Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Colorado Ski Ver.2

I thought I would ask this question as it seemed the other thread did well with responses.

I think I've narrowed down our trip to either go to Keyston, Breckenridge, or Dillon for our ski/wedding trip. Now I realize they are all pretty close together, but in regards to walking distance to places, which town has the better selection of shops, resturants, and winter activities? I was recommend to a nice Bed and Breakfast in Breckenridge, but it seems to be the farthest away by 15-20 min.

Here is the other kicker, I noticed that the time I was planning to do this, ISU is at Boulder for football. Unfortunately, those towns are an hour plus time away.

Anyway, any recommendations would be helpful.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 370

Re: Colorado Ski Ver.2

I can't remember where we went as a family when I was younger but I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those choices. Depending on when you go, there is a possibility there won't be a ton of snow - although I don't know what elevations those places are so you might be just fine. I honestly don't know when they start to get the big ski-type snows.

Keep in mind, speaking as somebody that knows you and the Mrs fairly well, you probably won't be on the slopes all day every day so make sure to find a place that has shopping or other activities. You might consider going where you're closer to other towns and activities in the even that you aren't on the slopes as much as you originally expected.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

The cyclones play in Boulder on 11/8/08. I hate to be the one to give you bad news, but most resorts won't be open by then. If they are, they'll have 1 or 2 runs open with man made snow for the die-hards that need to be the first to ski each season. Now, if the skiing isn't important, those are still really nice areas to do the wedding and spend some time away.

I'd say, of those towns, Breck probably has the coolest "village" and town areas. But it is just my opinion. I'm also 33 and the bar scene isn't something that excites me as much as it once did. So mostly, my wife and I like having access to different shops and restaurants and maybe a few low-key bars with good music.

Another thing to keep in mind is some retail places are also seasonal and won't open until the resort is open and they can count on tourist $$.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Just to give you an idea, when we went last year to Colorado for the ISU vs Colorado game in November, it got to almost 80 the first day that we were there and then a little colder the rest of the days. I don't think it got colder than 50 though. It was really nice weather considering the time of year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Breck and Boulder are more than an hour away, it is probably 3 hrs+ since you cannot drive diretly to there. Don't waste your time skiing keystone, that place is the worst resort in Colorado.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    I thought I would ask this question as it seemed the other thread did well with responses.

I think I've narrowed down our trip to either go to Keyston, Breckenridge, or Dillon for our ski/wedding trip. Now I realize they are all pretty close together, but in regards to walking distance to places, which town has the better selection of shops, resturants, and winter activities? I was recommend to a nice Bed and Breakfast in Breckenridge, but it seems to be the farthest away by 15-20 min.

Here is the other kicker, I noticed that the time I was planning to do this, ISU is at Boulder for football. Unfortunately, those towns are an hour plus time away.

Anyway, any recommendations would be helpful.
    hmmm...I've heard from many people 7 Oaks West of Boone is beautiful this time of year. Accomodations in Boone are only minutes away. Super 8 ftw.

You can't polish a turd.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 834
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Breck and Boulder are more than an hour away, it is probably 3 hrs+ since you cannot drive diretly to there. Don't waste your time skiing keystone, that place is the worst resort in Colorado.
    I actually like Keystone. Their backcountry isn't all that great, but they have some nice runs and glades, and their is usually not much of a lift line.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,284
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

"The cyclones play in Boulder on 11/8/08. I hate to be the one to give you bad news, but most resorts won't be open by then. If they are, they'll have 1 or 2 runs open with man made snow for the die-hards that need to be the first to ski each season. "

This is true. My fiancee did a similar trip the last time ISU played in Boulder. We ended up skiing/snowboarding at Loveland Ski Area, which I think is not far from Dillon (15-20 mi interstate), but I can understand if you want to get closer. We had friends in Denver and didn't care where we skiied, so I just called several mountains and looked on websites the week before, and that was one of the few that was open. Even though there were limited trails open, the crowds weren't bad either since it was early.

A cautionary note if you go to the game in Boulder: CU fans are some of the worst I have ever encountered. Borderline Iowa fans. Completely rude, unreasonable trust-fund babies. At most away games, opposing fans might do a little jabbing but all in good nature, but not there. All the fans we encountered were just jerks, and the experience was, frankly, not fun at all. I'm moving to Ft. Collins next summer, and a little disappointed that the only remotely close ISU game will be a biannual trip to that s***hole. I hope you have a better experience than I did.

Last edited by isukendall; 01-30-2008 at 10:58 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I actually like Keystone. Their backcountry isn't all that great, but they have some nice runs and glades, and their is usually not much of a lift line.
    The runs at keystone are nice. The front side though gets icey really fast, and the place is super crowded. If you stay away from dercums dash and never go to the base of the mountain, it's not too bad wait wise. If you hit the back side around the last alamo and then to the outback, it's alright and less crowded. I feel the mountain at keystone is not as much to blame as the conditions and the people.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    "A cautionary note if you go to the game in Boulder: CU fans are some of the worst I have ever encountered. Borderline Iowa fans. Completely rude, unreasonable trust-fund babies. At most away games, opposing fans might do a little jabbing but all in good nature, but not there. All the fans we encountered were just jerks, and the experience was, frankly, not fun at all. I'm moving to Ft. Collins next summer, and a little disappointed that the only remotely close ISU game will be a biannual trip to that s***hole. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
    This is sooooooo true. Last time I went, I sat in the ISU section and it wasn't so bad. The previous time I went, I didn't sit in the ISU section. I seriously was fearing for my safety. People threw stuff at us and yelled all sorts of nasty heckling remarks at us for wearing our Cyclone gear. CU fans are horrible.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Of the three listed (Keystone, Breckenridge, Dillon - which isn't a mountain, but on town on Lake Dillion near the mountains of Summit County), the place to stay if want shops, etc. is Breckenridge.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isukendall View Post
    A cautionary note if you go to the game in Boulder: CU fans are some of the worst I have ever encountered. Borderline Iowa fans. Completely rude, unreasonable trust-fund babies. At most away games, opposing fans might do a little jabbing but all in good nature, but not there. All the fans we encountered were just jerks, and the experience was, frankly, not fun at all. I'm moving to Ft. Collins next summer, and a little disappointed that the only remotely close ISU game will be a biannual trip to that s***hole. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
    Become a CSU fan. The tailgating at CSU is worlds better than boulder, it's a land grant university who had a coach that took them out of the cellar to places they hadn't been before but just "resigned" because he peaked and they were starting to decline again. The rival in state school is comprised of complete a-holes that wear black and gold. The campus is just north of the state capitol on I-25 (instead of I-35), the comparisons are pretty funny.

Starter
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 567
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    I. Now I realize they are all pretty close together, but in regards to walking distance to places, which town has the better selection of shops, resturants, and winter activities?
    Breck would fit with the things that you want to do the best. It is the bes town out of the ones you mentioned, probably in Colorado also, by far. Your Bride will thank me. Dillon would be 2nd and Keystone 3rd.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Wow, great feedback. I wasn't sure if there would be a lot of snow or not. Someone told me about Estates Park with Stanely Hotel. that seemed to be closer for the game, but maybe the game just isn't the thing to do at all. A lot ot consider.

My fav is Breck at this point. Of course there is Vail. Oh, I was also told about Telluride, but that is a ways away for driving.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you're going early in November the only hope for skiing would be Loveland or A-Basin, and even those places will be severely limited. In my opinion, if you're looking for a mountain get away when skiing isn't really on the table I'd go further west to the Telluride/Ouray area.