Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

Did we have too high of expectations for this team?

I really think after this game we need to refigure our expectations for this team. I hate to sound like a jerk here, but we clearly just are not that good. I don't know who to blame that on, but let's face it neither the coaches nor the players are really filling me with confidence here.

I am also wondering if they are feeling the pressure a little bit as well. Drew Tate admitted last year that the expectations got to them a little bit and they didn't perform, as they wanted throughout the year. I mean we came into this season expecting another shot at a North title, and it certainly seems like that isn't going to happen.

I hate to say this, but next week looks like a must win game at this point. I hardly ever label games "must-win" but this season needs to get back on track. Yes, I know we've won the games and lost the games a lot of us expected to, but let's face it. This team has been ugly this year, and there is too much talent to expect them to play like this. Let's face it, coaching hasn't been great, but there have been numerous mistakes by the players that are uncharacteristic of Mac teams. Penalties and turnovers are just killing us.

No more excuses for these guys at this point. They have too much talent to be playing like this, they need to clean up the mistakes and they know it. I don't want to hear about money right now or anything else that is hamstringing the program. I know that it is important to have a higher budget to remain competitive. But this season is happening NOW, these players are performing NOW. No amount of donation is going to effect what happens on the field next week. Let's make this happen Clones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Did we have too high of expectations for this team?

My expectations keep dropping . . . I started at 7 or 8 wins. Then 6 or 7 wins. Now I think 5 or 6. No bowl game. Hope I'm wrong, obviously.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

5-7 was my original prediction before the year started and I got ripped for it. I stand by it. Our defense is just not ready for this.

Its a shame that we can't get a solid defense AND offense together in the same season. Seems like its usually one or the other.

Rookie
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Our D-Line gets absolutely no pressure on the other team and then are guys cant tackle out there. The turnovers just fuel the fire. Our coaches need to step up and earn their paychecks.

Cyclone State Now & Forever

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    5-7 was my original prediction before the year started and I got ripped for it. I stand by it. Our defense is just not ready for this.

Its a shame that we can't get a solid defense AND offense together in the same season. Seems like its usually one or the other.
    Couldn't agree more. If you're not over optimistic before the season starts you hear things like "How could you be a fan when you say we're going 7-5 this year?" Or "You picked us to lose to Iowa AND Nebraska?. How could you?" I don't understand why the 8 months of offseason inflates the image of our team when the team itself hasn't changed a bit. I said that Berryman would cost us over/under 1 win this season and people thought I was crazy. Most fans expected 8-10 wins this year which I never understood either. My cardinal rule, especially being an experienced Cyclone fan, is don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

When you have an experienced offense returning with the number of playmakers we have..expectations should be high, even if its a "out score the other team" result each game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 161

I'm not changing my expectations. We should still go 7-5 on the year at worst...with a chance of better.

Sure, the team has not been impressive so far...however, they've shown flashes of greatness. The first quarter and a half vs. Iowa and the pair of drives vs. Texas. Plus, gutting it out in those ugly, close wins.

No matter what anyone says, winning those close games does give this team character and confidence. No longer do I think ISU will enter an OT game or last minute game and go on their heels like last year. That's big because apparently, we better get used to some tight games this fall.

I am disappointed in the overall play so far. Going down the wire vs. the likes of Toledo, UNLV and UNI is not something we should be proud of or ok with. But, it is what it is.

I think at this point no one knows what to expect from this team. And like what Luke and Brent said last night, that's what will make them fun to watch. Just have the Tums on hand...

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 586
    Given: 147

I know it was a 1AA team, but the way we played in the 2nd half really impressed me, especially with our backs to the wall. That last drive that Meyer had to take the lead was one of the most impressive things I have seen all year, and it goes to show just what our offense can do.

After tonight, I might drop my prediction, but I wont. I know what this team is capable of doing, and I am just waiting for a big game out of them here soon. They are really going to be tested in the next 3 weeks against teams that are in the top 25, and I juts hope they can get at least 2 of these games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I really think after this game we need to refigure our expectations for this team. I hate to sound like a jerk here, but we clearly just are not that good. I don't know who to blame that on, but let's face it neither the coaches nor the players are really filling me with confidence here.

I am also wondering if they are feeling the pressure a little bit as well. Drew Tate admitted last year that the expectations got to them a little bit and they didn't perform, as they wanted throughout the year. I mean we came into this season expecting another shot at a North title, and it certainly seems like that isn't going to happen.

I hate to say this, but next week looks like a must win game at this point. I hardly ever label games "must-win" but this season needs to get back on track. Yes, I know we've won the games and lost the games a lot of us expected to, but let's face it. This team has been ugly this year, and there is too much talent to expect them to play like this. Let's face it, coaching hasn't been great, but there have been numerous mistakes by the players that are uncharacteristic of Mac teams. Penalties and turnovers are just killing us.

No more excuses for these guys at this point. They have too much talent to be playing like this, they need to clean up the mistakes and they know it. I don't want to hear about money right now or anything else that is hamstringing the program. I know that it is important to have a higher budget to remain competitive. But this season is happening NOW, these players are performing NOW. No amount of donation is going to effect what happens on the field next week. Let's make this happen Clones!
    Great post BryceC. For my money, you are the best poster on this board (except for Jeremy). Thanks for telling it like it is.

URBCLONE

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post

My thoughts exactly. I went with 6-6 and I am sticking with it as well. Losses to NU, TT, OU, and one of Mizzou, KU, KSU, or CU.

URBCLONE