Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 114

Cyclone Alley vs. General Student seating

Ive noticed over the past few years that even though CA seems to have decent attendance, the general student seating is usually pretty empty. Yesterday all but a couple rows of CA was full, but only about 100 general studetns showed up for the balcony seats.

Has CA alienated away the general population of students who want to go to a game? I guess Im not seeing much of the benefit to having a specific group of fans if it is keeping the general student population away from games.

If you were a student and had a 'student ticket' for a game you walk to hilton and hope that you might get a lower level seat. If there werent any available you sit up top.

Now it seems kids wont go from the start if they know they are sitting up top.

I know its a pretty lame excuse to not go to a game, but I think thats part of what is happening.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 1

Re: Cyclone Alley vs. General Student seating

It's quite possible. The $30 it costs to join Cyclone Alley will drive people away. I don't know why, because you get so much cheap crap and the shirt it doesn't seem that bad, plus the $15 trip to Lincoln is a steal for the Nebraska game if you're part of Cyclone Alley.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 11

wtf, when I was in school we all went even if we were sitting the in top row of the balcony. There are empty seats in the student sections?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 114

There were 2-3 empty rows in the lower level CA yesterday, plus several hundred general student tickets up top.

Exactly. The ones who go are very loud. I just wish more would make it a priority to attend games.. Especially Big 12... Especially at 12:30 on Saturday.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I imagine some of the problem would be that students bought there tickets and do not feel they should have to pay more money to get to sit down below in the student section. That is why I am a fan of having one end CA and the other just students who didn't want to join.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Getting rid of Cyclone Alley would be great. And they should only sell student tickets in the lowers forget students tickets in the balcony or else sell extra seats because us students are not good at showing up.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

I know they decreased the size of the student section this season. I am one of those that sit up there. It is odd that there are so many empty seats and I'm not sure how to explain it. I enjoy sitting up there, however, as I find those around me are really knowledgeable fans.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It seems great but people throw away a lot of those props - some of them are cool (and it's cool to seem them all used, like the rally towels or foam sticks being waved) but they're a one game thing and then half of them get left there to be picked up by kids or the hilton staff when they do their sweep...

As for the shirt, you're required to wear it, which can be tediuos (and relatively expensive) to keep clean when you have 3-4 games (atleast) between laundry days. Not to mention if you want to bring a friend with you to the game that is not in the Alley, you have to borrow someone's shirt or sit out of the Alley

Cyclone Alley certainly has some benefits but not everyone wants to be in it - some people just don't want to pay $30, some people don't want want to wear the same shirt every game, and some people want more flexibility in sitting with their friends. I was happy when the student section was split half and half, though I'll admit it probally looks better with the both ends being the same (I still prefer the split version though...)

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    as I find those around me are really knowledgeable fans.
    I find this is true all over Hilton. I think we have some of the most knowledgeable basketball fans around.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    wtf, when I was in school we all went even if we were sitting the in top row of the balcony. There are empty seats in the student sections?
    Same here and that was just over 5 years ago! I don't know what it is. I knew back then a lot of people would kill to pay and extra $30 just to have lower level seats at every game. There was a time we'd only get I think it was just 4 home games in the lower level then you had to show up early just to get a decent balcony seat.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 10

I have had this same theory and I think I mentioned it in a previous season in one of these recurring CA threads.

I really do think that CA hurts student attendance overall. If you aren't a member you know for a fact that you aren't going to have a good seat so that will make you much less likely to attend. When all of the student seating was first come first serve there was always a chance you could get down low. If you showed up and couldn't get a good seat, you were already in the door so you probably just stay. With CA, you know before you step out the door.

I like the uniform appearance of the student section, and the props and everything else that they do, but creating two classes of students is also crippling the student section. I would like to see them tack $20 on to student tickets and just hand out the standard student section t-shirts to everyone who buys student tickets. They could still hand props out to the student section and take trips and do whatever else they want to do, and the students who aren't interested in those things just don't have to participate.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 28

To answer your question... Yes CA has alienated the "other" students. My last two years was the beginning of CA. I never joined, for the sole reason that I do not think I need to be told how to cheer. So when games came around, if I had anything else to do, I definetlely considered. I mean, its not like I could go early and get a good seat. I was immediately delegated to the upper deck. When I look at the student section now, maybe half are there for the game. The rest are there soley for the social aspect and to not be the odd man out with friends. Until all students who purchase bball tickets are included in CA, there will be a divide imo.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I really think more students would show up without Cyclone Alley, but if they keep it the way it is now they really need to start selling some cheap GA tickets for everyone to fill up the top and sometimes the bottom. Most people I know do not like CA because of many restrictions. First of all the shirt is to be worn all games. It is annoying to wear the same shirt to all games. We are also college students and like it has been said before we don't like to conform so the idea of all looking and acting alike is not ideal for many students. I also know several people that just can't afford tickets let alone CA and if they can't sit down low they are not going to go to the games. Im going to say it again but they should sell single game student tickets because I think that would help a lot with attendence with students and allow the general public to have access to more tickets also.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by oskyclone View Post
    I really think more students would show up without Cyclone Alley, but if they keep it the way it is now they really need to start selling some cheap GA tickets for everyone to fill up the top and sometimes the bottom. Most people I know do not like CA because of many restrictions. First of all the shirt is to be worn all games. It is annoying to wear the same shirt to all games. We are also college students and like it has been said before we don't like to conform so the idea of all looking and acting alike is not ideal for many students. I also know several people that just can't afford tickets let alone CA and if they can't sit down low they are not going to go to the games. Im going to say it again but they should sell single game student tickets because I think that would help a lot with attendence with students and allow the general public to have access to more tickets also.
    I would have done just about ANYTHING to have a Cyclone Alley when I was in school. You are worried about having to wear the SAME SHIRT??? Give me a break. We stood outside in sub zero weather just to get crappy tickets to the see the damn game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Maybe they should try the Cael Sanderson approach to selling tickets for the student section. Like he did in the Iowa duel for the whole crowd, instead cut down the student section for now just to the lower bowl on each end, which would probably not be a problem for this year to create a louder more dense student section. Hopefully the would create a demand for tickets hopefully higher than supply, and you would be able to sell cheap tickets for the upper bowl on the ends. I do not neccasarly beleive this would work or be the best thing to do but it did seem to create quite an atmosphere against Iowa in the duel. Granted I like sitting in the upper level of the student section, but just throwing it out there.