Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

It's their loss

Quick background - Every Tuesday night I beat my newspaper deadline for my column with time to spare. That is until this Tuesday. I was reading some of the "gloom and doom" about our recruit woes - from lost recruits from not enough 3-4 stars. Other threads talked about our "lack of tradition." And that did it for me! My column was put aside and I wrote the article below. I post it today to relive some good times in our history and realize we've got a glorious tradition - one ready to take the next step. So today, why not share some stories of our tradition and let those fly by night recruits know what they will miss out on!

The tradition of every successful program is to keep alive the stories from its past. Sadly many believe tradition is about wins and losses but it's more than that. It's kind of like your family history. May be the stories and the legends of your ancestors mean nothing to your neighbor but they mean the world to you. And through every generation the story is past on with rightful pride.

I get upset when we, as Cyclone fans, say we don't have much tradition. That's BS! Yes, our traditions are based more on "what if's" but it is who we are. I've shared the story of seeing my first Clone game at Clyde Williams watching ISU against OU. The year 1970, a young coach (Majors) with a young team fought against a well known coach (Switzer) and a disciplined team. ISU lost in the last two minutes. The final score 29-28. They lost the game, but that day OU learned who Iowa State was. The Cyclones beat the Sooners in every phase of that game and most importantly they punished OU that day. That story should be told every time we play OU. Tradition says we can play with OU. Six years after that game Johnny Majors coach a NC championship team and a Heisman winner in Tony Dorsett, but in Majors’ own words who was the best college player he ever coached? ISUs own George Amundson.

Picked to finish last in 1971, the Clones went to their first bowl game. That year they lost 4 games. All to Top 10 teams and three of those to the Top 3 teams in the nation. The 1976 team was also picked last. That team, was probably the best team to ever play at ISU, finishing the year at 8-3 and yet they "weren't good enough" for a bowl game.

kNU... oh man the stories. Double overtime, a dropped interception by Leaders. That team would have been the first team to be kNU in Lincoln since Leaders' Dad's team did it. The 2007 team, with a new coach and a new system had the ball for 102 plays. Tradition says we can play with kNU.

Losing two consecutive B12 North Championships due to missed FGs. Tradition says we can play with anyone in the North.

Texas schools? Burying aTm in College Station - We'll always remember "The Run" - I'm not sure of the year (within the last decade) in Ames a "bad" ISU team should have beaten both Texas and OU. If I remember right, both games were decided late. Tradition says we can play with the South.

And of course, the history of owning Ferentz - the richest man in Iowa.

Again tradition is more than wins and losses. It's about the people who wore the Cyclone uniform and their stories. Jack Trice, Chris Love, Ennis Haywood - to name a few. Recruits need to hear these stories and know why the tradition of Cyclone football is a proud one! How many schools can boast of a 2,000 yard runner on a losing team?

Pro players? Look through the years, the Clones have a proud history in the NFL. Most notably would be Matt Blair. But what about the 100s of many other stories involving our former players? If New England wins the Super Bowl - ISU can lay claim to having players on both unbeaten teams - Ellis Hobbs and Otto Stowe.

By telling these "what if" stories our tradition can change to one of conquest. We shouldn't say "we don't have much tradition." We're loaded in tradition. With our tradition we should have a chip on our shoulder. A tradition we can change by not letting these stories stay hidden in the background.

In 2007 the Cyclones turned the page on another part of their tradition - a new coach. Gene Chizik went on a TV commercial and proclaimed WE ARE IOWA STATE.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 117

Re: It's their loss

I had forgotten that Chris Love had Passed. Good article.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 771
    Given: 1,169

I hate to be debbie downer but the things you mentioned are not tradition. Traditions are usually carried on over periods of time, the things you mentioned are flashes of greatness.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

Many great moments and players throughout the years. But I wouldn't want to sell an 18 year old on a tradition of what ifs. It is hard to tell a kid we almost won the north, then they talk to K-State and they have a Big 12 championship trophy to show them.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,601
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 122

Many other teams in college football can hang their hat on an upset. We can't tell people we've "almost had upsets." We've never beaten Texas. It's been ages since we've beaten Oklahoma (what is their record against us anyway, like 77-10?). We are still largely without that marquee win over a big name program. Beating #8 Iowa in 2005 does not count, because they are overrated and are our rival. Beating #21 Nebraska in 2002 does not count, because that was the worst Nebraska team in almost 30 years. You have to go all the way back to 1993 against No. 9 (or 7?) Kansas State. We've never beaten a team in the Top 5.

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    Many other teams in college football can hang their hat on an upset. We can't tell people we've "almost had upsets." We've never beaten Texas. It's been ages since we've beaten Oklahoma (what is their record against us anyway, like 77-10?). We are still largely without that marquee win over a big name program. Beating #8 Iowa in 2005 does not count, because they are overrated and are our rival. Beating #21 Nebraska in 2002 does not count, because that was the worst Nebraska team in almost 30 years. You have to go all the way back to 1993 against No. 9 (or 7?) Kansas State. We've never beaten a team in the Top 5.
    Agreed...but when we beat the ranked teams like stated, we need to roll with those and build out progam and get better players because of those wins but we didn't. A lot of teams in the nation didn't know that was the worst Nebraska team in 30 years or Iowa is as big of a rival team as the state of Iowa makes it. Our time will come...

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 89

Clap.... Clap... Clap.. Clap. Clap!

Very nice article. I love this team, regardless of other peoples interpretation of tradition. That is our tradition, and it's still being shaped.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

As Cyclone Fans, I think we need to stop eating our own.

To the author of the article, thanks for taking time to write the article. Nice read and I learned a few things about our history here at ISU!

Thanks
    Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Every school has a tradition. Whether that tradition is winning conference titles, national championships, consistently ending at the top of the conference, mediocre, or an ESPN Bottom 10 team.

Unfortunately, our great alma mater is somewhere in the mediocre stage, when you look as a whole of the program. I love Iowa State, but I'm also realistic and I know we have a long way to go before we have a really GREAT tradition.

I sure hope that we hired the right guy in Chizik. His demeanor, character, and coaching ability lend some great anticipation to what is to come. I hope the athletic department and fans give him a chance to have success. He may or may not get us to the so-called "promised land" of conference titles and BCS games, but I for one am willing to give him a shot.

I've only heard good things about Chizik on and off the field, so while I'm not happy with our record last year, and I am excited about the future.

Just be glad you don't have Tim Brewster as your head coach. (I live in Gopherland) He's a clown! GO STATE!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Also, I knew Cris Love personally, and he was a really great guy. He was never the great talent as his competitor for the #1 spot (Seneca), but you couldn't meet a better guy.

Miss ya Cris!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35

Great article. We have tremendous tradition at Iowa State and we are building on it.