Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Cloverfield

  1. #1
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    JDB41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    122
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cloverfield

    I just seen that I guess what you would call a movie and it was HORRIBLE! I would not recommend it at all! I am actually ****** that I paid to see it so fair warning if you want to see it at least rent that way you can turn it off and not wreck your night...... wow that actually made me feel a little better



  2. #2
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    JHutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    576
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cloverfield

    i'm totally 180 to that...unbelieveable movie...original and well made


    ISU ROCKS!!!!

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 59,397, Level: 75
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    League City, TX
    Posts
    2,900
    Points
    59,397
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cloverfield

    Quote Originally Posted by JDB41 View Post
    I just seen that I guess what you would call a movie and it was HORRIBLE!
    I could say this about nearly everything that's come out in the past five years or so. I've nearly stopped going to movie theaters. Just plain not worth it. By the time you pay admission (one or two) and popcorn, you might as well have bought the DVD. Plus, in your home you don't have to deal with other people on their cell phones. (YOU'RE IN A MOVIE. TURN IT OFF)

    I think I've averaged about two movies a year:

    Last two movies I saw in theaters: Transformers (July 07), Spider-man III (May 07)
    Before that: Borat (December 06), Snakes on A Plane (August 06)

    I was distraught when I heard the writers were going on strike.

    WHO WILL WRITE OUR SEQUELS, CRAPPY REMAKES, AND FILM ADAPTATIONS OF BOOKS NOW??!?!?!?!?!?!?!



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 50,968, Level: 69
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,731
    Points
    50,968
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

    Re: Cloverfield

    I hope you go see Rambo this weekend and come back with a glowing review then, if you hated Cloverfield, then. :)

    You're entitled to your own opinion, but it still won't stop a majority disagreeing with you. I thought it was fresh, engrossing, and clearly did not settle with the happy ending. It ended about as abruptly as it began. Surely felt a lot more real than any of the other movies I've ever seen in the theaters.


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  5. #5
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    JDB41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    122
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cloverfield

    I don't know maybe I'm different but I usually like to know more about the movie after I watch it. I felt like I was watching a bootlegged movie taped by a drunk guy. Also with that movie unless you did your research how could you really understand it? But your right everyone is entitled to their own opinion.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 10,946, Level: 31
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Robins, IA
    Posts
    647
    Points
    10,946
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

    Re: Cloverfield

    I thought it was a great movie, sure the camera shake gave me a headach, but there was no other way the film could have been done. Call me crazy but I think they showed the moster way too soon. I would have been fine if the ending was the only time you saw the face.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

    Re: Cloverfield

    I thought it was great. Camera shake made me crazy at times, but I thought the movie was spectacular and absolutely loved the guy behind the camera. He cracks me up on Carpoolers as well.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 161,020, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,700
    Points
    161,020
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 256

    Re: Cloverfield

    It sounds like this is either a love or hate movie. All of my students that have seen Cloverfield has split the class in half. Half of them defending it, the other half making fun of it.



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 7,638, Level: 26
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    840
    Points
    7,638
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cloverfield

    I thought it was alright, but not something I would see again. To me the problem with the handheld-camcorder format is not the shakiness, but it's limitation for character development. A single storyline thread from a single camera point of view, really limits how you can get to know the various characters of the story. And it makes it hard to maintain attention. I actually thought the filmmakers made a decent effort to compensate for this by keeping the movie short and using the "taped over" scenes for glimpses into their past, but in the end it wasn't enough for me. I really didn't care if any of these people got eaten by Godzilla or not; and about an hour into the move I was hoping they would just die already and get it over with.

    Now for a great recent monster movie, I would recommend The Host.



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

    Re: Cloverfield

    Quote Originally Posted by iceclone View Post
    I thought it was alright, but not something I would see again. To me the problem with the handheld-camcorder format is not the shakiness, but it's limitation for character development. A single storyline thread from a single camera point of view, really limits how you can get to know the various characters of the story. And it makes it hard to maintain attention. I actually thought the filmmakers made a decent effort to compensate for this by keeping the movie short and using the "taped over" scenes for glimpses into their past, but in the end it wasn't enough for me. I really didn't care if any of these people got eaten by Godzilla or not; and about an hour into the move I was hoping they would just die already and get it over with.

    Now for a great recent monster movie, I would recommend The Host.

    See I thought it worked. I didnt need to know about the characters personality or lives to feel what they were going through. When you watch footage on the news of some horrible disaster, do you know anything about the folks involved, or do you see the disaster for what it is and try to relate in your own way.

    I saw the host as well and thought it was way out there. It had its pluses though.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,340, Level: 60
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    3,780
    Points
    38,340
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Cloverfield

    From how my cousin described it was any teenager could have written it. Which disappoints me because I like JJ Abrahams.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

    Re: Cloverfield

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    From how my cousin described it was any teenager could have written it. Which disappoints me because I like JJ Abrahams.

    I would definitely not agree with that.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 50,968, Level: 69
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,731
    Points
    50,968
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

    Re: Cloverfield

    Quote Originally Posted by iceclone View Post
    I thought it was alright, but not something I would see again. To me the problem with the handheld-camcorder format is not the shakiness, but it's limitation for character development. A single storyline thread from a single camera point of view, really limits how you can get to know the various characters of the story. And it makes it hard to maintain attention. I actually thought the filmmakers made a decent effort to compensate for this by keeping the movie short and using the "taped over" scenes for glimpses into their past, but in the end it wasn't enough for me. I really didn't care if any of these people got eaten by Godzilla or not; and about an hour into the move I was hoping they would just die already and get it over with.

    Now for a great recent monster movie, I would recommend The Host.
    The Host is a fantastic movie! If you didn't like Cloverfield and yearn for a good, modern monster movie, try this one out. Just a note, be sure to watch it with the original Korean dub and English subtitles. The voices they used for the English dub are just plain scary.


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 386,972, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,797
    Points
    386,972
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 391

    Re: Cloverfield

    Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    The Host is a fantastic movie! If you didn't like Cloverfield and yearn for a good, modern monster movie, try this one out. Just a note, be sure to watch it with the original Korean dub and English subtitles. The voices they used for the English dub are just plain scary.
    Saw it both ways. You are right, the english was god-awful.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 213,086, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,642
    Points
    213,086
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 581
    Given: 316

    Re: Cloverfield

    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I could say this about nearly everything that's come out in the past five years or so. I've nearly stopped going to movie theaters. Just plain not worth it. By the time you pay admission (one or two) and popcorn, you might as well have bought the DVD. Plus, in your home you don't have to deal with other people on their cell phones. (YOU'RE IN A MOVIE. TURN IT OFF)

    I think I've averaged about two movies a year:

    Last two movies I saw in theaters: Transformers (July 07), Spider-man III (May 07)
    Before that: Borat (December 06), Snakes on A Plane (August 06)

    I was distraught when I heard the writers were going on strike.

    WHO WILL WRITE OUR SEQUELS, CRAPPY REMAKES, AND FILM ADAPTATIONS OF BOOKS NOW??!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    I have to laugh at somebody complaining about the quality of movies and in the same post talking about how they go to the theatre for Michael Bay movies!

    Try No Country For Old Men, if you want a good movie.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM