Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 104

Ames Trib Article: Renovating State Gym & Beyer

Does anyone go to either gym? Before Lied Rec Center was built we would play pickup games in State. I always hated those dead spots when you were dribbling the ball.

What are your thoughts on renovating both?

LINK: Ames Trib Article

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Ames Trib Article: Renovating State Gym & Beyer

That would be awesome...since the bill will be passed on to future clones I'm sure it will pass. AC in the Lied Rec...what

Rookie
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Like the idea, I don't like the sketch of the proposed building they've quickly drawn up. UDCC, Friley, The Suites, all of those buildings on that side of campus are red brick and the like. Maybe they could find a way to incorporate something from the old field into the building? Granted the entire thing has to get passed first, but that glass thing looks like a real monstrosity...

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 17

I lived out at Towers my first 2 years, but never went into State Gym except for a few intramural BBall games. I assume people in Friley and Helser went more than that. With basketball getting a practice facility, hopefully soon. Would it be worth it for the students?

#BEATIOWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

not really a fan of the idea, rec fees will double and I won't ever get to use the facility. Now I know the Lied's ball courts get really busy in the winter, but if it weren't busy and all of the students were spread out, what fun would that be? it would be hard to get into different games with different people. and it is rare that you go somewhere with 9 others you already know to get into a game. just my thoughts

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 641
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

I'm in favor of the renovations, even though I will only reap the benefits for one year. I think we kind of owe it to future students to have nice facilities, especially something that's built for our entertainment. It's too bad the fees will increase so much, but I'm afraid if we vote it down, that might set a trend for future votes, maybe I'm wrong.

Either way, I'm voting in favor of it no matter what, they gave me a free water bottle at our intramural basketball game tonight, and when I look at the picture of Cy in his construction hat on the side of the bottle, I know I just can't let him down.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa State needs to put the brakes on the building. Students are ******** about tuition, and the faculty is ******** about the low salaries and lack of money for programming. ISU has been on a building binge for YEARS and I think they can focus these millions of dollars on salaries or subsidizing tuition costs. I look at the facilities at your local high schools then look at what ISU has. It's disturbing and we have top notch facilities to last for at least a decade.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

Progress, Progress, Progress. It always comes with a price tag.

Looks to me like ISU has a 1920 Ford Model A they're still driving. Grandma and Grandpa say it's good enough, but the kids want a new Chevy.

Go for it kids, go for it!

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    Iowa State needs to put the brakes on the building. Students are ******** about tuition, and the faculty is ******** about the low salaries and lack of money for programming. ISU has been on a building binge for YEARS and I think they can focus these millions of dollars on salaries or subsidizing tuition costs. I look at the facilities at your local high schools then look at what ISU has. It's disturbing and we have top notch facilities to last for at least a decade.
    Show me a school where there isn't people ******** about tuition. This isn't an ISU problem, it's a nationwide problem.

I am no longer a student but I think it is a great idea and long overdue. It gives the students another option to stay active and will only aid in the draw for potential students to ISU. You have to understand that ISU survives on out of state students (I was one) and having up to date facilities that the YEARS of construction brings is what attracts those students.

Prospect
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

It's disturbing and we have top notch facilities to last for at least a decade.
    ISU has top-notch facilities compared to who? You mentioned high schools in your post. That's not really a valid comparison.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've lived on the west side of campus for three years now, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that this vote needs to pass. Beyer and State Gym are completely inadequate facilities for students. Despite its size, Beyer actually has very few facilities that students can just walk in and use recreationally- the pool and the racketball courts are it. Almost every activity that takes place in the building is either Athletics or Intramural activities. State Gym is a great building with lots of history, but speaking in terms of usability and efficiency, it's a total dump. The basketball courts are almost always packed in the evenings, there are no facilities at all for men except for a tiny 2-person bathroom tucked down in the northwest sub-basement stairwell, and all of the stuff underneath the gym floor (and there's a lot- boxing, Outdoor Rec, offices, pool) has to deal with what sounds like Armageddon approaching. For those of you who have been gone at least a few years, the demand for modern workout facilities is so great on the west side that the Union Drive area opened up The Plex- two smallish rooms in the UDCC (cardio) and Friley (weights) that people can purchase annual passes to. The Plex gets rather heavy use, especially the weight room. I have personally purchased a set of adjustable dumbbells just so that I can get some kind of a workout in my room without having to trek to the opposite corner of campus. On top of all that, I did work out at Lied nearly every day this summer. I quickly learned that I had to either be finished by about 7:30am, or not come until 10pm. Anything else, and it was so obscenely hot in the 3rd-floor weight loft that it was a health hazard. We need these upgrades.

