Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 3

Some help with "decommits", please

I'm a little fuzzy on this decommit thing. I understand from some of the posts that Coach Chiz pulls a scholarship offer from a recruit who verbally commits to ISU, then visits another school. Is there any way of telling what caused the break-up, the recruit having second thoughts about ISU, and telling us he's changed his mind, or the recruit thinking he's going to have a good time at other schools he's not interested in, then gets his scholly offer yanked by us? Frankly, pulling offers when we need talent badly looks a little risky. But I admire the staff for having the guts to take a stand.

I bleed Cardinal & Gold

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Some help with "decommits", please

you said it perfectly in your last sentence. You need to read Paul Clark's article about the situation on CycloneReport.com and Jeremy's "No more little brother" article here at CF. There's been plenty of talk about the decommits and these moves - bottom line, if you want to take your other visits, then you shouldn't commit, and we'll be happy to keep going after you and trying to tell you why ISU is best. But if you give us a verbal commit, it's your word that you're done with the process and want to be at ISU. No need to keep looking unless you're just holding onto the scholly spot while looking for a better situation.

That's it.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 115

I think this staff wants kids that are 100% commited to ISU. Any kid can say at a given moment yes I will come and have second thoughts. I think this policy is in place to let kids know his commitment is the real deal and make sure the kid thinks it through good and hard before making his mind up.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

The word "commit" is not entirely accurate. There is no actual signed commitment until the signing date in February. It is rather a verbal interest in a school that can change like the wind. When better offers come, whatever better may mean to a high school kid, some look and change their mind and look elsewhere. It may be a larger school, closer to home or any other reason. Iowa State is taking the approach that if you commit to us and we make you a scholarship offer, we expect you to honor it. If you look elsewhere, you have broken your word and the offer is recinded. I believe it is the right thing to do. If these guys can jerk the coaches around up to the signing date, who knows who we would have. So the players we have ARE committed to Iowa State, want to play here, and are the kind of players Chizik is looking for. More power to him!

Starter
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

No Problem with Chizek's Approach

It might be painful in the short term, but I think it gets the message out that if a recruit commits to ISU they better mean it.

IMO the issue comes down to this. If a kid commits to ISU there is a decent chance that we de-emphasize recruiting other players at his position. It puts ISU in a bind to find a similar quality player at such a late date in the recruiting process.

I'd personally like to see 2 signing dates in FB, similar to hoops. Have an early signing date the 1st Wednesday in December and a 2nd in February.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

does the public know who it is yet that got his scholarship taken away

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I love this approach to recruiting, which has gotten so far out-of-whack that it's now almost as important as the season itself. I admit, i click onto scout.com every couple days to check the news and see if kids have committed.

But if Chizik and his staff are doing things the right way, whether they lose a 3-star kid to get a 2-star kid, I'm all for it. I would rather have a "2-star" recruit that wants to play his butt of for Iowa State, than some "3-star" guy who is a flake and doesn't really care where he goes as long as he gets his playing time and shot at the nfl.

And obviously when you see more stars behind a kids name, you feel a little better about the level of athlete's being recruited. But you can never know how a kid will produce based on ratings. Anyone remember how highly touted Jake Christensen was???

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by msadams82 View Post
    Anyone remember how highly touted Jake Christensen was???
    Four-star flop, baby. Our backup QB's are better.

But in fairness to Christensen it's not all his fault -- he has no talent around him. Peyton Manning would struggle on that team.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

I believe the qbs can be bigger flops than most other players. If they do not pan out, what can thy do besides be wide receivers? However, 4 stars may also indicate some well known schools are chasing the recruit also. This is an indicator he is a good recruit. You can not just ignore the stars. All you can do is pooh pooh the system. In my book, it is an indicator the player might eventually be good. Yet academics, injuries, situations, rogue acts may undo the potential.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-27-2008 at 06:01 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 6

Why couldn't we move the "lookers" to the bottom of the list, so that maybe we could re-offer a scholarship to them on the last day, if they are still available?

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I believe the qbs can be bigger flops than most other players. If they do not an out, what can thy do besides be wide receivers? However, 4 stars may also indicate some well known schools are chasing the recruit also. This is an indicator he is a good recruit. You can not just ignore the stars. All you can do is poh pooh the sytem. In my book, it is an indicator the player might eventually be good. Yet academics, injuries, situations, rogue acts may undo the potential.
    Depending on the style alot of high school qb's end up as db's(ex. Nik Moser) so I'm guessing you could do the same thing with a college one just would have less time to make the conversion.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I believe the qbs can be bigger flops than most other players. If they do not an out, what can thy do besides be wide receivers? However, 4 stars may also indicate some well known schools are chasing the recruit also. This is an indicator he is a good recruit. You can not just ignore the stars. All you can do is poh pooh the sytem. In my book, it is an indicator the player might eventually be good. Yet academics, injuries, situations, rogue acts may undo the potential.
    I agree. I dont believe I said to ignore the stars, just to not put all your eggs into that one basket.

Obviously if a kid receives that sort of recognition, that means he must be a decent player. However, that does not translate to production on the field and in the classroom. The stars do lend themselves to potential. I cannot deny that. But potential is a waste if you have the wrong people in charge of fostering that into something great. (i.e. Tim Brewster)

I just try not to get too worked up over stars. Maybe I'm crazy, but who knows how those kids will pan out.