Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This QB Battle is Going to be Crazy...

I mean, surely Arnaud will be the guy, but you never know. And why did Chizik go out and recruit Tiller then? He has some good potential as well. And what about Bates still playing Q? I like him there better than wideout from what I saw of him in HS. He'll open up a lot more options with his dual-threat ability than Arnaud, in my opinion.

It's an interesting situation and will be fun to watch play out. What do you make of it?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Re: This QB Battle is Going to be Crazy...

Hey nebrclone, did you see Bates play in High school at qb? 33, do you have any updates who will likely be the starter?

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'm gonna say you've gotta think it's going to be Arnaud he's been waiting for a while and he's been picking up some things, he's got the most experience, and that might be what is needed.

But Bates opens up so much more downfield with his playmaking ability. That's all I've really got. I don't know much about Tiller, but I'm imagining him taking a RS, I don't really know.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bates move to WR, seems far to athletic to stay on the sidelines. Maybe Tiller could red shirt his first year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132

Yeah if Tiller redshirts, he'd be a RS freshman when Arnaud is a Junior. That leaves him plenty of time to get on the field.

From what I've seen Arnaud's arm opens up stuff downfield a lot more than Bates' running ability, simply because we haven't even seen Bates attempt a throw in a game yet. I like Arnaud's running ability though. He's not going to be a Seneca guy, but he can get some tough yards. He did that last year and I was impressed with him in that regard.

I'm a big Arnaud guy though and I have very high expectations for him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Arnaud is so fundementally sound, he's going to be tough to beat. It's going to be a great competition and that will certainly make each guy better. I just think with Arnaud's fundemantals, his experience over the others - he'll be a very tough guy to keep out of the starting spot.

And keep in mind, not only did Arnaud get some playing time last season - he got it at some key times during the game...and played well. That's huge for his confidence - a great move by Chizik and Co. to get him in there when the game was on the line...putting him in position to succeed.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Arnaud is so fundementally sound, he's going to be tough to beat. It's going to be a great competition and that will certainly make each guy better. I just think with Arnaud's fundemantals, his experience over the others - he'll be a very tough guy to keep out of the starting spot.

And keep in mind, not only did Arnaud get some playing time last season - he got it at some key times during the game...and played well. That's huge for his confidence - a great move by Chizik and Co. to get him in there when the game was on the line...putting him in position to succeed.
    Yes, he did come up big. I agree. I wanna see what Bates can do when given a chance though, I hope they don't just throw him out there at a wideout spot and forget about his ability to play behind the center.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Howie3310 View Post
    Yes, he did come up big. I agree. I wanna see what Bates can do when given a chance though, I hope they don't just throw him out there at a wideout spot and forget about his ability to play behind the center.
    Seeing how Bates has made it clear more than once that he came here to play QB, I highly doubt that happens. Also, not that it means a ton, but Bates is still listed as a QB (and has been updated to sophomore) on cylcones.com.

I fully expect to see Bates play QB in the spring game. After that, Chizik and Co. should have a pretty good indication as to who the starter is going to be.

My hope is, should it be Arnaud, that Bates is the #2 guy and continues to push Arnaud, yet plays WR and flourishes in that position.

IMO, we need to have both of these guys on the field. There is absolutely no reason not to have 2 of our best athletes contributing. I'll just take a stab at saying the staff is fully aware of that and so are Arnaud and Bates.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

33 told me that Bates has a "cannon" for an arm. I know Arnaud does. This will be fun. Hard to get depressed at having some competition at QB. Some coaches seem to annoint a starter. Not this coach.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 22

As long as the QB competition ends with better results then in '03 I will be happy.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,310
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

I really hope they both see the field next year.

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    I really hope they both see the field next year.
    Only if one is playing another position other than QB. I don't want to do the "QB committe thing", and if they both see the field without that going on, that means one was injured.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ah, the quarterbacking of 2003, "slightly" hampered by a poor offensive line and zero rushing attack.

Good times.

I believe Flynn was our 3rd leading rusher that season. "Flynn on da keeper" was said quite often, but everyone knew it was really "Flynn running for his life".

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I just want a QB that can break a shoe string tackle and not get run down by 300# D Linemen. Oh, someone that doesn't lock on to the first receiver would be nice. Oh, someone that can know when to throw the ball away would be icing on the proverbial cake.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

Im really surprised that you dont see this more often. I know I saw USC do it in the Bowl game, but it just seems that you don't see the 2nd string in more, especialy at QB. I really hope that Chizik and Co keep it up through their whole coaching stay.

And you made a good point, the time Arnaud went in were key times, not just 2:00 left in the game or something. It sends a message that you don't get a freebee and just hand the ball off and run out the clock. It's risky, but isn't everything.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks