Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 63

Hilton Magic, is it still there?

I have been thinking the last few years that Hilton Magic is slowly dying. Hilton Magic to me was when the fans could will the Cyclones to victory.

Why has this changed? What can ISU fans to get this back? I think one problem (small) are things like the letters JP and Jeff Johnson sent out to everyone. Hilton just does not have that hostile environment feel anymore.

The biggest reason I feel is the change up of seating. I remember when I went to ISU there used to be a lottery for seating. students were guaranteed something like 3 games in the lower bowl area. Now that ISU has totally and utterly sold their souls for the almight $, I do not think there will ever be the same Hilton Magic again.

What do you all think? Yes if ISU wins or goes on a run the fans go crazy and it is loud, but it just doesn't seem to be the same.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 2

Re: Hilton Magic, is it still there?

First of all you don't need profanity to have a hostile environment.

But I agree that Hilton is not what it used to be. I am actually beginning to believe that the seating does have a part to do with it. Having the students spread out throughout Hilton (lower bowl) and closer to the floor would get more of Hilton active (including more students getting active).

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nothing against you twojman, but this has been a topic since at least since I was a student ('01-'05). IMO, winning cures everything. The team needs to pull off that one big upset at home and ride that as long as they can. If the players believe that no one should be able to come into Hilton and win, good things will happen and the fans will get behind them.

CyBookie bet. How many threads before seasons end will revolve around Hilton Magic and Cyclone Alley?

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 2

Over/Under 100?

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,856
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I have been thinking the last few years that Hilton Magic is slowly dying. Hilton Magic to me was when the fans could will the Cyclones to victory.

I'm still here, and no, I'm not slowly dying. I'm alive and well.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Hilton is not what it used to be and profanity is definately not part of that. I think people have just lost interest since we are not winning around 20 games. It's always been about winning. When we were good Students would line up hours before the doors would open just to get a good seat. Now you can't even fill Cyclone Alley to the brim unless Kansas is in town. My fresshman year I got 4 lower level seats for the season because they had a rotation because there was that much demand.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,987
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hilton Magic will always be there...it's just whether or not those in attendance choose to channel it. Hilton Magic is like Chuck Norris...if you believe it to be.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I agree that Hilton Magic is not what it was in the JO era, and ISU wasn't necessarily winning 20 games a season back then.

A couple of things that have changed since the JO era. Teams are much better at defending transition baskets by dropping back a couple of defenders on every shot attempt. The better defensive principles have led to fewer runs. The runs are what really energize the crowd.

The structured TV timeouts have also hurt because they interrupt the flow of the game and take the energy out of the crowd. Coaches are also pretty good at using their timeouts to quite the crowd.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 180

yawn- another topic about how Hilton Magic is dead.
    Its never as good as you remember it to be because everyone only remembers the games they want to remember. I remember going to some break/non conference games in the late 80's early 90's and asking my dad where everyone was. We were able to walk right down and sit in the front on several occasions.
    Is Hilton a great atmosphere? Heck Yeah.
    Is there moments when its the best home court advantage in the country? It has its moments.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was in school from 83-87. I was still a HS senior in the spring of 83 when Barry Stevens led us to victory over a great Missouri team. I listened to that game on the radio because I had decided to attend ISU...it is generally revered as the beginning of Hilton Magic. I'm not sure when it was named "Hilton Magic"...that came sometime after I left for certain.

From 83-87 I witnessed every home BB game ISU played, every tournament game (Big 8, NIT, and NCAA) game they played and a few away games. As I recall, our student BB tickets rotated between the arena circle, the parquet, and the balcony. We were interspersed throughout the crowd. I do think that the rotation and interspersing did encourage the non-student fans to be more active during the games.

I do not remember very many seats sitting empty at any games during my time. Really, the only times I remember it at all were during break periods (the game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for example) but that was only in the upper reaches of the balcony. The attendance averages for this time period verify my rememberance...83-84..12,675, 84-85..13,259, 85-86..14,024, 86-87..13,449, and 87-88..14,238. If I recollect accurately, the stated capacity of Hilton at the time was 14,020.

The crowds were loud and intimidating. However, other than the occassional "bull-****" chant, I do not recall much profanity...except from Johnny when you sat in the arena circle and could hear his banter! If anything was said after the 5 quick claps when the opponents were introduced it was "so what" or "who cares". Maybe this was partly due to the students sitting amongst the adults...I don't know.

We didn't win every game in Hilton during this time period. We were actually 63-13 over these 5 years (we did go 13-0 during the great 85-86 Sweet 16 season). But one thing was certain...our opponents (even the best teams in the country at the time like Missouri, OU, and KU) did not like coming to play at Hilton because they knew our proactive energy would elevate the level of play by our team and give them a chance to win the game. The great Danning Manning never experienced a win in Hilton as a player. We didn't wait for the team to be playing well to bring our "A game" as fans...we were fired up from the moment Johnny made his entrance (make no mistake...he knew how to work the crowd into a frenzy) until the final horn sounded (usually in a Cyclone victory). That was the magic! And make no mistake...there was nothing like 14,000 chanting in unison "Sit Down Norm!"!

I know many of you younger people think this is nothing more than a middle-aged guy waxing nostalgic but I ask you, if that were the case, then why did someone feel the need to name what was happening "Hilton Magic"?

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.