Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Mac's not going anywhere

I really doubt Mac will be let go anytime soon. My thoughts are based on analyzing the situation and not necessarily my personal opinion. Personally, Mac lost me last year. We should have been at least 9-2 playing in the Big 12 title game. I do not think Mac can consistently win more than 6-7 games a year. This year is not helping my opinion. He is a terrific rebuilder but does not seem to be the guy to go to the next level. These are my reasons why now is not the time.

-- Mac is signed until June 2010. The buyout for Mac and his coaches would be anywhere from $3-5 million. It is hard to do that on a $30 million budget with a $135 million renovation especially after the Morgan buyout

-- Record season ticket sales and record single game attendance. It is hard to get rid of a guy who is doing that.

-- I would think a $135 million renovation is easier to accomplish with Mac than without. Would you rather take a new coach who has not coached a game at ISU or Mac to a prospective donor? I think Mac helps sell ISU, the program and the need for changes.

-- At this point, he has really done nothing to deserve to get fired. We are 3-2 and have really only played one good half of football in 5 games. It has been very disappointing but most expected us to be 3-2 at this point. If we end up 3-9, that would be a reason to fire but if we end up with 6-7 wins, I do not think the case is strong enough yet.

My prediction is that we will win 6-7 games this year and 6-7 games next year. In 2008, Mac will be given an ultimatum of win or else. I would think the expectations would be Big 12 North title or very good bowl game if we go 6-2 in the North and lose the tie breaker. I do not think Mac will win more than 7 games in 2006, 2007 or 2008. By fall 2009, we will have a new coach. Some of the renovations will be in place, we hopefully will have more $ for salaries and the bowling out scheduled for completion in 2010. We will have some good things to sell to prospective coaches.

Just my thoughts, of course all changes when the W-L's start happening.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: Mac's not going anywhere

Interesting thought. I concur. Mac will be coach for some time. I think ISU is seeing more revenue from football than ever. Why would you fire mac for that? Sure some of the fans complain, but so what? Michigan fans think they should fire Carr and he is 106-34. Hell the only fan base you could find 100% satisfied with their coach is Notre Dum. And that guy is a genius! Really, he is.

A decent football team has fewer headaches than a good one. With the national media attention of a good program comes potential for embarassment.

I think the whole big 12 North is improving, and it will be tough to get 6-7 wins very soon. I see one program on the decline (maybe two if you count us) and the rest on the rise. And I think Colorado will not be down long. I think ISU will move down the pecking order from 2-3 in the north to 5 or so. I don't think this will get mac fired. It should, but it won't.

And you are right, I expected us to be 3-2 as well. Of course I thought our three wins would be slaughters, and our two losses closer, but still, 3-2. No point in burning him at the stake yet.

Last edited by threemuch; 10-02-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

agreed. Quick question: can anyone imagine ISU football right now w/o McCarney? I would have a hard time doing it. he is pretty much the only coach I can recall at the position

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

my prediction is that he'll get at least one more year regardless of how this season plays out. the buyouts are too expensive and he continues to do "just enough" to keep the job.

it's hard for me to imagine...but i remember some of the walden years. does anyone listent to walden on kxno?? i think he's hilarious. glad he's not the coach, but he is a funny man.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 558

I agree that he will not be fired, and I also agree that he has done nothing to deserve being fired. I think that he has ISU to the point where, out of every five years, we can expect one losing season, three or so minor bowl games, and maybe one year where they rise up and win 8 or 9, maybe even 10 sometime. I think he is capable of pulling out that special season every once in a while, but things have to line up just right......no injuries to impact players, no critical mistakes in the big games, catching the right schedule at the right time. I have to say that I am pretty happy with that.

On the other side of it, if a person were to argue that he should be fired, we have to look at who could be found that would be an improvement. Having fired a coach who has brought the program to a new level of winning, who would be interested? My thought is that the big names in the national spotlight would not, they are looking for that big time coaching vacancy. Not the hot mid major coach, they aren't going to jump for a chance to go to a program who just ran out a successful coach. So, basically they would be looking for a wild card midmajor coach, or a coordinator from a high major. Either one is a major roll of the dice. We have seen this scenario many, many times over the last few years.....run out a decent coach and then go through an embarrassing series of polite declines to job offers until it is a national side joke. (SEE NEBRASKA)

