Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 485,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,179
    Points
    485,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 132

    Fixing the student section issue

    Coming as a recent graduate (this spring), I can tell you that there are two things that will get better attendance out of the student section:
    1) Winning. Duh. My sophomore year was the year Captain Morgan took us to the NCAA's. There was a lot of hype going into that season, and when they tanked out the gate, there were alot of empty student seats, but as soon as they got the ball rolling, the place started filling up and getting wild.

    2) Get rid of Cyclone Alley! It does nothing but divide the students, and makes people who aren't diehards question even getting tickets, because then they have to sign up to join this other club, plus as some other people have mentioned, the whole t-shirt thing makes ticket transfer a pain in the ***. It seems that since Cyclone Alley was started, it has grown every year, and coincidentally student attendance has suffered. If the entire student section was general admission on a first come first serve basis for every game, I guarantee that there would be an increase in student attendance. For those of you who say Cyclone Alley "looks" good, let me ask you, what looks better, an undersold parquet of everyone wearing the same shirt, or a full student section?


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 84,913, Level: 90
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,165
    Points
    84,913
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    Did you really need to start a new thread for this?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 66,232, Level: 79
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,443
    Points
    66,232
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 0

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Coming as a recent graduate (this spring), I can tell you that there are two things that will get better attendance out of the student section:
    1) Winning. Duh. My sophomore year was the year Captain Morgan took us to the NCAA's. There was a lot of hype going into that season, and when they tanked out the gate, there were alot of empty student seats, but as soon as they got the ball rolling, the place started filling up and getting wild.

    2) Get rid of Cyclone Alley! It does nothing but divide the students, and makes people who aren't diehards question even getting tickets, because then they have to sign up to join this other club, plus as some other people have mentioned, the whole t-shirt thing makes ticket transfer a pain in the ***. It seems that since Cyclone Alley was started, it has grown every year, and coincidentally student attendance has suffered. If the entire student section was general admission on a first come first serve basis for every game, I guarantee that there would be an increase in student attendance. For those of you who say Cyclone Alley "looks" good, let me ask you, what looks better, an undersold parquet of everyone wearing the same shirt, or a full student section?
    I have nothing against CA, however, I like the GA idea for ANY students. I think it would be better if it were simply highly recommended any students coming to the game wear cardinal. I think most students would match in color and you would get more coming.

    This is something for JP to figure out. I'm sure he notices these things and has top people working on it right now.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 8,582, Level: 27
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    386
    Points
    8,582
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    coming from a Senior student, I agree completely with this post. I think making every game general admission for everyone would be a lot better. get rid of the voucher system for KU and Iowa because that is stupid, it would make it better if everyone had the chance to sit down low with out having to join Cyclone alley because if people in CA don't show up it looks bad and those who aren't members can't go and fill up that space so its just wasted.


    dan k

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 13,808, Level: 35
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bigredqb7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    1,027
    Points
    13,808
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    what they could do is go back to the way it was with one side cyclone alley and the other side ga students



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 485,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,179
    Points
    485,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 132

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I have nothing against CA, however, I like the GA idea for ANY students. I think it would be better if it were simply highly recommended any students coming to the game wear cardinal. I think most students would match in color and you would get more coming.

    This is something for JP to figure out. I'm sure he notices these things and has top people working on it right now.
    I don't dislike CA itself, just the fact that it resigns those who aren't in it to sitting no better than the balcony. Who really wants to go out in subzero windchills to sit in crappy seats to watch an average team? If there's at least a chance of getting good seats, Im sure there would be an increase in attendance.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    I agree as well. My (final) senior year was the first year for Cyclone Alley. I think my sister gave me her CA shirt but I just stayed on the regular side. Something about the idea of structured cheers, etc. didn't appeal to me.

    While I don't mind the organized moves during opponent's free throws, they rarely seem to work. As I mentioned in another post, we didn't need organized cheers to make Boddicker miss two big ones at the end of the Texas game a few years back. We just needed enough noise to make an air traffic controller pass out.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 415,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,771
    Points
    415,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 608
    Given: 307

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    I love CA, but i also understand the other sides of the issue.. I think one good way to fix this is, just charge an extra $10 for the season tickets and give everybody a "cyclone alley" t-shirt. You can wear it, or not. But, when people receive a t-shirt like that, most would wear it, and this would keep the "cardinal" colored student section.
    And, if you add $10 to the season tickets, you don't have to say anything about it, people will just assume its a $10 increase in price. People will then think they are recieving a cool "free" t-shirt.
    Everybody is happy, everbody can sit wear they want, we sell more tickets, we fill the place up, the mojority of the student section is a nice solid color, the increase in students will lead to a louder student section, the loudness creates wins, the wins will bring a national championship!!! It's really that simple! ;)



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 277,897, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    14,988
    Points
    277,897
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,064
    Given: 210

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    I would like to see Hilton sold out and packed full every night, but the FACT is that it won't happen until the team starts to gets better and starts to get more press. I like the idea of Cyclone Alley, but also understand that a lot of students do not want to join for whatever reason. The balcony seats really are not all that bad, especially if you are in the first few rows. My suggestion would be to make the fold out seats mandatory Cyclone Alley, and require a student have their shirt on in those sections. Open up all other seats to all students, including the parquae and balcony.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 84,913, Level: 90
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,165
    Points
    84,913
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    Balcony seats are not bad as far as having a decent view, but man, it is dead quiet up there (mainly because no one is up there...)



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 19,537, Level: 42
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,636
    Points
    19,537
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    I wonder if JP or anyone in the athletic department watch this board to see what people think?



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 84,913, Level: 90
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,165
    Points
    84,913
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    As I just said in one of the other student section threads... if people don't like how things are set up, e-mail Jamie Pollard. That's the only way things are going to change for the better.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 485,916, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,179
    Points
    485,916
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 132

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I would like to see Hilton sold out and packed full every night, but the FACT is that it won't happen until the team starts to gets better and starts to get more press. I like the idea of Cyclone Alley, but also understand that a lot of students do not want to join for whatever reason. The balcony seats really are not all that bad, especially if you are in the first few rows. My suggestion would be to make the fold out seats mandatory Cyclone Alley, and require a student have their shirt on in those sections. Open up all other seats to all students, including the parquae and balcony.
    Until the student section is all general admission, like football, we won't fill it up. The problem with CA is that its forcing students to join this little group with forced cheers, etc. This type of thing generally pisses students off. Plus, if they get all the best seating, its just going to further the problem.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  14. #14
    Walk On
    Points: 13,316, Level: 34
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    nb06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    178
    Points
    13,316
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Who really wants to go out in subzero windchills to sit in crappy seats to watch an average team?
    Someone is going to have to sit in the "crappy seats". I dont think getting rid of CA will make any difference. Unless you show up early regardless you will sit in the balcony, which is the main reason for the problem as you stated above.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 415,025, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,771
    Points
    415,025
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 608
    Given: 307

    Re: Fixing the student section issue

    I don't really think the cheers are "forced." Those same cheers would be chanted if it was a GA student section. The only thing they do that really "encourages" people is the free throw movements. I don't mind those at all, whether they work or not. People don't have to cheer or anything, in fact a couple of my buddies don't really say much at all during the games. But when you are in the atmosphere of a bunch of people around you doing that same thing and cheering, the cheering starts to rub off on you.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM