Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

Ames Life after ISU

After graduation from ISU, I moved out of Iowa 2 1/2 years ago for my job. I was contemplating a move back to Ames for a future job. I was wondering if anyone on here lives in Ames now, and how is life in Ames different from College live in Ames? Do the students annoy you? Is it okay in the summer? etc . . .?

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Ames Life after ISU

My wife and I came back and did this very thing. It was kind of cool, but I didn't live on-campus when I was at ISU, so it wasn't that big of a shift.

We've ended up moving out of Ames because we could get a better house/job, but are still in the area, so we can occasionally visit the campus.

We love Central Iowa.

Central Iowa in Ames is the best time of year, imo. But, then again, I was a "year-around" student, so I already knew that.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I wish I still lived in Ames. I love that town. The commute would kill me though.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 31

All I can say is wait for short season. That will make you want to move back!

32 years later and I am still riding on the back.

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 202

Housing is pretty expensive in Ames in relation to the rest of central Iowa.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 49

I do not like Ames as a city. I grew up there, and always said I wanted to stay. Then I left, and I would never go back. I like the DSM area a lot more now. Cheaper housing, better jobs, better stores. Easier to get around.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Recruit
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Spent 10+ years away from Iowa after graduation but had the opportunity to move back seven years ago. It has been a great move for the family and good to be back in central Iowa.

We considered living in Ames but settled north of Des Moines....close enough to get to ISU and Ames easily and that works for us.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

If you are within 20 miles, you have not left Ames. At 200 miles, you probablky visit many other cities. At 1000 miles, you may not be back much. If you move to California or Hawaii, you may never comeback.

That said, I did move from one town and then returned to the town several years later. It was a good move back.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

The longer you're out, the less enchanted you'll be with the student life.

I moved to Cedar Falls when I was 26 and absolutely loved the social atmosphere the first few years. Got married and we got less and less involved with that scene. We live in Waterloo now and love the fact tha traffic is better and you're not dealing with long lines of students at every store. Summer time in Cedar Falls is still great when everything is slower paced.

If I had to chose between Ames and Cedar Falls, I'd probably take Cedar Falls now...

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I do not like Ames as a city. I grew up there, and always said I wanted to stay. Then I left, and I would never go back. I like the DSM area a lot more now. Cheaper housing, better jobs, better stores. Easier to get around.
    My experience is the complete opposite. I too grew up in Ames and always thought it was boring. After moving to a big city and having 3 kids, I can't think of a better place to raise a family than Ames. Low crime, no traffic, great schools, sense of community, great sports that don't cost hundreds of dollars to see.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I've lived in Ames forever, seriously. I worked in Des Moines for a short time after I graduated but I hated it. I transfered back to Ames as soon as I could. Unless something major changes I don't plan on leaving Ames, not in the forseeable future anyways.

We found a house that's big but not too expensive, right across from a huge open field, just a few blocks from the stadium, what more could I ask for?

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,012
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 57

I moved back to Ames after spending a few years away and I'm happy with my decision. I bought a home so now that I'm paying property taxes, I pay more attention to what goes on in the community - city council stuff, crime, etc. It is frustrating to deal with some of the boneheaded decisions the city makes, but all in all it's okay. Des Moines does have a lot of appeal now, however. I'm just not a fan of cookie cutter houses so Ankeny is ugly to me and I would never live there, just shop. It will be nice if they ever build this mall in Ames.

I think it was last winter that my girlfriend and I went to Welch Ave one night because they were skiing and snowboarding down the hill with a few jumps and rails. (Yes, it was a planned event.) I really enjoyed it and thought to myself that you don't see these things in other non-college towns. I like the energy that the college population brings. The short shorts are nice too.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I came close to moving back a year after I graduated (class of 2000) but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I get my fill of Welch, Peoples (RIP) and the other watering holes when I get to Ames for a handful of FB and MBB games each year. It's nice to visit, but I'd be more about living somewhere I haven't while I was in my early 20's. The comment about Cedar Falls was dead on-it's a great town regardless of when UNI is in session or not. You have to do what's best for you-good luck

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174

We've lived in Ames since graduation. I didn't think housing was too outrageous, we live on the West side. Students can be annoying during VEISHA and the couple days following finals, but if you move up North I doubt you would even notice.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

We moved back after living in Omaha a few years. Got a decent job offer in Ames. We really like it. Now, the older you get, the less likely to visit Welch Ave, but that's OK. We have a baby now and don't get out as much as we used to. But there are some places on Main St that are fun and not overcrowded with students. Places like Whiskey River, DGs Taphouse, London Underground. And the students that are there understand that it isn't Welch Ave and are comfortable with people in their late 20s early 30s (or older) around.

Houses in Ames are expensive. You get more house for your money in the smaller surrounding towns, but it probably evens out with the commute. I'd hate to have to drive for every little thing I need to buy. We really missed the restaurants and shopping that Omaha had after moving to Ames, but I think that is improving. It has already and we've only been here a few years.

As for the students, there are none in our neighborhood, so really all they affect for me is traffic and waiting in line. We do LOVE the summer here...traffic is down, and they have live music every Friday around Main St. Oh yeah, and the best thing? Driving across town for MBB and FB games.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX