Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 0

Recruiting optimist or pessimist?

Personally I'm currently underwhelmed with our current class thus far although there are some REAL good looking kids involved. Honestly I have a little Leonard Johnson man-crush. With that being said, when the ink dries on this class and if we end up being 10th or worse in the B12, will we be happy since Chiz found the kids he wanted for his system and nobody else on America knew who these kids were, or will we be disappointed since we were all expecting an immediate boost in our access and ability to sign talent?

I'm middle of the road. I trust Chiz to find the right kids but to think this class is taking shape the way he wanted seems a little far-fetched. I've said it before - but the true success with these early classes will be how many of the kids stick with the program for their 4-5 years. Too many of Macs classes suffered huge attrition. I think with full classes of average talent and hopefully above average coaching, the foundation of the program will be much more sound provided these kids stick with us.

I love the recruiting season ALMOST as much as the regular season as the twists and turns happen daily.

Be seriously - Leonard Johnson.... MMMAAANNNNNN! Don't tell me wife since she thought those intense prayer sessions in Alabama "cured" me of these impure thoughts. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 296

Re: Recruiting optimist or pessimist?

Per the star system if you believe it, the rich get richer. Looks like Kansas and Missouri now live on the right side of the tracks also. Maybe the North will Roar in the future.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 39

While I lament the loss of Grant, King, Marshall and Graham, I am still mildly enthused. We have a very fast WR in Carlson who could return kicks and punts. We have some very athletic sleepers like Hammerschmidt (6'6" and a 4.65 40 yds.) and Bytkowski. Tiller looks good at QB so I don't really lament the loss of Jordan. We have a few good DL and OL but definitely need more but all in all I think this is as good or better than the classes that Mac was getting. Benton, Darks and Johnson all look very good. Schwartz is an intriguing prospect. Plus I think you would have to add Bo Williams to this group which gives us that stud RB that everyone wants. This class has some size plus they have speed. And that is one thing you can't teach is speed. Plus I like the idea that most of the recruits aren't 5'8" with modest speed. And it is intriguing that other schools actually want our commits rather than just letting us have them. We must be getting some pretty decent guys.

As I mentioned before, 18 guys at this juncture was about as good as Mac had. His usual flurry was in the last week or so before commitment. And then about a half dozen of the commits wouldn't even see campus because of grade issues anyway. I think with what we redshirted last year and what is coming in that we should improve. We were actually pretty young last year at the majority of positions.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I notch Chiz's lack of success up to his location -- Ames, IA. It's just tough to recruit to Ames. Without even dealing with the beautiful weather, Ames is a fairly small town without much to offer big-city recruits. I would put ISU up against any BCS school as one of the most difficult places to recruit football.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I've read where Ole Miss is making a run at Leonard Johnson. I know he's a "soft verbal" but who knows what'll happen.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

When it comes to Leonard Johnson, it's all about his girlfriend.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    Personally I'm currently underwhelmed with our current class thus far although there are some REAL good looking kids involved. Honestly I have a little Leonard Johnson man-crush. With that being said, when the ink dries on this class and if we end up being 10th or worse in the B12, will we be happy since Chiz found the kids he wanted for his system and nobody else on America knew who these kids were, or will we be disappointed since we were all expecting an immediate boost in our access and ability to sign talent?

I'm middle of the road. I trust Chiz to find the right kids but to think this class is taking shape the way he wanted seems a little far-fetched. I've said it before - but the true success with these early classes will be how many of the kids stick with the program for their 4-5 years. Too many of Macs classes suffered huge attrition. I think with full classes of average talent and hopefully above average coaching, the foundation of the program will be much more sound provided these kids stick with us.

I love the recruiting season ALMOST as much as the regular season as the twists and turns happen daily.

Be seriously - Leonard Johnson.... MMMAAANNNNNN! Don't tell me wife since she thought those intense prayer sessions in Alabama "cured" me of these impure thoughts. Not that theres anything wrong with that.
    The problem, in my never to be humbled opinion, is that there are too few Leonard Johnsons and Jerome Tillers and far too many John Richardsons, Bastian Schobers and Christopher Joneses, or at least guys of that type who were lightly recruited and never made a contribution to the team.

I'm not saying some of the guys in the new class are never going to make a contribution to the team, but they are reminiscent of some of the lightly recruited guys in past classes.

We brought in a new staff to upgrade everything, including recruits, but it sure seems like more of the same.

If Chizik stands in front of the podium on signing day and spews the Mac line "Some of these kids are not highly rated with the recruiting services, but we've evaluated these kids and they are the type of players we can build a program around and play winning, Cyclone football," or something similar, it will seem like we're right where we were with Mac, only we're coming off a 3-9 season.

