camera in probably 15 years. I am looking at these as a surprise for the wife for her birthday. I was pretty set on the D80, but the D60 seemed right. What is the difference really? Also, I was surprised that the salesman would point me to the D60 when I assume it is cheaper than the D80.

May 5th is the date of purchase so any input between now and then would be great.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

More expensive does not always equal better in the camera world. If you have not already - do a side-by-side comparison of the D60 and D80 on dpreview.com.

I'm not a Nikon guy and don't know anything about either camera - so I can't give you any personal feedback.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I am still amazed at all the things my D80 does ...! Next purchase is the 70-200 VR.

Z
    What lenses do you currently have?

Thumbs Up

Major differences between the D60 and the D80: weight, price, and old lens compatibility. The last one is irrelevant if you don't have a bunch of Nikkor lenses from the past 5-10 years or so.

Here's the deal. The d40, d40x and d60 are all the same camera body. The 40x and 60 have a 10MP sensor instead of 6MP. This does not matter unless you are printing larger than 12x18. The difference between the 40x and 60 is nothing to justify the price hike. I wouldn't waste your time with the 80 if it's for your wife; she'll hate the size and weight, which means she won't use it as much, which means it was all for naught. This means you're looking at a 40, 40x or 60. Since it's hard to find 40x's anywhere (the 60 being the replacement, and you don't want one to begin with) it's really between a 40 and a 60.

Here's your choice - $500 or $750? The faster flash sync, quicker sensor, and extra $250 in your pocket seems to make a lot of sense to me. There's no way I would buy a d60. Waste of money while a better product is still out there. If it was me, I'd order the d40 tonight, add an SB-400 so you can bounce it off the ceiling ($110) and put the extra $150 into whatever you see fit.

Hope this helps - if you have any more questions fire away, I'm a wealth of random camera knowledge.

Last edited by drum1306; 04-17-2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: more info I forgot