Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 184
    Given: 811

First Twenty Commits Ranked

I tossed this together a couple of weeks ago. With a couple of edits (including the loss of Grant!) I thought you guys might enjoy reading it.

1. Jerome Tiller 6-3 184 4.47 5.5 San Antonio, TX
    If he truly has the skills for quarterback, Tiller could be very, very good. Otherwise, he could be an impact player at free safety, or a very good wide receiver. The forty inch vertical catches the eye.
    2. Chase Harper 6-5 220 4.56 Pflugerville, TX
    I don’t think he’s so much of a wideout, I have a suspicion that he’s a tight end all the way, and if he gets qualified, will be playing as a true frosh. Not a lock until he visits--or signs.
    3. Adrin Haughton 6-4 323 4.9 Sanford, FL
    He’s a gamble academically, and a 5,32 combine time tells me that he’s likely to play offense. However, if he makes it into school, he could even be playing immediately.
    4. Leonard Johnson 5-10 177 Largo FlL.
    A good athlete, he could help in a number of ways, including immediate depth at corner.
    5. Josh Jordan 6-4 202 4.71 5.1 St. Amant, LA
    I really, really like this guy, if Tiller isn’t a pure quarterback, Jordan could be a star. Son of a coach, good size and arm and can run, I’m intrigued. In any other year, I’d call Jordan the quarterback of the future—if not now.
    6. Darius Darks 6-1 175 4.51 Pflugerville, TX
    The only thing I wonder is whether he puts on a little weight, and plays free safety, or more weight and plays strong. A valuable player either way.
    7. Ter’ran Benton 5-11 175 Mansfield, TX
    A very much needed corner prospect, apparently also on the ‘academic question’ list. Still, could be a contributor as a freshman.
    8. Jason Carlson 6-0 195 4.4 Wahpeton, ND
    He’s ranked here solely in the expectation that he solidifies the return game, if he proves to be an effective wideout, he would be higher. Raw speed is a major asset.
    9. Zach Guyer 6-3 170 Johnston, IA
    Just based on pure need, Guyer would also rank higher, perhaps even be number one, but he has to prove that he’s not another Tony Yelk. Still inconsistent, will still see action right away.
    10. Doran Guillory 6-3 270 4.75 Beaumont, TX
    Just what the ‘Clones need, a potential defensive tackle who can run, and has room for some muscle. Might play right away, but a redshirt might be more useful.
    11. Lonzie Range 6-2 176 Carrollton, TX
    As an athlete, I like him somewhat higher, but that knee injury has me a bit hesitant. Whether he redshirts or not, he could be a crucial player in ’09.
    12. Ethan Tuftee OL 6-4 285 5.08 5.4 Davenport, IA
    The first commit in the class has ‘sleeper’ written all over him. May be an eventual center rather than a guard, but I am reasonably certain that he’ll spend most of his career in the two deep.
    13. Jared Edwards DE 6-4 250 4.9 5.2 Mansfield, TX
    As attested by his mom, he’ll be a defensive end as a Cyclone, and I’m hoping that he can be as good as Kurtis Taylor.
    14. Dustin Land 6-0 197 4.41 Milton, FL
    That listed 4.41 time may be more like a 4.6, but he’ll still be badly needed depth at safety.
    15. Jake McDonough 6-6 238 West Des Moines, IA
    The first of a number of players with questions as to their eventual positions, also has a question with grades as well. Defensive end, tackle, offensive line—or juco?
    16. Carter Bykowski TE 6-7 245 4.95 Eden Prairie, MN
    I’m pretty sure that he’ll be an offensive tackle, but will it be on the strongside, or as a pass protecting left tackle? I don’t think we’ll know before ’09.
    17. Kurt Hammerschmidt 6-6 235 4.65 St. Louis, MO
    Whatever position he plays, be it tight end or somewhere else, he’s a good athlete with plenty of room for growth.
    18. Ernest Ferguson 6-0 215 4.6 Royal Palm Beach, FL
    I don’t mind short linebackers, but they are at a disadvantage. And is he a middle linebacker, or strictly weakside?
    19. Tracy Robertson DE 6-4 230 - 5.2 Houston, TX
    An early commit, and now as then, I wonder if he’ll stay at end, or grow into a tackle?
    20. Jeremiah Schwartz 5-10 248 Orlando, FL
    Yes, I know that some people are excited about him. But I could give a long list of big backs who run far better than a 4.89 forty at combine.

And…the rest of the story. What I think we need, and the the remainder that isn’t filled will be atop the ’09 recruiting needs list.

