Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 72

A few more UNI thoughts after watching the replay

First, the bad. UNI abused Parker's over-persuit the whole game. After a while it became painful to watch.

Next, the acceptable. Meyer had adequate protection the whole night. I think they only had 3 sacks, but two of those were because Meyer couldn't stay on his own two-god-given feet. The line and Hicks really did a good job of blitz pickup in my opinion.

Finally, the good. Jon Davis really did have a great game. He made several big catches, as well as a few good runs after the catch, not to mention the game-winner.

More thoughts in general: It was amazing to me (not really) how effective the blitz and the press coverage was in the second half. Can anyone honestly tell me why we haven't played like that the whole year?

Last of all, it was just unbelievable how every (literal) bounce of the ball went UNI's way. They fumbled it twice, both times there were two red jerseys there, but the ball squirted away to a panther. Also, on Flynn's fumble, I think it was Blythe and Davis who were in the end zone right there, but a panther was able to jump on it.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

Re: A few more UNI thoughts after watching the replay

What i enjoyed most about getting to watch the game again on replay - austin flynn throwing that huge block to let davis get out of bounds on that crossing pattern late in the 4th qtr. anybody else know which one i'm talkin about?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 122

Yeah, the ball definitely bounced UNI's way ALL game long.....but what else should we expect as ISU fans? It always seems to be the case. UNI played a near flawless game and we couldn't hold onto the freaking football at key times (stop me if you've heard this all before, say, last year, for example).

Time to move on. Hopefully the coaches will see that we put UNI's defense on the backs of their heels with those last 2 offensive drives we had in the 4th quarter, and we did it by moving quickly, having the receivers run crisp routes and allowing our All-Big 12 quarterback pick them apart. Jon Miller has been saying it since before the season even started (for either team), and that is that you have to spread the defenses out, line up 4 wide, in order to open up any sort of running game. That's how college football is played now, and its the only way to be effective in a running game. This team, more than any other I've watched this year, needs to use the stellar passing game to open up the mediocre running game....not the other way around. Hell, UNI KNEW we were going to be passing in those last 2 drives and they STILL couldn't do anything to stop it!! That should tell the coaches something, don't ya think?

Ugh....enough ranting. I also just watched the Mediacom replay and my heart rate went up even though I knew the end result. That game was WAYY too close to being a loss.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,126
    Given: 806

Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    First, the bad. UNI abused Parker's over-persuit the whole game. After a while it became painful to watch.

Next, the acceptable. Meyer had adequate protection the whole night. I think they only had 3 sacks, but two of those were because Meyer couldn't stay on his own two-god-given feet. The line and Hicks really did a good job of blitz pickup in my opinion.

Finally, the good. Jon Davis really did have a great game. He made several big catches, as well as a few good runs after the catch, not to mention the game-winner.

More thoughts in general: It was amazing to me (not really) how effective the blitz and the press coverage was in the second half. Can anyone honestly tell me why we haven't played like that the whole year?

Last of all, it was just unbelievable how every (literal) bounce of the ball went UNI's way. They fumbled it twice, both times there were two red jerseys there, but the ball squirted away to a panther. Also, on Flynn's fumble, I think it was Blythe and Davis who were in the end zone right there, but a panther was able to jump on it.
    it's what happened in the iowa game as well. in two of iowa's three touchdown drives, their tight end bobbled a pass that shot up straight in the air, and as he's losing his balance and going down after he's hit by isu defenders he composes himself enough to see the ball fall straight into his hands.

and tell me that if culbertson kicked that field goal that hit the left upright that that was coming back out into the field. instead, iowa's kicker's kick bounces thru.

finally, mac goes for it on 4th and 10, and meyer comes up half a yard short.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 785
    Given: 510

That panther must have been the mascot. He was quick and stealthy.

Let's see, three sacks time 12 is 36 sacks a year. At Texas, Bret had 7 sacks. Said he might have held onto the ball too long. No LIE. Right now we have 14 sacks after five games. Our team has sacked people 9 times.

Last year, we led the nation with 39 sacks. We are on pace for 33 sacks against us.
    Does it get better the third time around for Bret? Yes. At least he usually has no fumbles and no more than 1 pass interceptions a game. ISU has lost three fumbles all year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 44

i checked out the replay tonight...

was the field damp or something? meyer fell down a couple of times and baum slippled before he muffed that punt. Hopefully the field isn't as slippery for our guys this saturday night.

We definitely need to blitz this saturday.

We played great in the second half (IMO), aside from the flynn fumble and muffed punt. This game shouldn't have been that close, but I'm over it.

Time now to beat the huskers! and I'm actually confident we can do so...

GO CYCLONES!!

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 195

Also watched the replay. I have some major concerns with our run defense. UNI routinely made gaping holes in our defensive front, which is something that needs fixing before Saturday. Now, on to Nebraska, let's put it all together on both sides of the ball and win a big game!

Go Cyclones!!