Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

ISU vs Oklahoma State: Coach for a Day notes

ChadM and I had the pleasure of taking part in the Coach for a Day for today’s game – thanks to ChadM for bidding/winning the item. A recap of today’s events…ChadM will surely add to it tomorrow – he’s gambling away some of his real money this evening...CF Credits were not accepted, reportedly. Anyways…on with the fun…

Our day started at 11am, met Ron Smith and Coach McDermott at the basketball offices and went down to the floor to watch ISU warm-up. Met Ryan with the Sports Information Department shortly after we hit the floor – he and his area actually coordinate the Coach for a Day program.

Talked with Ron and Ryan while we watched the guys shoot around from the ISU bench. Ron talked about a few of the things they planned to do that day. We also spoke about Lucca a bit. Ron noted they had their eye on Lucca when he was 14. The staff has a ton of respect for Lucca for sticking around. Another interesting note…while the players were shooting around on one end, Coach Rutter was on the other end working on a few items with Lucca one-on-one.

Oh, it was quite fun watching Lucca shoot. I caution people all the time with expectations on him for next season, because he will really be a freshman with sophomore listed next to his name – but this kid can not only shoot lights-out…but he’s got great size to go with it.

Around 40 minutes before game time, we followed the players back into the locker room and listened to G-Mac go over some final prep items as far as what sets OSU would run and how they would defend them. Some very interesting behind-the-scenes items that were neat to get a look at. Simply put, G-Mac and his staff leave no rock unturned in scouting their opponent.

We followed the players back out to the arena and waited in the tunnel as the players warmed up and we found a seat – fortunately Ryan scored us a pair of seats on the front row of Cyclone Alley by the ISU bench. Of note: both Harrison Barnes and Wes Eikmeier were in attendance today.

The game was magnificent, no need to go into that much. Only notes from the game were…

- After Rahshon hurt his ankle and came off, he immediately headed to the locker room and was telling his trainer “it just needs taped…it just needs taped”. I love his toughness.

- Craig looked really rough on the bench at one of those last breaks, getting some attention from the trainer. Seemed he banged his head and was feeling a bit dizzy. G-Mac noted in post-game it was simply that Craig had never worked so hard in a game before. Gotta appreciate that tough love, coach. :)

- Didn’t hear what G-Mac said to get that technical, but the ref sure looked upset.

- Man, Hilton was rockin’ today. Hilton Magic dead? That’s horsecrap! G-Mac emphatically complimented the fans in the locker room, in the presser and on the radio. He specifically said “I think those 2 technicals ****** the fans off enough that they were not going to let us lose”.

Immediately following the game, we trailed the players into the locker room for the celebration and post-game comments from G-Mac. The players were very excited and rightfully so. Craig was talking about that dunk he almost had went he leapt from what looked like half-court – admitting he jumped too soon (but was fortunate to get fouled). Petey was jumping around patting guys on the back. Wes was sitting there, exhausted, but smiling ear-to-ear. Pollard came in and said “Man, that was fun!” at least 3 or 4 times.

G-Mac started by noting they need to do a better job in the first half in regards to turnovers and coming off the screens. Said we should never give up 40 points in one half, especially at home. Apologized for him and Clark giving up 4 of those points (which Clark added “sorry guys”), but said even 36 is inexcusable. He talked about a couple specific plays in which the fell short – plays that should have been there. Noted it was the same defense they played against in the 2nd half that caused them just six turnovers compared to the 11 they had in the first half.

He then went on to compliment the team on how they closed the gap in the first half while Clark was getting his ankle treated. Specifically complimented Brackins for playing a tough game, AT for his awesome defense, Clark for his 1000th point, Wes for making baskets (to a bunch of laughter) and Garrett for growing up a lot today. A very fun, yet teaching locker room.

We then went to the press room for the post-game press conference. G-Mac, Rahshon and Alex showed up and the presser began. Standard question of controlling turnovers in the 2nd half, Clark’s injury, Wesley’s career high, etc. Most of the things noted in the presser G-Mac touched on in his interview with Walters on the radio.

Both Rahshon and G-Mac briefly touched on the technicals. When Clark was asked about his, he said “I’d rather not discuss it, I lost it for a bit out there and don’t want to do that again”. Greg noted it was his first since being a Cyclone.

