Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 9

ISU v. UNI Spin...

Here is a little spin to think about: 4 plays in the ISU v. UNI game could account for at least a 20 point swing.

Pick Six 1st qrtr: +7 for UNI;
    Turnover on downs inside 10 in 2nd qrtr: -3 (or -7) for ISU;
    fumble by Flynn in to Endzone: -7 for ISU;
    Punt Muff by Baum: +3 for UNI

Adjusted score: ISU: 38 UNI: 17 -Thats probably a little closer to most predictions.

With that said there is still no excuse for what happened saturday, but I'll take the W and hope for improvement this week.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 400
    Given: 253

Re: ISU v. UNI Spin...

Yup...good points.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 641
    Given: 1,294

Great post... that is why I don't put a lot of the blame on the coaches for this game. Lots of personel didn't do their jobs correctly. And those guys are the foundation of our team (Flynn and Baum, with TB not running back to the ball on the pick six).

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

With that said there is still no excuse for what happened saturday, but I'll take the W and hope for improvement this week.
    It seems like I've said this after the previous 2 home games, as well.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 299

Quote Originally Posted by jtdoyle1 View Post
    It seems like I've said this after the previous 2 home games, as well.
    Well this Saturday will be the true measurement of this team. IMO it's our season.

I wish someone who wants Mac gone right now would answer the question that I've asked many times (no one has yet): What happens if we win Saturday, keep it rolling, and win the North? Then what? You still want Mac gone?

Addict
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Well this Saturday will be the true measurement of this team. IMO it's our season.

I wish someone who wants Mac gone right now would answer the question that I've asked many times (no one has yet): What happens if we win Saturday, keep it rolling, and win the North? Then what? You still want Mac gone?
    Nope, that means Mac stays, as he is proving something to all of us. Look people, it's not like most people are saying Mac goes no matter what right now, but many are questioning him after such poor early season performances when the expectations have been high. If Mac wins out, everyone will be satisfied and say "well Mac sure showed us that he is our man" instead of "I knew it all along!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Thumbs down Re: ISU v. UNI Spin...

Nobody answers you because you keep framing the question in a preposterous manner. NOBODY wants Mac gone NOW; you don't fire a coach five games into a season!

What you have done is nicely frame exactly what Mac needs to do to keep his job next season. He must defeat Nebraska and Missouri at home and win the Big XII North title. Given the collapses which happened under his watch in regards to winning said North Title the last two campaigns, it's come down to now or never in my mind. I'll send him a "welcome back" gift if he delivers a North Title and a bowl game destination more desirable than Shreveport or Houston (any of the "San's" will do)!

Unfortunately, after watching FIVE GAMES this season, I seriously doubt he'll be able to deliver the goods. I've come to this conclusion after watching him coach the team to a 33-34 cumulative record in the FIVE + YEARS since his break-thru record of 9-3 in Y2K!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

UNI could play that game too.

Dokes doesn't get hurt, and the following play throw TD pass to Blythe over UNI RS Freshman. (-4 or -7 ISU)
    Dropped pass by Hannam on beginning of 4th quarter drive, thus leading to punt-->punt return (-7 ISU)
    Wingert makes his FG just like every other FG in the past 19 tries, multiple 50 yard+ (+3 UNI)

That would mean a 30-14 or 30-17 UNI win.

It's not like UNI played a perfect game. They didn't make any turnover mistakes, but they blew coverage on the punt return. They also had two key defensive starters get hurt on a ISU scoring drive. There are plenty of things that could be said, 'what ifs', but none of the plays were totally ISU faults. Flynn was hit by Parsons, thus creating the TO. Dokes broke to the ball in correct form to get the Pick 6. Turnover on downs in 2nd quarter had something to do with UNI stopping the run. I don't know, it just seems as though people are saying ISU did this and this wrong, but it's not like UNI didn't help create those turnovers/bad plays. They also didn't play perfect.

