Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 23

Definition of Commitment

A pledge or promise; obligation

I understand that kids are going to change their minds but as someone who was brought up to always keep their word and act with integrity it kind of bothers me that kids these days would say they are committed to a school and then break their promise.

If they aren't sure then don't commit. Take all your visits...tell a school they are your favorite...but don't make a commitment until you're done with visits and you are sure where you want to go.

I feel if you "committed" then you gave your word or promised and you should honor that...

OK, I will now step off my soapbox and focus on things that are more important in life...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 753
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 222

Re: Definition of Commitment

I'm pretty sure these kids never say they are committed. It is just a term that the experts use. I am sure it is more along the lines of, "yeah, I really liked the school I see myself going there." Solid verbal. I could be wrong though.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

Too bad you aren't a highly recruited D1 football player. Let's face it, most of these athletes from the South are not wanting to move to Iowa to play big time D1 football. Geography really hurts us in recruiting.

Nothing is official until that signature is received. Get used to it...only going to get worse in the coming years IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

i agree, im getting really tired of all these kids committing and then decommitting. It seems to have happend to us (especually us) this year. All they need to do is take their time and announce it when they and their family are comfortable with the decision

Speechless
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 797

Once you realize that the verbal commit means absolutely nothing, you tend to look at recruiting news as "that's nice..." That's why I don't pay attention to recruiting and don't have subscriptions to Rivals or Scout, as IMO it's not worth getting excited about something that can change at the drop of a hat. And as we've learned over the last several years, signing on the dotted line doesn't mean much either - just because they signed with us doesn't mean they're going to show up. Face it - recruiting doesn't mean anything until they're on campus, in class, and in uniform.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 214

Honestly, this probably happened a lot in the past too. We just never heard about it because there wasn't the internet and all these recruiting service websites.

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

i am sure they do this to lock up a spot while they wait for something better. Completely un-ethical, but no way really to stop it. The dude that just decommitted isn't a major loss, but still.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,358
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    i agree, im getting really tired of all these kids committing and then decommitting. It seems to have happend to us (especually us) this year. All they need to do is take their time and announce it when they and their family are comfortable with the decision
    My guess is at the time that commitment is made, they are comfortable, until that better deal comes along. I don't like the fact that kids are leaving, but it does show, IMHO, that Chizik is recruiting some better talent. I would be a little leary if nobody wanted the kids that GC was bringing in.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Un-ethical maybe but to tell a seventeen or eighteen year old kid that if you don't take this schollarship we will give it to someone else, as some programs do, puts a lot of pressure on them to "commit."

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 806

Let's make a real world comparison. If you were about to graduate from Iowa State, and agreed to take a job with a small company in eastern Washington State for $45K, then before you had ever rented a moving van, a much larger firm called offering $75K with perks (take your pick, in Des Moines, Ames--or Phoenix), would you switch?

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 30

I love following recruiting and certainly get excited about it, however...............I tend to take it with a grain of salt. I was not a recruited athlete, however I did change my school of choice while in high school to better fit my major. Am I disappointed some of these kids dropped us for other schools, absolutely yes, but I also know that they are 17-18 year old KIDS and they are trying to find the best fit for them. I certainly cannot and will not fault them for that. I also know that we recruited Baysinger and a couple others while they were "committed" to others. Our own head coach has stated that he will continue to recruit players that are "committed to others" The poster above hit the nail on the head, a commitment means nothing until signed and then you may have academic issues that prevent them from showing up. Keep the faith.

If you don't think every day is a good day, try missing one.

lakeliving

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's not the definition of commitment with respect to recruiting. You have to realize that most of these HS kids like the attention and free trips they get through recruiting...it is human nature (maybe you got treated like this with interviewing trips upon graduation from ISU...I know I went on some trips where I was relatively certain I would not be taking a position just to make the trip and I always left the company with the impression I was very interested...even when I was not).

Once these kids are on campus for their trip they get the "full court press" from the school to try and get them to "commit"...for many 17 and 18 year olds it is difficult to say "no". The other to remember is that situations change...maybe a coaching change (not just HC), maybe they recruit someone that plays the same position as you and you were told you were the only one, maybe a school with a bigger rep comes in late...things happen.

What would you do if you were offered, and accepted a job at $25k per year and before you started that job someone else offered you a similar job at $75k...how many of you would stay "committed"?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,358
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 122

Technically, Bo Williams did not follow through on his committment to FL, but I don't see any cyclone fans crying foul on this one. I guess I don't see that being any different than someone decommitting during the recruiting process. If Bo thinks that he has a better chance here, which he does, who is to stop him from chasing the better opportunity?

Last edited by djcubby; 01-16-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 300
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Although it sucks we can't keep some of these recruits I think it is a good sign they are sought after by other schools and shows that Chizik is making some good judgements of talent.

He also may be discovering the quality of recruits before other schools are and then when other schools figure out they are quality recruits the grass is suddently greener for the recruit.

If this is the case then we will lose some recruits but we will also get some too.

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then. (Bad analogy.)

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 204
    Given: 292

Quote Originally Posted by clonehenge View Post
    A pledge or promise; obligation

I understand that kids are going to change their minds but as someone who was brought up to always keep their word and act with integrity it kind of bothers me that kids these days would say they are committed to a school and then break their promise.

If they aren't sure then don't commit. Take all your visits...tell a school they are your favorite...but don't make a commitment until you're done with visits and you are sure where you want to go.

I feel if you "committed" then you gave your word or promised and you should honor that...

OK, I will now step off my soapbox and focus on things that are more important in life...
    I wonder how hard these kids get hammered by coaches, then second-guess themselves when they get courted by another coach. I think there is more to this than watching them committ then de-com.

j

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs