Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 0

Interesting comparison

I pulled this quote from a different board:

"After 12 years Mac is still under .500 in regular league play and hasn't made a major bowl game. Given enough time anything can happen, but I think the likelyhood of the team turning into a major contender under Mac is very doubtful. He has the longest tenure in the league and those of us who aren't in his corner feel that he's had adequate time to perform. This isn't wanting change for the sake of change. He's had his hand chosen guys, he's had time to put his systems into place, he's had plenty to time to surround himself with quality, and he's had plenty of time to prove his coaching and teaching skills. At some point you have to be accountable for results. Another of those old outdated management sayings."

Actually, that really isn't an exact quote. It's a quote where I changed names and a few words to make it intelligable. The actual quote refers to Steve Alford and the Iowa Basketball program.

That fanbase is utterly ripped asunder from infighting about their coach and program. Their attendance was dismal last year until they went on their run (they even had games with under 9000 tickets sold). They still hit the top 25 in tickets sold but it took a lot of sellouts to get there. They barely beat us, and I don't know if I've ever seen interest in Cyclone basketball as low as it was at the end of last year.

I'm not saying that you should change your opinion of Mac or that you we should all be homers who fall right in the company line. I think as the season progresses depending on if we have the success we want or not, we all have to keep in mind that we are all Cyclone fans and want the best for the program. Let's not let every football thread turn into a debate on whether Mac should be fired or not.

Peace everybody.

Oh, and here's the original quote:

"After 7 years Steve is still under .500 in regular league play and has won 1 NCAA game. Given enough time anything can happen, but I think the likelyhood of the team turning into a major contender under Steve is very doubtful. He has the second most tenure in the league and those of us who aren't in his corner feel that he's had adequate time to perform. This isn't wanting change for the sake of change. He's had his hand chosen guys, he's had time to put his systems into place, he's had plenty to time to surround himself with quality, and he's had plenty of time to prove his coaching and teaching skills. At some point you have to be accountable for results. Another of those old outdated management sayings."

Peace.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

Re: Interesting comparison

Yeah, they have problems too. Win the Big Ten and then take a hike for the NCAA.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Steve Alford has earned being fired even more than Mac IMO. He has done a few good things, but has mostly been average. I love that he's the Hawkeye coach, and if I were a Hawkeye fan, I would hate it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Ya know, from what I hear, Iowa Admin hoped Alford would blow the Big 10 tourney so they could fire him and hire McDermott, that he was their guy all along. Then Alford, in his traditional fashion, went and screwed that up by winning the tourney, then floundering in the dance. Then they hoped that Indiana or Oklahoma would hire him away from Iowa. Didn't happen. Iowa got stuck. How do you fire the reigning Big 10 champ? Plus, their guy's now coahing at their main rival. Must suck to be a Suckeye.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 369

Good stuff as always Bryce. Hopefully everyone gets the real point here.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Good stuff as always Bryce. Hopefully everyone gets the real point here.
    The real point??? If you mean that there are fans on the other side that think that they can do better than their current situation, then I think you are right.
    If you mean that people were so disgusted by the pathetic job of teaching that the coaching staff did, that they felt another direction was the best option, then I would agree with you.
    If you mean that there are people that give money, who want to be moved, both by what they see on the field/court and by the man coaching, and ARE NOT GETTING THAT, then I concur.
    If you mean that people have EXPECTATIONS of their program, and are "arrogant" enough to think that they deserve to win, then I really think that you are on to something there.
    If people want to actually hear the coach take responsibility for decisions, and the reasons behind why those decisions were made, instead of excuses for failure, then we are ON THE SAME PAGE.
    Alas, I know that you think that if you dare question the great Danny Mac, then you are most definitely NOT an Iowa State fan, so I am guessing that none of those apply.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Alford won a title. Can Mac get one of those so that the analogy works a little better?