Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 239

ISU vs Nebraska

I really don't see a single "good" win on their resume so far. They did beat Oregon earlier in the year which looked to be a good win at the time - but since then Oregon has kinda disappeared. While they are oh-fer in the conference season so far - two of the 4 games have been against Kansas - the other 2 at CU and hosting a pretty decent Baylor team.

However, they only have one player averaging double-figures in scoring - Maric. As long as we don't allow him to score 30+ on us (ugh), I'm not worried about them offensively - especially with our solid defensive play.

The Huskers don't give up a ton of points though. But in their 6 losses, 4 of of those teams got to 70+ on them and another was at 69. Only once did Nebraska win a game (Oregon in overtime) when they allowed over 70.

Both teams are pretty even in rebounds and turnovers per game - we have a slight edge in both. They're shooting better from the field, however we're better from the free-throw line.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Alex get the start Saturday...for a few reasons. His defense is better to start. Plus, I'd like to see us get physical with Maric early on to see if we can frustrate him and force him into a foul or two early. That would most likely cause us to get a foul or two and I'd much rather have AT in foul trouble than Jiri - especially with our best offensive weapon likely out (Wes) - we need our 3rd best scoring option not in foul trouble.

I also think giving AT the nod would really light a fire under Jiri. He's got something to prove. Generally, Maric has owned Jiri. Partially because Jiri has gotten into foul trouble early almost every time he's faces Maric and partially because Maric is very tough to defend. In a coupe games though - Jiri has done pretty well scoring on him and I think we need that to win.

I think last year we used Cory J to help defend Maric in Ames and surprisingly - he did a pretty decent job in that one...could see some of that again.

Of course, having Haluska and Lee continue to step up for us would certainly go a long ways toward a W.

I really think this is a game we should win. I'm certainly not feeling great about it with Wes being out and it being a conference road game - but the Huskers are just not a very good team and are on a 4 game road skid - looking to end that tonight against a hapless Mizzu team (I think they will).

I just hope we don't allow Nebraska to get right against us in Lincoln.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: ISU vs Nebraska

wes was in a boot today and it sounded from coach Mac last night that there is a very slim chance that he will play, idk if i like our chances on the road without our best player.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

is this game on tv? i have drill and dont think i will be able to watch it.. so i want to record it on my dvr

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Who is going to start at the 2 on Saturday if Wes cant go?

"Be the Ball"

Ty Webb

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 403

Road game for us... Probably not a HEALTHY Wes... Maric....

3 reasons I would be shocked if we win.

"Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Alex get the start Saturday...for a few reasons. His defense is better to start. Plus, I'd like to see us get physical with Maric early on to see if we can frustrate him and force him into a foul or two early. That would most likely cause us to get a foul or two and I'd much rather have AT in foul trouble than Jiri - especially with our best offensive weapon likely out (Wes) - we need our 3rd best scoring option not in foul trouble."

that is a very good point, but you could argue Jiri being on the bench at the start isn't much different than if he gets fouls later. (total time on the bench)

So being in foul trouble isnt much different than if you protect him by keeping him on the bench.

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

In last year's win at Nebraska, Ross Marsden came in and played Maric ok in the second half. Possibly Thompson could fill that roll. I would start Hubalek, though. Also, if Wesley can't play, do you start Cam Lee or Sean Haluska?

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm ready for Maric to leave. Seems like he always has a career day against us.

It's a game we could win but on the road I still would be more surprised to see us win.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

I would agree - it's not a sure win but it's a should win. We're going to suffer more of those long scoring droughts without Wesley but I think we have enough to get us by in Lincoln.

Regarding Lee...

Up until the Minnesota game where I did the coach for a day activities, I hadn't really had any reason to be impressed with Lee but that day changed my thinking drastically. I really think the kid has some talent and he's good at handling the ball and playing D. Of course watching him in practice for one day is different than expecting things on the court but he really looked to have some natural talent that day in practice and I've yet to hear anything but praise from those in the know. He appears to want to have a place on the floor and I really think he's going to continue to get more and more minutes as he develops some offensive ambitions. I think the Nebraska game could really be a game that he shines and builds on last night's success.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by nickwc View Post
    wes was in a boot today and it sounded from coach Mac last night that there is a very slim chance that he will play, idk if i like our chances on the road without our best player.
    We scored 42 points last night with him on the bench. There is no reason we should not at least make this a game on Saturday. We just need Sean, CJ and Cameron to step it up while he is on the bench.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I hear what you're saying ajk...I just want us to get inside Maric's head from the start and AT gives us the best chances to do that.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 'Clones Fan View Post
    Who is going to start at the 2 on Saturday if Wes cant go?
    I'd venture to guess Haluska but Lee will certainly see a lot of minutes. Or I could see Garrett getting his first start with him and Petey manning the guard spots at the beginning.

We've had both of them in the game more than onces this season.

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would like to see Garrett start. I realize that he is a Freshman and we are on the road, but he brings some things to the table that none of our other guards do. Garrett can penetrate to the hoop and dish it out. He is a bit out of control at times, but he is a nice spark.

I have always dogged Haluska, but he does go hard and play good defense. On hte road in hte Big 12, we may want an upper classman in there. Regardless, we should see a lot of PT for those guys.

"Be the Ball"

Ty Webb

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

Without a healthy Wesley, I don't know how anybody can caulk this game up as a win. Yeah we blew up in the second half against CU, but they are awful. I mean just awful.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We will find out how good they are when they play missouri If they handle missouri well like a blow out than we may have a tough time down there. But if Missouri with all there problems plays Neb really well than i think we have a good chance @ NEB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 449
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Tonight's husker game against mizzou will probably have a carryover effect for our game this weekend. If NE can halt their losing streak against a short-handed mizzou team, we will have our hands full with them. We have won 3 out of the last 4 regular season games against them, but Maric seems to pick our games to shine in. He has averaged 26.5 with highs of 36 & 37 against us. He also shot well in the other 2, but limiting his touches kept him to 13 & 20.

If Mizzou successfully defends their court tonight, Doc might very well have trouble getting his team ready on Sat. In either case, Petey needs to be up to the challenge of being hounded all night by NU's undersized PG. It could be another ugly game in terms of offensive flow.