Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 210,338, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,510
    Points
    210,338
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 31

    Running Back Situation

    Our RB situation has totally improved with the addition of Bo Williams. After watching video highlights of him, he possesses both power and speed. Most of his highlights were bursts through the middle where he sheds a tackle or two and then outruns the pursuit into the endzone.

    Next year we have A-Rob, Bass, and Scales. Not too bad. Then the next year we have A-Rob, and Bo Williams. Add Schwartz into the mix at FB, and I think we look pretty good. Bo Williams was definitely a great catch in a big area of need for our team.

    I am very disappointed that we seem to have lost out on Grant and King for our OL. Those guys would have been great catches. Hope we can get them back on board or get two others that will fill our needs. This class looks pretty decent but we really need those two guys or someone similar. But you still have to like the direction our recruiting is going. I remember in past years when we would only have about 8 or 9 commits around this time.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 178,666, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,632
    Points
    178,666
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 325

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I remember in past years when we would only have about 8 or 9 commits around this time.
    I had to take a look at when you posted this. Since Mac usually used almost all of his official visits in early December so as not to scare off kids with frigid weather, I'm reasonably sure that he always had around twenty commits by this time.

    On the other hand, I'd have to agree that losing Grant and King hurt a great deal.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 85,096, Level: 90
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,104
    Points
    85,096
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Definitely LOTS of potential in the backfield for awhile at Iowa State. But ask Emmitt Smith what a great line can do for a really good back - They can turn them into LEGENDS. A lot is gonna depend on that offensive line and how well they progress. Chizik knew those trenches had to be addressed and it's obvious he is working on it.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 59,515, Level: 75
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,318
    Points
    59,515
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Our RB situation has totally improved with the addition of Bo Williams. After watching video highlights of him, he possesses both power and speed. Most of his highlights were bursts through the middle where he sheds a tackle or two and then outruns the pursuit into the endzone.

    Next year we have A-Rob, Bass, and Scales. Not too bad. Then the next year we have A-Rob, and Bo Williams. Add Schwartz into the mix at FB, and I think we look pretty good. Bo Williams was definitely a great catch in a big area of need for our team.

    I am very disappointed that we seem to have lost out on Grant and King for our OL. Those guys would have been great catches. Hope we can get them back on board or get two others that will fill our needs. This class looks pretty decent but we really need those two guys or someone similar. But you still have to like the direction our recruiting is going. I remember in past years when we would only have about 8 or 9 commits around this time.
    You make it sound like we sucked or something running the ball. I actually thought that the backfield was at a good place. Robison showed great signs of being a decent back, and Bass and Scales weren't spectacular, but they weren't bad either.

    I don't disagree that he did help it, but "totally improving" seems to me to be an overstatement. And to top it off, no one has seen Bo play. You can make an assesment, but in the relm of things, he hasn't improved it any more than a two star speedster that's coming in. Until these guys play, and show that they can contribute, there is no more depth than the water boy.


    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 210,338, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,510
    Points
    210,338
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 31

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    You make it sound like we sucked or something running the ball. I actually thought that the backfield was at a good place. Robison showed great signs of being a decent back, and Bass and Scales weren't spectacular, but they weren't bad either.

    I don't disagree that he did help it, but "totally improving" seems to me to be an overstatement. And to top it off, no one has seen Bo play. You can make an assesment, but in the relm of things, he hasn't improved it any more than a two star speedster that's coming in. Until these guys play, and show that they can contribute, there is no more depth than the water boy.
    By improved, I was talking about the future with our running backs. Bo Williams must sit out a redshirt year because of his transfer. I think we are in good hands with A-Rob, Scales, and Bass for next year. However Scales and Bass will then be gone. That would leave us with only A-Rob. But now we have Bo Williams also. Two fast quality backs. And I think you need at least two or three in the Big XII. Schwartz is a fullback which will be utilized more IMO.

    My comment was not a knock on our present backs, but more of a reflection that things look very good now for the future. We had a gaping hole at RB after Scales and Bass are gone as we only had A-Rob.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 210,338, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26,510
    Points
    210,338
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 31

    Re: Running Back Situation

    By the way, Bo Williams was a Rivals Top 250 coming out of High School. How many of those have we had?



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 334,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,729
    Points
    334,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Right now, Bo is nothing more than a great HS running back with a ton of collegiate potential hampered by a knee injury last fall and now a kid that is transferring and won't see the field until '09.

