Thread: Iowa Bridges

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Iowa Bridges

Found this writeup of US bridges interesting

The article that references it is a piece on the amount of tardy bridge inspections in the wake of last years tragedy in Minneapolis/St Paul.

Found it surprising that Iowa has the 5th most bridges of any state in the US. Don't know why, just never would've guessed that....

And even more disappointing that we have the 3rd most overall that are classified as "structurally deficient" (not percentage), 4th in number that are "structurally deficient or obsolete".

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 31

Re: Iowa Bridges

I am not driving over any more bridges!

32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

There is still an old wood bridge across the creek near my parents but I think they are finally going to get around to replacing it with a modern bridge here soon. Apparently a contractor looking to bid on it was recently asking neighbors for fill dirt.

Most of these older bridges though have visable weight limit signs posted. There are some bridges that even have warning signs that only 1 truck at a time may pass over it. There are probably a lot that need replaced but it all boils down to budgets really. There are only so many projects they can take on at once with the funds they have.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 17

Do these bridges include all of the old bridges on rarely used gravel roads?

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    Do these bridges include all of the old bridges on rarely used gravel roads?
    Given the sheer numbers - I'd say so. Over 20000 bridges in Iowa?

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 659
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 153

I say we tear down all those damn fancy bridges and replace them with a stable, flat, boring piece of concrete. Screw the bridges of Madison County.

'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

I drive across one of those bridges on a daily basis - the I-74 bridge connecting Bettendorf and Moline (IL). The original span was built in the 1930s as a two-lane bridge, the second "twin" span was built in the 1950s. Neither was built to the specs for Interstate travel (which didn't come into being until 10/30 years later) but yet it's an Interstate bridge anyway. 75,000+ cars travel the spans everyday for a setup that was designed I think for 35,000 cars. Engineers say the bridge is structurally safe (although the fact that the bridge is covered with rust doesn't give anyone warm, fuzzy feelings), but it is certainly structurally obsolete. The bridges have no shoulders whatsoever, so there's no possible way to escape a sticky situation. So when the bridge is absolutely packed during rush hour, if one car brakes unexpectedly it will cause at least a 5 car pileup and back up traffic for hours.

Most of us can't wait for them to start building the 8-lane bridge sometime within the next 5 years.

The I-74 bridge - it's a very beautiful bridge, it just can't serve in the capacity the area needs

What the bridge looks like at rush hour, during construction, or when there's an accident

What the replacement bridge will look like

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

I suffer from gephyrophobia

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 578
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Most of us can't wait for them to start building the 8-lane bridge sometime within the next 5 years.
    My company actually proposed on this bridge, but unfortunely did not win the work. It actually hasn't even been awarded yet. Design for this bridge will take at least three years. And even by then, they may not approve it for construction. Construction will probably take up to two years. So as cool of a project this is, I doubt you will be getting this bridge in five years.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by l2alphmacchio View Post
    My company actually proposed on this bridge, but unfortunely did not win the work. It actually hasn't even been awarded yet. Design for this bridge will take at least three years. And even by then, they may not approve it for construction. Construction will probably take up to two years. So as cool of a project this is, I doubt you will be getting this bridge in five years.
    Yeah, we're not getting it in five years, I meant to say construction is supposed to start five years from now. Apparently the majority of the funding is in place and they're working on "Right of Way". There was a barge out in the middle of the Mississippi surveying the riverbed in the general location of the bridge. Word around here is the bridge is a done deal, they just need to work out the fine details (such as designing the actual bridge).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Civil Engineer here. I want to point out a few things. I'm not saying any of you are wrong, but sometimes the public is sometimes mislead by the media.

A "structurally defficient" bridge does not really mean anything other than the bridge needs to be replaced within the next 10 or so years. So, a lot of people hear "structurally defficient" and think that the bridge is on the verge of collapse, this is not true.

Also, engineers deal with two aspects of design "stability" and "servicability." Stability refers to the engineers view of the design: Is is stable? Will it withstand the loading it is intended to? etc. Servicability refers to the publics view of the design: Does is APPEAR safe to the public. One person mentioned the I-74 bridge being covered in rust. That's not necessarily a stability issue, rather its a servicability issue because the public does not percieve it as safe. Another example would be cracks in the plaster of a house. One might think the thing is about to fall down upon first glance, but further inspection may reveal that its structurally sound.

Obviously, engineering/design/construction is driven by money. So, there are a lot of bridges in Iowa that need to be replaced, but someone has to foot the bill to replace those. That isn't the engineers place, that's for the talking heads up on capitol hill.

And yes, the bridge count number does include the rural bridges of Iowa. That's why we have so many because almost every rural road in Iowa has at least one bridge on it.

Just my two cents worth

TRUE & VALIANT

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by throwittoblythe View Post
    A "structurally defficient" bridge does not really mean anything other than the bridge needs to be replaced within the next 10 or so years. So, a lot of people hear "structurally defficient" and think that the bridge is on the verge of collapse, this is not true.

. . .

One person mentioned the I-74 bridge being covered in rust. That's not necessarily a stability issue, rather its a servicability issue because the public does not percieve it as safe. Another example would be cracks in the plaster of a house. One might think the thing is about to fall down upon first glance, but further inspection may reveal that its structurally sound.
    I understand what you're saying and I understand that the rust on the I-74 bridge isn't necessarily a structural issue (right now anyway). It's just when you're driving across the bridge at 50 mph and you see that much rust on a bridge it doesn't always give you a pleasant feeling inside.

I also understand the difference between "structurally deficient" and "structurally obsolete" - that's why I called the I-74 bridge "structurally obsolete" in the first place

Recruit
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I work in the bridge construction field and the sad part is it all come down to funding.

The state of Iowa will have over 200 Million in short fall for funding of projects this year alone and it does get better after that. There just isn't enough money to replace and fix everything that is in the plan moving forward.

The Iowa DOT is actually pretty well organized when it comes to planning and identifying what needs replaced next.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 501
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I understand what you're saying and I understand that the rust on the I-74 bridge isn't necessarily a structural issue (right now anyway). It's just when you're driving across the bridge at 50 mph and you see that much rust on a bridge it doesn't always give you a pleasant feeling inside.

I also understand the difference between "structurally deficient" and "structurally obsolete" - that's why I called the I-74 bridge "structurally obsolete" in the first place
    Oh yeah, I'm sure you do understand. I was just referring to the public in general. Your comment about the rust on the bridge is right on...its a servicability thing. It's structurally sound, otherwise people wouldn't be allowed to drive over it, but obviously the public views it as unsafe.

TRUE & VALIANT

Pro
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,001
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

Talking about the most bridges there's also some sort of statistic about having the most miles of roads per person. That decision to put a road every mile(even if it is gravel) leads to a lot of bridges in turn