Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 63

Position grades

I thought it would be fun to grade our team by position up to this point in the season. That and I am putting off studying.

PG: C-

The reason I don't give a lower grade here is that I really love the effort Petey gives. He is just so limited vertically that he can't do much on offense. Garrett's potential keeps the grade out of the D range as well.

SG: B

Wes is playing most of his minutes here, and he is without question our best player. Grading Wes alone, I would give him a A, but I am taking his back-ups into account, where we have gotten very little production. Hopefully Haluska knocked the rust off at the end of the game at KSU and can be the scorer he looked like he would in the summer league. If he can't, we need to see what spark Lee or Boozer can give us.

SF: B

Rashon has been great for us, but he is still limited in what he brings. Good defender, great effort, yet average at best on offense. His heart and effort keep this grade in the B range. Not much to talk about backing him up, as Wes usually slides over to the 3 when Rashon is out.

PF: C

Craig has all the potential in the world, but he was absolutely abused the past couple games. Mostly on defense. AT is a better defender, but much more limited on offense. Cory has been riding the pine mostly as of late, and that will probably continue.

C: D

If there is one position I have been the most disappointed in, it start right here with Jiri. He has been jacking up some terrible shots, and not mixing it up like we had seen in the second half of the season last year. AT is again a better defender here, but again, much more limited on offense. If we are going to finish this year with a shot at the post season, it's going to have to start and end with Jiri controlling in the middle.

Thoughts, comments?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 283

Re: Position grades

I like Jiri, dont get me wrong, but he gets pushed around down there a ton. Even by guys who arent that much stronger.

The freshman get somewhat of a pass from me.

Wes I think is doing a good job and he looks like he is improving as he goes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 756
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 13

Agree with most but I might even put our PF at the C- D+ range.

Addict
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

I like Peterson's hustle and work ethic but this guy is out-matched in Big 12 play. He's a lot like Cory Johnson, lots of heart and hustle but is more of a situational type player that doesn't fit in some games and others he might really be able to contribute in a situation that suits his capabilities.

I'm a little nervous about our post play next season outside of Brackins but hopefully we finally get this guard situation taken care of with Buckley, Eikmeier, and Staiger all joining the rotation Diante coming back with a little more muscle and experience hopefully.

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If Brackins and Hubalek would get squared up to the basket instead of trying to throw up shots quickly, we would be a lot better off.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    If Brackins and Hubalek would get squared up to the basket instead of trying to throw up shots quickly, we would be a lot better off.
    I posted this earlier about Brackins. He never squares up. I think it will come when he has the confidence and strength, but hopefully it doesn't become a bad habit.

Sometimes if a team runs a flex offense, a player's body is naturally not square to the basket because of a curl cut, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I thought it would be fun to grade our team by position up to this point in the season. That and I am putting off studying.

PG: C-

The reason I don't give a lower grade here is that I really love the effort Petey gives. He is just so limited vertically that he can't do much on offense. Garrett's potential keeps the grade out of the D range as well.

SG: B

Wes is playing most of his minutes here, and he is without question our best player. Grading Wes alone, I would give him a A, but I am taking his back-ups into account, where we have gotten very little production. Hopefully Haluska knocked the rust off at the end of the game at KSU and can be the scorer he looked like he would in the summer league. If he can't, we need to see what spark Lee or Boozer can give us.

SF: B

Rashon has been great for us, but he is still limited in what he brings. Good defender, great effort, yet average at best on offense. His heart and effort keep this grade in the B range. Not much to talk about backing him up, as Wes usually slides over to the 3 when Rashon is out.

PF: C

Craig has all the potential in the world, but he was absolutely abused the past couple games. Mostly on defense. AT is a better defender, but much more limited on offense. Cory has been riding the pine mostly as of late, and that will probably continue.

C: D

If there is one position I have been the most disappointed in, it start right here with Jiri. He has been jacking up some terrible shots, and not mixing it up like we had seen in the second half of the season last year. AT is again a better defender here, but again, much more limited on offense. If we are going to finish this year with a shot at the post season, it's going to have to start and end with Jiri controlling in the middle.