They need to step it up. To paraphrase Chizik, I'm not coming down to their level, they're going to have to recruit up to mine.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    As I mentioned before, 18 guys at this juncture was about as good as Mac had. His usual flurry was in the last week or so before commitment. And then about a half dozen of the commits wouldn't even see campus because of grade issues anyway. I think with what we redshirted last year and what is coming in that we should improve. We were actually pretty young last year at the majority of positions.
    That's not what you said at all. You said Chizik is way ahead of where Mac was and that Mac got the bulk of his recruits in the last week. In fact, here's the exact quote: "However if you have followed his recruiting over the last several years you would know that Dan Mac would always get his commits at the very end of the recruiting period. At this time we would normally have around 10 to 12 commits."

As I said before, that's simply not true. We are about in the same place under Chizik we were under Mac. In fact, we may be a little behind with this class after all the decommits.

We NEVER had a flurry of commits at the very end of the recruiting period under Mac. We always knew pretty much everyone with the exception of maybe 5 or fewer guys about three weeks before signing day. I don't see how 5 guys equates to most of the class.

Mac RARELY had visitors over the last three weekends of the recruiting period, probably because of the cold. If he had visitors, it was usually only one or two a weekend, guys he was hoping to fill out the class with.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Put me under the pessimistic. Mac had problems with attrition etc. and it will be the same with Chiz...takin some chances on guys with questionable grades, etc. You can give the argument that the reason why kids are leaving is because they are so good and can go anywhere but in reality the guys that have decommitted are average in the scope of BCS football schools. We'll be in the 10-12 range, but ya gotta hope that some of these guys really develop.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We are at 2.22 stars in rivals.com and we should be about 2.50 stars average. That is the same for last few years. Bates was a 4 star that Dan recruited. Still looking for a 4 star to show that things have changed. Until we win a bowl game, we might expect mor of the same. Therefore we need to win 7 this year and win a minor bowl to improve recruiting and proabably future visions.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 372
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by AlanAldaClone View Post
    That's not what you said at all. You said Chizik is way ahead of where Mac was and that Mac got the bulk of his recruits in the last week. In fact, here's the exact quote: "However if you have followed his recruiting over the last several years you would know that Dan Mac would always get his commits at the very end of the recruiting period. At this time we would normally have around 10 to 12 commits."

As I said before, that's simply not true. We are about in the same place under Chizik we were under Mac. In fact, we may be a little behind with this class after all the decommits.

We NEVER had a flurry of commits at the very end of the recruiting period under Mac. We always knew pretty much everyone with the exception of maybe 5 or fewer guys about three weeks before signing day. I don't see how 5 guys equates to most of the class.

Mac RARELY had visitors over the last three weekends of the recruiting period, probably because of the cold. If he had visitors, it was usually only one or two a weekend, guys he was hoping to fill out the class with.
    Mac NEVER usualy had 18 commits at this juncture. And at the time I posted we had 21 commits before the recent decommits. Look back at where we were when Mac "resigned". We had about 3 or 4 commits and no one was even considering us.

And I remember Mac's last class. We DID have about 8 or 9 verbals from the last week of January until signing day. We would sign 30 guys and get 24 or so to campus. Our attrition rate was terrible. At least schools want our commits. Back then they didn't care about them.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    We are at 2.22 stars in rivals.com and we should be about 2.50 stars average. That is the same for last few years. Bates was a 4 star that Dan recruited. Still looking for a 4 star to show that things have changed. Until we win a bowl game, we might expect mor of the same. Therefore we need to win 7 this year and win a minor bowl to improve recruiting and proabably future visions.
    Bates was not a 4 star. 3 star per rivals and 2 according to Scout.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From rivals.com

DAN
    2002 - 6 four stars and 6 three stars
    2003 - 12 three stars
    2004 - 1 four star and 10 three stars
    2005 - 2 four stars and 9 three stars
    2006 - 15 three stars

GENE
    2007 - 1 four star and 9 three stars
    2008 - 6 three stars with 8 slots left to fill

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

I don't care if the class is no better than one Mac would bring in. I'll take the same level of talent and FAR superior coaching anyday.

Mac couldn't coach his way out of a shoebox on gameday IMO. We SHOULD have won about 12-15 more games over his tenure than we did.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

might as well throw Genes 2007 year out. That is not a fair evaluation on how someone can recruit. Would definitely love to see more stars but Mac's numbers don't tell the whole story. How many of those 3 and 4 star players ever saw the field or amounted to anything?