Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Red face The Atmosphere At Jack Trice

Sometimes I feel like Jack Trice, with a few minor adjustments could become one of the toughest places to play at. Were the energy is so high and the crowd is so loud that the opposing quarterback feels like the world is coming down on top of him. Even with only 55,000 in attendance.

That said, what do you think are some things you'd like to see at Jack Trice that would keep the momentum going at home. I think last year there were several times (ie Iowa and Colorado) where the energy was so high and the players just fed off that on their way to dominating performances.

My suggestions:

1) Bring a decimeter to the game and start measuring crowd noise and post it, give the fans something to shoot for to maybe encourage everyone (not just students) to be loud. Keep track of the recordings and encourage fans to break the record for highest mark on the decimeter.

2) Play "Thunderstruck" each time the defense gets a stop. Give the defense an identity and use that to rile up the crowd. The idea of the crowd getting into it and shouting "Na Na Na Thunder!" over and over again as the defense comes off the field seems like a plausable and energizing idea.

Those are just a couple of my suggestions. I would love to see the entire crowd get more involved in games and make Jack Trice an intimidating place to play so maybe we don't have to stress out last mininute wins.

What are your thoughts or ideas?

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Re: The Atmosphere At Jack Trice

take Neil Diamond off the music page

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

We have to do something different at halftime. The songs that were played were just dumb. I mean, I love Neil Diamond but not at halftime of a football game. We need to be showing highlights with some rock blaring in the background. I loved the two or three play highlights being shown to thunderstruck when the defense was taking the field. More of that, less Neil Diamond IMO.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by price26 View Post
    1) Bring a decimeter to the game and start measuring crowd noise and post it, give the fans something to shoot for to maybe encourage everyone (not just students) to be loud. Keep track of the recordings and encourage fans to break the record for highest mark on the decimeter.
    I like this idea, but I think you could take it a step further. Instead of that annoying little "NOISE!" graphic they show on the video screen, they should show the current decibel count during big plays, and have the numbers shake as the number gets larger and larger. Obviously, you can't put the recorder at the center of the field, but at least have it follow the chains so that you have somewhat of a good reading for how loud the stadium is at that point on the field.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 51

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    take Neil Diamond off the music page
    That would be a great start.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Decimeter won't happen. Too gimmicky...and when we need to be the loudest, who is really giving a crap how loud it actually is? I would hope fans would be cheering for a big stop instead of looking at the decimeter to see how loud it is.

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by price26 View Post
    Sometimes I feel like Jack Trice, with a few minor adjustments could become one of the toughest places to play at. Were the energy is so high and the crowd is so loud that the opposing quarterback feels like the world is coming down on top of him. Even with only 55,000 in attendance.

That said, what do you think are some things you'd like to see at Jack Trice that would keep the momentum going at home. I think last year there were several times (ie Iowa and Colorado) where the energy was so high and the players just fed off that on their way to dominating performances.

My suggestions:

2) Play "Thunderstruck" each time the defense gets a stop. Give the defense an identity and use that to rile up the crowd. The idea of the crowd getting into it and shouting "Na Na Na Thunder!" over and over again as the defense comes off the field seems like a plausable and energizing idea.

Those are just a couple of my suggestions. I would love to see the entire crowd get more involved in games and make Jack Trice an intimidating place to play so maybe we don't have to stress out last mininute wins.

What are your thoughts or ideas?

Excellent ideas. Atmosphere is key to winning games and getting recruits. Bowling in the endzone will help with the atmosphere and the decibal level.

I wish more people would do first down cheer with the band. Although, moving the band to the student section side was one of the smartest things done this year. The students are learning the cheers and hopefully it will bleed off to the rest of the stadium. I was always disappointed that cyclone aerobics didn't catch on faster(although its starting to now thanks to J. johnson.) It's an easy cheer and the stadium would look sweet if everyone did it.

win or lose i look for the NE game to be a good atmosphere.

Last edited by heshwar; 10-02-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by excytin View Post
    Decimeter won't happen. Too gimmicky...and when we need to be the loudest, who is really giving a crap how loud it actually is? I would hope fans would be cheering for a big stop instead of looking at the decimeter to see how loud it is.

I think you are wrong about that. Any little thing to make it more fun to be loud is a great idea. Combining the need for a stop and seeing how loud it is could bring some real good noise!!

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

HEEYYYYYY GO STATE!

I think I heard that only once last Saturday. It's my favorite one and it's completely awesome when we just scored a big play because the whole crowd does it!!

The pregame atmosphere in the stadium still needs improvement, and I'm talking about what Jeff Johnson does with the chant practice. We need to make flyers or something so EVERYBODY knows what the heck is going on and WHO chants WHAT WHEN! Half the time at the north end, we can't hear what's being said on the PA it's that quiet over there. They need to fix that, add more speakers to the North end zone.

Also, I love what Jeff Johnson is trying to accomplish but I think sometimes the way he organizes it is bad. When we chant something, he will either interupt, give us bad timing, or something to throw everyone off. Also, we need to stick to more simple chants. I love the I-S-U chant where they go around the stadium and each side has a letter. The CY-CL-ON-ES one is too difficult for most fans to comprehend, and the crowd was pathetic last weekend with that one.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

just to give a jeff johnson a little bit of an out - that microphone on the field has about a full second delay between what he says, and what comes outta the speakers. That's the main reason his timing sounds off. He says it right on the field, but what comes out of the speakers is way late. Don't know how you would fix that - but just so you know why that is...

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

has anyone emailed Jamie Pollard about hte Neil Diamond issue? if so what did he have to say about it.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 868
    Given: 177

Not just in Jack Trice, but in AMES. Not to talk up the Hawks, but I am very impressed with how much the city of Iowa City gets into their team, and how much Ames does not. Almost every bar in Iowa City does last call with the Iowa fight song, even in the dead of summer. I dont think I have ever heard one bar in Ames play the ISU fight song. There is just so much more the city and their businesses could do to get the area pumped up for out sports, and I wish Pollard would try to do something about this.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I hate to talk up the Hawks as well, but they have some very good fan involvement, and it shows because Kinnick is a very difficult place to play. Combine that with a good team and you have success. Iowa does the I-O-W-A chant after every score and what is impressive is that it never fades away and everyone gets involved, even the alumni and they keep it going until the next play starts.

I sent my suggestions to Mary Pink, marketing director, but I havn't heard back from here yet.

On the Niel Diamond, we students love it, Sweet Caroline, BUM BUM BUM, good times never felt so good SO GOOD SO GOOD. I must admit it was mistimed though, down 21-7 at the half. Not exactly good times.

And that was my idea to further the decibal idea. To have it on the board so fans can see as they crank it up. I know it sounds silly that we should have to entice fans, but it would be a good gimmick to get them into it.

Another thing I had to comment on was fan football intelligence. It drives me nuts when we start up the LETS GO STATE chant with our offense getting into the huddle and coming up to the line. During timeouts and breaks it is fine, but our fans need to realize to tone it down when the offense goes into the huddle and comes up to the line. A kid next to me said it best: "Use your inside voices!"

Recruit
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

heres one lol get rid of that guy that comes out before the game and trys to teach new chants

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Mary is currently on maternity leave.
    Maybe try some one else with athletic marketing.