This is no smack talk intended. I was just pointing out that similar things could be said of UNI (or any team that squares up against another team). UNI put up lots of yards and 21 points on Iowa last year...this year, they put up 20 points on the ISU defense, to go along with about the same amount of yardage. Next year, UNI returns 4 out of 5 guys on the O-line, the QB, both RB's, and multiple WR's. On defense, the whole D-line returns (2 deeps included), 2/3 starting LB's, 3/4 starting D-backs. UNI will have to replace Wingert, but the kicker backing him up has already kicked a 50 yarder in Jack Trice (okay, it was in the Shrine Game! :) ) and has to replace Kos the punter. So, UNI returns 17 starters for next year's game in Ames. I look forward to a great game again.

Thanks to all the Clone fans that were classy, hospitable, and inviting. To those who 'booed' the band, that's not exactly cool, and when other bands have come to UNI, they have received 'clap treatment' and no boos (but oh well...the ISU band was very impressive once again). And to those who taunted the UNI fans in the SW corner after going up with one minute to go...no blame to them...they were probably provoked! :)

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 299

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    Nobody answers you because you keep framing the question in a preposterous manner. NOBODY wants Mac gone NOW; you don't fire a coach five games into a season!
    You haven't been reading these boards recently then...there are plenty of people who want Mac gone now.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 506
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

UNI could play that game too.
    So true. I think UNI played well enough to win the game and we should applaud UNI for that. I think making the big momentum changing plays is what seperates teams and makes college football so popular- you can always play the "what-if" game. I think you can look at most games and a handful of scoring or momentum changing turnovers can be key factors in winning or losing.

I was mainly bringing up those 4 key plays to illustrate that the outcome of this game was in large part due to the play and miscues of the players and not all the fault of the coaching staff as some would like to believe. I agree if we lose that game we would need some changes in leadership at the end of the year no matter who's fault it is, but let's not give up on this team yet. We still have a lot of football yet.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You haven't been reading these boards recently then...there are plenty of people who want Mac gone now.
    Some of us wanted Mac gone before the season started. However, now that we have been so impressive to watch, I can openly say that I have a mancrush on the guy we call Mac.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

Everyone wants to blame Mac for blowing the Big XII North Championship in 2004. Ok, the team blew it in the final game. But does anyone remember that ISU was picked to finish DEAD LAST in the Big XII CONFERENCE that year? 12th out of 12 teams. A winless season, if I remember correctly. Just the fact that we had a winning season that year AND A SHARE in the North title that year I'm willing to let Mac have a pass on 2004. He went WAY past expectations. Last year is a different story. If Mac takes risks last year and they go favorably, we possibly go 10-1 or 11-0 in the regular season.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Everyone wants to blame Mac for blowing the Big XII North Championship in 2004. Ok, the team blew it in the final game. But does anyone remember that ISU was picked to finish DEAD LAST in the Big XII CONFERENCE that year? 12th out of 12 teams. A winless season, if I remember correctly. Just the fact that we had a winning season that year AND A SHARE in the North title that year I'm willing to let Mac have a pass on 2004. He went WAY past expectations. Last year is a different story. If Mac takes risks last year and they go favorably, we possibly go 10-1 or 11-0 in the regular season.
    That is a very good point. While I don't give the staff or the team a complete pass for 2004, you are dead on about exceeding expectations that year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    That is a very good point. While I don't give the staff or the team a complete pass for 2004, you are dead on about exceeding expectations that year.
    The reason why I'm willing to let the pass go is because of the experience level. Meyer and Blythe were freshmen, Flynn was a recent convert to WR, and Hicks was virtually unheard of. The defense was a year shy of national recognition. Mac took a bunch of nobodys nobody heard about and won a bowl game with them. Yeah, the season could have been greater, but Culbertson hadn't kicked any big field goals in his career yet, either. And he was their best option (Yelk was sidelined with the injury, remember). While I wanted to pull my hair out, looking back I understood that lack of experience due to decimation due to graduation was the cause.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The reason why I'm willing to let the pass go is because of the experience level. Meyer and Blythe were freshmen, Flynn was a recent convert to WR, and Hicks was virtually unheard of. The defense was a year shy of national recognition. Mac took a bunch of nobodys nobody heard about and won a bowl game with them. Yeah, the season could have been greater, but Culbertson hadn't kicked any big field goals in his career yet, either. And he was their best option (Yelk was sidelined with the injury, remember). While I wanted to pull my hair out, looking back I understood that lack of experience due to decimation due to graduation was the cause.
    Actually, Flynn was converted in '05, not '04. But I get what you are saying.