Thoughts, comments?
    I'm so tired of hearing this...I guess he needs to shoot 8 for 19 in a game to make him more than "average at best"? He averages two less points than craig and Jiri, but shoots half as much. Basketball is more than about scoring points, and Rahshon does every single one of those other aspects, while at the same time, still avg. 10 ppg. Wes scores, not so good at defense, ok at rebounds, but as long as he scores, he is a God. Come on. Mac even said it in the paper the other day, that if you shoot 19 times a game, you should have 20 points, but you need to be doing all the other things to win a game. Wes does not deserve an "A", and I bet if you asked Mac that, he would say the same thing.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The only person on the team who deserves an A is Cam, and that's because every time he has been called up to make a great defensive play, he has done it. He comes in and does what he's supposed to do every time. Other than that, I don't think anyone deserves an A.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfan13 View Post
    I'm so tired of hearing this...I guess he needs to shoot 8 for 19 in a game to make him more than "average at best"? He averages two less points than craig and Jiri, but shoots half as much. Basketball is more than about scoring points, and Rahshon does every single one of those other aspects, while at the same time, still avg. 10 ppg. Wes scores, not so good at defense, ok at rebounds, but as long as he scores, he is a God. Come on. Mac even said it in the paper the other day, that if you shoot 19 times a game, you should have 20 points, but you need to be doing all the other things to win a game. Wes does not deserve an "A", and I bet if you asked Mac that, he would say the same thing.
    While I agree with everything you said, I still have to ask.... does Rahshon know some of the things in which you type on these message boards?

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    While I agree with everything you said, I still have to ask.... does Rahshon know some of the things in which you type on these message boards?
    Yes he does. So does Coach Mac. I say the same things that many other fans say and things Coach Mac says himself. Once again, if I say someone needs to work on something, that's bad?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The bottom line is Wes can get his own shot, Rashon can't. And I'll let you in on a little secret, Wes is not much worse of a defender than Rashon, and is just as good of a rebounder.

Nothing I said in my original post was insulting or untrue. You are just upset that I said Wes is our best player. I gave Rashon a B, clearly labeling him our second best player, which he is.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And by the way, I graded him higher than Craig or Jiri. So why compare them?

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    The bottom line is Wes can get his own shot, Rashon can't. And I'll let you in on a little secret, Wes is not much worse of a defender than Rashon, and is just as good of a rebounder.

Nothing I said in my original post was insulting or untrue. You are just upset that I said Wes is our best player. I gave Rashon a B, clearly labeling him our second best player, which he is.
    I think you took my post wrong. I'm not saying Wes isn't good. I completely agree that he is our best player, but I would not say that he deserves an "A". I don't think Rahshon is our best player, but I also don't think he is "average at best". And to say Wes is as good a defender is not true at all. If he was, he would be the one they put on their best player. As far as rebounds, they are about exactly the same when it comes to rebounds.

You took my post like I am saying Rahshon is better than Wes. It's not that, it's that I don't like the way you say statements like Rahshon is average at best. I'm sure a lot of Division I coaches would disagree with that comment also. It just seems people point out all the things wrong with everyone else on the team but Wes. He has a lot of things he needs to work on too, so if you're going to talk about everyone else and what they lack/need work on, you should include Wes in that also. He is not a very good defender, and like I said, Mac even makes that statement in the press quite often.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 256

I'm so tired of hearing this...I guess he needs to shoot 8 for 19 in a game to make him more than "average at best"? He averages two less points than craig and Jiri, but shoots half as much. Basketball is more than about scoring points, and Rahshon does every single one of those other aspects, while at the same time, still avg. 10 ppg.

BURN!!! good job outta you.

Rookie
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

He said his offense is average at best.... which I would probably say this year his offense has moved a little bit higher due to a better shot. But you are acting like he is saying that Rahshon is an average player at best bringing rebounds and defense into this, which isn't what he said... because i think if he were talking about as a whole player he is a lot higher than around average and everyone knows that!