Unless I came back to ISU for my master's, I won't even get to use these facilities, but I'm definitely going to vote for them. With them, we will continue to have some of the best combinations of facilities and services in the nation. Without them, we will be outclassed within 18 months by our peer institutions, who are also upgrading recreational facilities. We owe it to future students to fund this necessary part of campus life.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Amen to everything ornryactor just said. This is my second year in Martin and I almost got a PLEX pass because the prospect of walking across campus to work out or run in a totally packed facility is NOT appealing. I'm totally voting for this (I also got a free water bottle and t-shirt just for asking when the vote was ;) even though I might not get to use it at all. Anyone seen Mizzou's facilities? Gorgeous. Also, just an aside, but I like the design. Think it ties nicely in with Hoover and Howe.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm voting Yes, for the exact reasons that ornryfactor stated--students on the West Side are getting the shaft when it comes to facilities, especially in winter. In the summer, signs have to be placed throughout Lied warning people to exercise at their own risk and with caution due to the outrageous heat and humidity. It's worse at night when more people work out. During the school year, the heat honestly isn't that bad except for August and maybe late April/early May.

Next time you're up on the 3rd floor in the summer, look at the thermometer at the staff desk--95% of the time it will be mid to high 90s, and that doesn't include humidity. Yes, the point of exercise is to sweat, burn calories, lose weight, etc., but there are SAFER temperatures to do this at. Look at the temp up there sometime this week--it'll probably be about 70 and you'll feel "warm"...tack on another 30 degrees and welcome to summer life!

Finances:
    The $20 increase will be implemented in Fall 2009. The A/C in Lied will be installed Summer 2009. Therefore, you're not paying for something you'll never have access to. The jump to $107 will be in Fall 2011. The new addition to state is scheduled to be completed around that time. Again, you're not paying for something you won't have access to.

Also, for anyone who regularly uses Lied and wants to vote "No":
    Remember that if it wasn't for students in the early 1990s voting "Yes" for Lied, we would have ONLY Beyer and State currently. They voted "Yes" for the future generation, we should do the same.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 112

My guess is it is similar to buding federal bridges. If you do not want one, the next guy will take it. Accordingly, if ISU does not build it, then UNI or Iowa will take the building money. The tuition will never be cut if the buildings are not built. That is how the system works. It would be nice t cut tuition by going without, but the money has a habit of never getting back to the students.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 262
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by clone2011 View Post
    I'm voting Yes, for the exact reasons that ornryfactor stated--students on the West Side are getting the shaft when it comes to facilities, especially in winter. In the summer, signs have to be placed throughout Lied warning people to exercise at their own risk and with caution due to the outrageous heat and humidity. It's worse at night when more people work out. During the school year, the heat honestly isn't that bad except for August and maybe late April/early May.

Next time you're up on the 3rd floor in the summer, look at the thermometer at the staff desk--95% of the time it will be mid to high 90s, and that doesn't include humidity. Yes, the point of exercise is to sweat, burn calories, lose weight, etc., but there are SAFER temperatures to do this at. Look at the temp up there sometime this week--it'll probably be about 70 and you'll feel "warm"...tack on another 30 degrees and welcome to summer life!

Finances:
    The $20 increase will be implemented in Fall 2009. The A/C in Lied will be installed Summer 2009. Therefore, you're not paying for something you'll never have access to. The jump to $107 will be in Fall 2011. The new addition to state is scheduled to be completed around that time. Again, you're not paying for something you won't have access to.

Also, for anyone who regularly uses Lied and wants to vote "No":
    Remember that if it wasn't for students in the early 1990s voting "Yes" for Lied, we would have ONLY Beyer and State currently. They voted "Yes" for the future generation, we should do the same.

Part of my student fees, albeit a small portion, went into the funding of the Lied Rec Center. Although I was never able to use Lied for free I understood the need for a new facility because Beyer and State were always packed with pickup games. And you really couldn't play at either gym when intramurals were in full swing.