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    agreed. Quick question: can anyone imagine ISU football right now w/o McCarney? I would have a hard time doing it. he is pretty much the only coach I can recall at the position
    Oh, I can. 1-3 wins a year isn't fun. Getting 50 dropped on you two or three times a season. Getting harassed by hawk fans and having nothing to say back at all. "yeah, well, your a jerk." While true, isn't much of a defense from a rabid hawkeye with 20 years straight of domination to draw upon.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

I don't see a "win or else" in 2008 when Meyer and Blythe are gone. Despite us losing 80% of our OL next year, I think next year would be the year, if it would happen. The senior years of our two offensive studs, and a year of experience for the fastest defense in school history. If next year isn't win or else, then I think we will ride his contract out and then evaluate our position in 2010.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Unfortunately, given the $ financial needs for all of the capital improvements and renovations ISU is undertaking over the next few years, the "high profile" donors will probably have the say if Mac stays or is gone. If a majority of those make the $135 million happen, a $3-5 million buyout wouldn't be much to make it happen.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Amy,
    I do remember the Walden years. Years with 1/10th the administration support Mac has. However, Creiner (sp?) and Duncan where the root of this mess. Walden had his time and he seems to be doing quite well today. As you mentioned KXNO, also he is the color man for his Washington State team, as well does a sunday night call in with Jim Zabel. Two guys name Jim, 6pm WHO. Hilarious listening to them, and they have prime quests as speakers also.

As for Mac, he lost me much quicker than he did you folks. Smokescreens only go so far. He reached that point. Great for the ISU program, but he must step it up a solid notch. I cannot state all donors are unhappy, but he is aware of everyones expectations.

Pollards in a tough situation, but he will be on top of all the events.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I've listened to Walden on WHO and KXNO many times and can't say I've ever been overly impressed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

Mac has really really improved and revitalized this football program. Getting 6 or 7 wins a year beats the heck out of 2 or 3 like we used to get. He has taken the program to new heights. It has been mentioned before that season ticket sales have been increasing rapidly since he has been here. I think that part of the reason why it was an all time record this year is because of the expectations. This was supposed to be a great football team. Although we have won all the games we were expected to and lost the ones we were expected to, I can't help but think we shouldn't have had to go down to the very last play of the game to decide our wins. Talk about the number of times we have gone to a bowl game, it used to be impressive to go to a bowl. This year there are 32 bowl games thats 64 teams get to go to a bowl game. This is more than half the teams that play D1 football.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Unfortunately, Mac has put the ISU program in a Catch-22:

How do you justify firing the most successful coach football coach in the history of Iowa State? (5 winning seasons and bowl games in 6 years, the only 2 bowl wins in school history - and if it could easily be 4 out of 5 wins, beating iowa 5 straight years, and basically turning the program around after living for 20 years in the depths of the big 8 and big xii, all after being told by Hayden Fry before taking the job that he'd never be able to win at ISU)

How do you justify keeping a guy who's mired in mediocraty and doesn't appear to be able to take the next step (the best season being 9 wins the year he turned the program, and then no more than 7 wins each of the following seasons).

This situation is the reason why this message board is having the "Fire Mac" debate. both sides are right.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post

On the other side of it, if a person were to argue that he should be fired, we have to look at who could be found that would be an improvement. Having fired a coach who has brought the program to a new level of winning, who would be interested? My thought is that the big names in the national spotlight would not, they are looking for that big time coaching vacancy. Not the hot mid major coach, they aren't going to jump for a chance to go to a program who just ran out a successful coach. So, basically they would be looking for a wild card midmajor coach, or a coordinator from a high major. Either one is a major roll of the dice. We have seen this scenario many, many times over the last few years.....run out a decent coach and then go through an embarrassing series of polite declines to job offers until it is a national side joke. (SEE NEBRASKA)
    STEVE LONEY!!!!!

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kuney1 View Post
    I've listened to Walden on WHO and KXNO many times and can't say I've ever been overly impressed.
    oh, i didn't say impressed...i said funny. he is just so quirky...tells a good story...reminds me of hayden fry, but without the talent of being a good coach. i just love his voice, his candor, and his ego.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does anyone know how much difference there is in the buyout amounts at the end of this season vs closer to the end of the contract? My base assumption is that the buyout amount would be the yearly$ x years left on the contract. However, a contract stipulating a different buyout amount, even a fixed buyout amount makes sense.