Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Post No. 2 Kansas awaits with mystique on its side

ISU basketball: No. 2 Kansas awaits with mystique on its side | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Lawrence, Kan. - Hundreds of Big 12 Conference basketball players have never left Allen Fieldhouse on the winning end of a final score.

Since the conference was formed in 1996-97, Kansas has an 82-7 record at home.

Iowa State's Rahshon Clark is in the minority. He was a freshman in 2004-05 when the Cyclones knocked off the No. 2 Jayhawks in overtime, 63-61, on Curtis Stinson's buzzer-beater.

"That was a great feeling,'' said Clark, who scored eight points and grabbed 10 rebounds in that game. "One of the best feelings I've ever had.''

That 2005 victory is the last time Iowa State has defeated a ranked opponent on the road. The Cyclones have another chance today when they play No. 2 Kansas.

Clark, now a senior, could get a bookend memory in a nationally televised game.

'"That would be great,'' he said.

Iowa State owns three of those seven Big 12 victories in Allen Fieldhouse, also winning in 2000 and 2001. Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Kansas State have won there once since the league merged members of the Big 12 and Southwestern conferences.

Kansas has had many good teams during that time. And some great ones. This year's edition (18-0) looks to be one of the latter.

"They're as good as any team in the country,'' Iowa State coach Greg McDermott said. "The more you watch them, the more you appreciate how good they are, how complete they are and how balanced they are.''

Kansas coach Bill Self lost just one player, Julian Wright, off a team that finished 33-5, won the Big 12 regular-season and tournament titles and got within a game of the 2007 Final Four.

"We have really good chemistry now because we're playing seven guys,'' Self said. "Our sixth and seventh (players) are really good.''

Four of five starters - forwards Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson and guards Brandon Rush and Mario Chalmers - are averaging between 11.8 and 13.2 points a game.

Russell Robinson is the other starter in the three-guard offense, with center Sasha Kaun and guard Sherron Collins first off the bench.

"There's six or seven guys on their team that can get 20 points on any given night,'' McDermott said.

Kansas ranks second nationally in field-goal percentage (.516), third in assists and third in steals. The Jayhawks' average scoring margin of 24.3 points leads the nation.

"A lot of people talk about their offense, but their defense is special as well,'' McDermott said.

Iowa State freshman Craig Brackins will find that out.

"I watched them on TV, and their ball pressure is crazy,'' Brackins said. "They're probably going to be the most physical, in-your-face team we've played all year.''

The Cyclones' Wesley Johnson calls the Kansas defense a half-court version of Missouri's full-court pressure that Iowa State handled well a week ago.

"You have to be ready to catch and pass, and be strong with the ball,'' Johnson said. "If not, they'll take it away from us.''

Add to that the tremendous home-court advantage the Jayhawks have, and Iowa State faces a tall order.

"We have no chance to beat them 90-88,'' McDermott said. "Could we beat them 70-68? Possibly. If it turns into a track meet, with the advantage they have on their home floor and the energy they get from that building, then we're asking for trouble.''

Last edited by ISUFan22; 01-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Re: No. 2 Kansas awaits with mystique on its side

I found this most interesting...

Since the conference was formed in 1996-97, Kansas has an 82-7 record at home.
    Iowa State owns three of those seven Big 12 victories in Allen Fieldhouse, also winning in 2000 and 2001. Missouri, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Kansas State have won there once since the league merged members of the Big 12 and Southwestern conferences.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU: 3-8
    Rest of the league: 4-74

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    ISU basketball: No. 2 Kansas awaits with mystique on its side | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Kansas ranks second nationally in field-goal percentage (.516), third in assists and third in steals. The Jayhawks' average scoring margin of 24.3 points leads the nation.
    ''
    The spread is 24.5 so, on average, they won't cover. Bet the farm.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I can't believe they lost to Nebraska at home.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    "There's six or seven guys on their team that can get 20 points on any given night,'' McDermott said.
    This is the marking of a great team and why they are so tough.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 177

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    ISU: 3-8
    Rest of the league: 4-74
    Don't you just love being the thorn in the side of the conference's national superpower?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

On the KU scout board they are reliving lots of the troubles that we have brought them over the last decade. Mostly the games when we won 5 in a row.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.