Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 52

Clones on a Roll Heading into the Phog

My latest blog post reflects on our win at OSU and our upcoming date with the Jayhawks tomorrow night in Lawrence.

Clones On a Roll Heading Into the Phog
    :: January 22nd, 2008 :: 11:30 am

If you missed Saturday’s showdown with Oklahoma State at Hilton, you missed out on a great battle between 2 teams fighting for Big 12 respectability. After getting out to a good start, Rahshon Clark and an OSU player continued pushing after the play was over. Clark was issued a technical while the OSU player just got a personal foul. The next time down the court, Okie St. pressured and slapped our guards around before knocking the ball loose and getting a fast break layup. Coach Greg McDermott told official Tom O’Neil that it was one of the worst calls he’d ever made and was whistled for a weak technical.

O’Neil is one of the worst, most egotistical officials in the county. You may remember him as the official at Kansas that let the bogus 3 pointer stand a few years ago, and he’s always had some kind of chip on his shoulder with ISU. One year that we lost down in Lawrence, he ripped us off all game long (although it didn’t ultimately cost us the game). Afterwards, I went down to the tunnel to wait for him coming through. As he ran through, I yelled “Hey O’Neil, you suck!!!”. He turned and looked amazed that anybody would think that, and finally sputtered out, “You know what? You suck!”. I’ve never been so burned in my life. At any rate, his ridiculous technical on McDermott got the crowd fired up, and for the rest of the game they picked the team up when they needed a lift. In the end the Cyclones prevailed 73-66.

The next game will probably be the most difficult game for ISU all year. We will be heading to Lawrence to play one of the nations only two remaining undefeated teams in #2 Kansas. Despite KU’s roster of future NBA players and storied tradition at Phog Allen Fieldhouse, there are a few things playing into ISU’s favor on Wednesday. First, we are starting to hit our stride at the right time. The last several games have seen great improvement from the beginning of the year when players were injured and out.

Second, Kansas will come into the game overconfident. Although their talent might be good enough to wipe the court with us on an off night, they know it and they’ll tell you about it. The better team doesn’t always come out on top or we wouldn’t even play the games.

Finally, ISU has won at the Phog more often than the rest of the Big 12 combined since the league was formed. Granted only one of these players (Clark) have pulled out a win there, but most years (other than last year) we have played very well in Lawrence. I personally have been there 3 times and left twice with a winning taste in my mouth. My favorite trip was Tinsley’s senior year when we pulled it out late after Luke Axtell’s three missed. Some friends and I tore around Lawrence with the windows down in our rental car screaming the ISU fight song til we went hoarse.

To conclude, even though I’m as big an optimist as you’ll ever see, I know our chances are slim to win at KU. They are a great team with a tough tradition in their building. Even when I picked ISU to go 12-4 in the conference this was one I had down as a loss. The important thing to me is that we make it a close game and have a chance going into the last 8 minutes. If we can do that, I’ll be happy win or lose. Ok that’s a barefaced lie…if we’re close late and lose I’m going to be torked off, but it would be a good statement heading into the rest of the schedule cause they’re all downhill after this one.

ISU 63 KU 59

Last edited by tigershoops31; 01-22-2008 at 01:22 PM.

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Clones on a Roll Heading into the Phog

I want 10 of what your having!!

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 655

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    Some friends and I tore around Lawrence with the windows down in our rental car screaming the ISU fight song til we went hoarse.

ahhhhh.... winning graciously.....

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

By the way Rahshon Clark won @ KU didnt he?

Also where do you see us going 12-4? I would be tickled pink but I just don't see it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Why does this remind me of a certain publication that was touting we'd win the Big 12 in football this past fall?

Love the optimism...it's just far from realistic.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

12-4 in conference. I'll eat crow if that happens. No, really. I'll eat a real, dead crow.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Guys, its a blog, not a news source. Don't take everything at face value.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonez View Post
    Who here took it at face value?!?! I am just asking the guy where he gets 12 wins. I think it's impossible but wouldn't mind hearing where the wins come from by tiger

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    ... Coach Greg McDermott told official Tom O’Neil that it was one of the worst calls he’d ever made and was whistled for a weak technical.

O’Neil is one of the worst, most egotistical officials in the county. You may remember him as the official at Kansas that let the bogus 3 pointer stand a few years ago, and he’s always had some kind of chip on his shoulder with ISU. One year that we lost down in Lawrence, he ripped us off all game long (although it didn’t ultimately cost us the game). Afterwards, I went down to the tunnel to wait for him coming through. As he ran through, I yelled “Hey O’Neil, you suck!!!”. He turned and looked amazed that anybody would think that, and finally sputtered out, “You know what? You suck!”. I’ve never been so burned in my life. At any rate, his ridiculous technical on McDermott got the crowd fired up, and for the rest of the game they picked the team up when they needed a lift. In the end the Cyclones prevailed 73-66.

How mature of you, no chips on your shoulders are there?

I wonder if the thought through his head was more along the lines of "oh crap, a psycotic fan who can't let go"

Why does Mac get a free pass for his comment, regardless of if he swore or not? That is not a specific requirement for a technical. Mac could have chose his words better and easily avoided it, he's been coaching too long not to know where the line is.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93

I think ******** has a new hobby.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

If we are good enough to win at KU we probably will go 12-4 in the conference...Chances of winning? 1% possibly 2% at most

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonez View Post
    I'm not valuing the face, just commenting on a blog (which is legal in all 50 states) and waving my hand in the face of it.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,103
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by iowastate41089 View Post
    Who here took it at face value?!?! I am just asking the guy where he gets 12 wins. I think it's impossible but wouldn't mind hearing where the wins come from by tiger
    He purposefully inflated that to make him sound crazy. Or if we actually do win 12 games he will be a genius. He is writing this blog to attract viewers, not as an official prediction source.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    How mature of you, no chips on your shoulders are there?

I wonder if the thought through his head was more along the lines of "oh crap, a psycotic fan who can't let go"

Why does Mac get a free pass for his comment, regardless of if he swore or not? That is not a specific requirement for a technical. Mac could have chose his words better and easily avoided it, he's been coaching too long not to know where the line is.
    So you are condemning coach for getting a T?! Please tell me I misunderstood your post.

What is it his first or second T as a Cyclone? Orr, Floyd, and LE would have had 5 more than that by now. All for crossing the line. They know where the line is, but chose to go past it to make a point, fire up the crowd, team, etc.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It was G-Mac's first technical since being a Cyclone. I can't blame the guy for being upset, but those back-to-back technical fouls nearly put us out of that game.