square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 730
    Given: 2,907

iPod Touch owners/buyers and/or Mac addicts

Did anyone read the news today about all of the new features they'll be releasing for iPods, Apple TV, and even the new MacBook Air?

LINK: Apple - Hot News

I'm a huge iPod geek, so I was really excited about this:
    Apple - iPod touch - Features

The left-hand side has a little "New" icon next to all of the different new features. I bought this app, and LOVE the e-mail and maps. Haven't played much with the widgets.

Has anyone else gotten this?

M 7/09

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

Re: iPod Touch owners/buyers and/or Mac addicts

I don't have the Touch but I know a couple people that are really excited for the continued development to expand it's current features. Apple is one of the only companies that continues to roll out new features for existing products time and time again and it's a good example that some other companies could really benefit from.

Do you still like the constant screen touching compared to the old wheel navigation? Most of the people that I know that have the Touch were skeptical at first but have learned to love the way it works overall.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I do love the touch - I was a huge fan of the wheel navigation (still am), but this is just so intuitive. I have little kid-sized hands, though, so that probably makes typing easier.

I was really impressed by their deal with Twentieth Century Fox where you can now download an e-copy of every movie you buy. What a genius idea, rather than trying to have to get around the encrypting, convert it to an iPod-compatible format, and THEN loading it into iTunes. You're right - they're always trying something different, and it shows in their stock.

M 7/09

Walk On Achievements:
    SocialVeteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I downloaded the new firmware for me iPhone and it's pretty cool. I love the feature in the Map application that shows you your location. I couldn't tell you how many times I've woken up, taken off a blindfold and had no idea where I was. Now, with my trusty iPhone this won't be happening again!

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I followed Steve's keynote on Engadget today... I guess I just don't get it.

Why would I pay $20 for 5 apps on my iTouch? When I can jailbreak and get better ones?

Why would I pay $499 for a backup device? If you have a wireless router (like me) with a USB port you can plug an USB drive into it and use it for your backup for FREE.

Can someone please explain to me who buys an Apple TV?? Every service on that thing I can get from an Xbox 360, oh and the 360 plays games! Or, if I want to go low tech I take my $12 a/v cord and plug my older iPod into my TV. Movie rentals? Whatever. Again the 360 has been doing this for over a year. And besides if you like to watch movies you already have Netflix.

And the Macbook Air? 3 pounds. Damn, a stiff breeze might blow it off the table. The thing just looks FRAGILE. My biggest complaint is the battery. How can you produce a "laptop" and then not give the person the opportunity to change out the battery? And then want "only" $129 to replace your battery. WHHHAAATT????

I like Apple products and all, but this company is REALLY starting to lose me.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGizzard View Post
    I downloaded the new firmware for me iPhone and it's pretty cool. I love the feature in the Map application that shows you your location. I couldn't tell you how many times I've woken up, taken off a blindfold and had no idea where I was. Now, with my trusty iPhone this won't be happening again!
    You should also now be able to write yourself a pretty good note, "Memento"-style, telling you what you were doing last. No more tattooing yourself!

M 7/09

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by uthaman View Post
    I followed Steve's keynote on Engadget today... I guess I just don't get it.

Why would I pay $20 for 5 apps on my iTouch? When I can jailbreak and get better ones?

Why would I pay $499 for a backup device? If you have a wireless router (like me) with a USB port you can plug an USB drive into it and use it for your backup for FREE.

Can someone please explain to me who buys an Apple TV?? Every service on that thing I can get from an Xbox 360, oh and the 360 plays games! Or, if I want to go low tech I take my $12 a/v cord and plug my older iPod into my TV. Movie rentals? Whatever. Again the 360 has been doing this for over a year. And besides if you like to watch movies you already have Netflix.

And the Macbook Air? 3 pounds. Damn, a stiff breeze might blow it off the table. The thing just looks FRAGILE. My biggest complaint is the battery. How can you produce a "laptop" and then not give the person the opportunity to change out the battery? And then want "only" $129 to replace your battery. WHHHAAATT????

I like Apple products and all, but this company is REALLY starting to lose me.
    I do get what you're saying. I'm not a Mac person, so I didn't take much interest in the Air thing. I, too, just use an external backup, too - don't need to drop a bunch of money on that.

Honestly, all I'm really interested in is the iPod and iTunes stuff. I mostly got the apps because I travel a TON, and the route thing is really cool for when I'm on the road. I've considered the Apple TV, but there are so many alternatives that it hasn't even remotely been worth the $300 it used to be.

M 7/09

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Yeah, I'm totally outraged that every product the company releases doesn't knock me off my feet too!

All jokes aside, I think the Air has a market. Doubt it's many people on here, but a good cross-section of business travelers love Mac stuff, and giving them a super light, thin, stylish laptop that is fitting into a category that Apple doesn't have any previous product makes a lot of sense to me. Now I love my Macbook Pro because I need the speed and screen size among other things, but the Air's still gorgeous.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I love the 1.1.3 update to iPhone and iPod touch. Since I HAVE the iPhone, I don't need the apps on the touch. The ability to move my icons around was the one thing I felt was missing before, and now we have it.

Apple could poo a white turd, slap a logo on it and sell it as iTurd and I'd probably buy it. (So long as it had USB and WiFi.)

I believed in Gene Chizik and all I got was this lousy limited-edition commemorative coin.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 470
    Given: 314

Quote Originally Posted by jbing View Post
    I love the 1.1.3 update to iPhone and iPod touch. Since I HAVE the iPhone, I don't need the apps on the touch. The ability to move my icons around was the one thing I felt was missing before, and now we have it.

Apple could poo a white turd, slap a logo on it and sell it as iTurd and I'd probably buy it. (So long as it had USB and WiFi.)
    You are definitely their target group then.