All in all, a very fun day. We were treated with the best hospitality and got to see what goes on behind closed doors – a number of things I omitted out of respect to the team.

I would highly recommend at least taking a shot at bidding on the Coach for a Day. IMO, it was well worth it.

Oh…to boot, ChadM and I are 1-0…a full game ahead of Jeremy in the CF coaching standings. :)

Coach for a Day Photos link (81 total)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Re: ISU vs Oklahoma State: Coach for a Day notes

Very cool, I am very Jealous!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 53

Freaking sweet. I've always wondered what its like in the locker room after a great victory like today's.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Some personal opinion notes from today...

- Our team is really starting to gel. In practice the guys really pay attention. I didn't recall the coaches needing to repeat something. A couple times Greg got on a kid for making the same mistake as a previous practice - but no getting on guys for goofing off, etc.

- We're improving, obviously. By leaps and bounds just in the past couple weeks, IMO. Those early season lumps were good for us - great teaching tools. Plus, getting some of these other guys minutes during injuries is helping us now, IMO.

- Patience is a virtue. Remember when we wanted to pack it in with this group? Jiri was back in the dog house, AT needed to go back to Iowa, etc. Well - we're seeing what a healthy group that can actually practice together and more time in the system (both practice and game time) can do for these kids.

- More tough times are to come. We've got a rough set of games ahead of us right now - games we're clearly out-matched in. I think with this group, anything is possible - but we're bound to have a game or two on the sched. this year in which we look bad - IMO.

- I'd play for Greg, no question. I'd play any sport for him - even if it was curling. The man can coach, commands respect and loves his players. He allows his assistants to do their jobs and his players to play their game. We're seeing a little bit of an up-tempo from our group now because they've learned the basics of his system and are expanding into things that fit the personnel we have a bit better.

- What a diamond in the ruff we found in Wesley. I mean, wow. On the court, we all know what we have in him. In practice and warm-ups - he knows when to be a bit fun/goofy and when to put that game face on. Watching him on the bench, as the other starters got introduced - man - that's one helluva game face. I don't know if I can be any happier that we have Wes on our team and that he's almost back to 100%.

- A fantastic Cyclone experience, I can't say that enough. If it interest you at all and you can - bid on one of these events. They're well worth and and don't seem to be getting a ton of interest lately. I am very thankful to ISU for this opportunity.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 899
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Great stuff, 22!! I saw you on the very bottom corner of Cyclone Alley with a yellow CycloneFanatic shirt. It's nice to read all the positives and, from what you and Jeremy have written after the inside access of coach-for-a-day, it sure seems like we have the right man on the job.

NICE PHOTOS, TOO!!!

Iowa at Iowa State mens basketball 2013
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p376465524

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p696287303

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks Wes, I took some of your advice - or at least tried to. :)

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

Hey 22, who was the kid sitting next to Barnes and Lucca in CA, I thought it might be Eik since he seemed to look a bit like him...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yes, Eik was here today.

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 9

Terrific job. Thanks a lot for putting all of this together. I've always wanted to know how McDermott handles the locker room.

Also, thanks for the info on Lucca, he should really be a great addition next year. To add another testament to his shooting ability, I watched him shoot around at the rec a couple nights ago, he was on fire from beyond the arc. A buddy and I thought about challenging him to a 3 point shootout; we had a streak of 18 for 20 but we chickened out...

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Yes, Eik was here today.
    I thought that was him, wow, he is way skinnier then I thought...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cymonat View Post
    Terrific job. Thanks a lot for putting all of this together. I've always wanted to know how McDermott handles the locker room.

Also, thanks for the info on Lucca, he should really be a great addition next year. To add another testament to his shooting ability, I watched him shoot around at the rec a couple nights ago, he was on fire from beyond the arc. A buddy and I thought about challenging him to a 3 point shootout; we had a streak of 18 for 20 but we chickened out...
    ChadM was counting his shots during part of warm-ups. I think Lucca was somewhere around 10-15 in a row.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thanks for the recap. Good stuff!

Wesley Staten (2012 - verbal commit)