21. Juco
    I’m guessing when the semester starts, we’ll find that there is at least one January enrollee that we know nothing about. Don’t ask me where—tight end or linebacker?
    22. Linebacker
    The position just looks really thin to me, all three slots. I don’t see too many young studs on the horizon.
    23. Safety
    I certainly wouldn’t mind an athlete much like Tiller to play next to Darks.
    24. Defensive End
    I have to admit that D.J. Marshall seemed exactly what I was hoping for. That hurt.
    25. Wide Receiver
    In an offense that uses many, and with Graham not signing, this is a position asking for some attention.
    26. Center
    Unless Tuftee plays the spot, it seems to be a gap. Grant and King would have left this the only possible hole.
    27. Defensive Tackle
    Either a nose or a big tackle type to complement the Black/Guillory duo seems a necessity.
    28. Running Back
    I certainly don’t think we have enough quality depth—especially since three seniors will complete their eligibility next fall.
    29. Tight End
    If Harper doesn’t play here, it’s higher. Tight end will be on the ’09 list regardless.
    30. Offensive Line

I have to say that when I composed this, David Grant was committed, and Joe King was rumored to have as well. To me, King would have been the cherry on top of an excellent offensive line class that went a long way to solving the woes of the latter McCarney era. I had Grant rated near the top, and without an athlete of his caliber, there is still some work to do, either in this class or '09. My main concern is how many of the guys on the edge will qualify--after all, Webster Patrick looked awfully good on paper, too.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 197

Re: First Twenty Commits Ranked

Thanks for the info, you didn't have positions listed with some, but i could figure it out with your tid-bits of info...thanks.

Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 705
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 0

You mentioned for a couple of guys being a potential QB of the future. In the next few years I don't see the QB position being an issue unless Bates moves to give these guys the backup role. I guess with a redshirt that would leave them 2 years but a guy with 4.47 speed on the bench as a backup QB wouldn't be where I'd want him.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't mean to imply immediate future--and obviously Arnaud would seem to now be the quarterback of the present. However, I'm quite certain that Tiller wouldn't be coming unless he felt he had a reasonable shot of unseating Austen, and I really, really like Jordan.

And I'm not counting on Austen Arnaud being absolutely flawlwess, a complete lock. He has a great deal to prove yet.

Still, at the moment "quarterback of the future" does mean about three years down the line. And Bates and Arnaud are in the same class eligibility-wise, after all.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 4

First off i think we all have to say either Arnaud has to do something horribly wrong, or bates,tiller, and jordan will have to show some spectacular ability in spring to take the starting job away from austen. Bates is most likely to be able to but tiller is a very intresting add, because why would gene add another dualthreat qb with bates and arnaud still around for 3 years more, unless he sees some major potential

ALL IN

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

for the most part i agree with your assessment of this recruiting class. one thing i have a major problem with is shwartz as the last on the list. yes he runs a 4.89, but hes not going to be a running back hes going to play FB and like with ryan kock you saw how valuable a short yardage/goalline back can be. personally my top from this class is:
    1. Jerome Tiller as a QB or WR
    2. Ter'ran Benton as a DB
    3. Jeremiah Schwartz as a FB
    4. Leonard Johnson as a DB
    5. Chase Harper as a WR or TE (just as long as he's a 6'5" pass catcher)

ALL IN

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

^^^there is no such thing as too much competition. especially at a position as crucial to success as the quarterback

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    ^^^there is no such thing as too much competition. especially at a position as crucial to success as the quarterback
    true that... im very glad that bates and tiller will challenge austen that way he wont get complacent and not improve year to year like a young man from atlantic iowa.... i wont mention his name, but he only got worse

ALL IN

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Do you think we would go to the 2 QB option like LSU does or like Florida did last year?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonemaniac7 View Post
    Do you think we would go to the 2 QB option like LSU does or like Florida did last year?
    we could, but the problem is LSU have ryan perrilloux(running) and matt flynn(passing). for the clones bates, arnaud and incoming tiller are all dual threat, so basically it would be same plays just a different guy

ALL IN

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneman003 View Post
    true that... im very glad that bates and tiller will challenge austen that way he wont get complacent and not improve year to year like a young man from atlantic iowa.... i wont mention his name, but he only got worse
    Hard to improve when you're running for your life, or getting pounded into sausage.

That's why more athletic OL recruits are so important.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 534

You should save that list on your computer and repost it in 3-4 years so we can laugh at it.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Are you saying that you'd like to see one from 3-4 years ago?

Shoot, we can probably laugh (or cry) at this on on signing day if recruits keep getting stolen.

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    You should save that list on your computer and repost it in 3-4 years so we can laugh at it.
    This post probably has more legs to it than any other I've read on this sight. Should be posted every time a "predictions" post is made. If I knew how to give rep power you'd get a million!

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,095
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 69

I love recruting QB's simply because most high schools need and have their best player playing QB. I don't care or take stock as to where they'll play in college, but given their size you can fill holes at other positions on the team other than at line. That's one thing I like about this class. Many are listed at a position they'll proboably play but many are their high schools teams QB.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'