    I am ecstatic we have him, don't mistake my post for anything else. I'm just cautious too - knowing he's got an injury to battle back from (he does have plenty of time) and certainly curious why he landed here vs a school with a much better tradition. I don't think because we got him, that it's because there is something wrong - just curious. I'm mostly throwing a bit of caution to the wind created by the flurry of threads in the past week about this guy...this one player that will join many others.

    He certainly could be a big piece that puts sends this program in the direction Pollard envisions, Chizik is toiling for and the fans so desperately want.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 59,515, Level: 75
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,318
    Points
    59,515
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    By improved, I was talking about the future with our running backs. Bo Williams must sit out a redshirt year because of his transfer. I think we are in good hands with A-Rob, Scales, and Bass for next year. However Scales and Bass will then be gone. That would leave us with only A-Rob. But now we have Bo Williams also. Two fast quality backs. And I think you need at least two or three in the Big XII. Schwartz is a fullback which will be utilized more IMO.

    My comment was not a knock on our present backs, but more of a reflection that things look very good now for the future. We had a gaping hole at RB after Scales and Bass are gone as we only had A-Rob.
    Worded that way, I can completely agree. I know I posted something before as well in line with what '22 said, at this is I throw a bit of caution too. I am excited as well, but wont be dissappointed if it doesn't pan out. Until I see something, my expectations are static.


    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 334,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,729
    Points
    334,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Running Back Situation

    There are certainly some very nice pieces of the puzzle being put together in the ISU backfield.

    In '09, Arnaud (the leading candidate for starting QB) will be a junior...as will A-Rob. Bo will either be a sophomore or freshman...but with some college experience as far as practice, training and watching. The makings of some very nice potential.

    At receiver...Hamilton will be a senior at that point and beyond that - everyone else is an unknown. Catlett could develop into a nice option for us either out of the backfield at the H-back spot or the traditional tight end.

    If our line can continue to progress, we can get some other receivers developed and these backs are the real-deal - I like our chances offensively.

    Still, it all boils down to turning potential into reality.


    Last edited by ISUFan22; 01-15-2008 at 10:57 AM.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 20,570, Level: 43
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    lakeliving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    416
    Points
    20,570
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 14

    Re: Running Back Situation

    I might be in the minority here, but I think that J.J. Bass has a ton of potential. Early on when he was healthy, it was an offensive line that was still learning on the fly. Later when the offensive line started to gel, he was not playing or playing injured. I think too many people have written him off without giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think Robinson played well, but many people seem to have forgotten about Bass. I hope Williams turns out to be a fantastic player for ISU, but I also remember a few years back when we had recruited, Webster Patrick, Greg Coleman, Tyease Thompson, and Brandon Gunn, all running backs that were 3 stars or higher. Patrick never showed, Coleman played some and transferred, Thompson played some and then got into trouble, and to my knowledge Gunn never played and left.


    If you don't think every day is a good day, try missing one.

    lakeliving

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 59,515, Level: 75
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,318
    Points
    59,515
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Running Back Situation

    I was impressed with the line last year. Sure they're not extrodinary, but they held up well. The holes are still small right now to run through, but the pass protection was decent.

    I think this is where that speed factor comes in. RB screens become more of a reality, and outside runs become more feasable instead of the Stevie Hicks up the middle type style.

    WR's are my concern as well. Hamilton is a best, and with the arm that Arnaud has, we can hit the longer balls more often. Besides those two, no one else who will still be around has stepped up at all. With a spread it doesn't take pure talent althelets to make a difference. The offensive scheme is what steps up the production of even and under talented Wideout.

    I like the thought of Bo Williams spread out to one side or the other, and Robinson in the backfield.


    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks



  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,102, Level: 73
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,621
    Points
    56,102
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by lakeliving View Post
    I might be in the minority here, but I think that J.J. Bass has a ton of potential. Early on when he was healthy, it was an offensive line that was still learning on the fly. Later when the offensive line started to gel, he was not playing or playing injured. I think too many people have written him off without giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think Robinson played well, but many people seem to have forgotten about Bass. I hope Williams turns out to be a fantastic player for ISU, but I also remember a few years back when we had recruited, Webster Patrick, Greg Coleman, Tyease Thompson, and Brandon Gunn, all running backs that were 3 stars or higher. Patrick never showed, Coleman played some and transferred, Thompson played some and then got into trouble, and to my knowledge Gunn never played and left.
    I agree, Bass has a ton of potential. Depth should not be a problem at RB next year. A-rob and J.J are both starting backs.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 44,421, Level: 65
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    44,421
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

    Re: Running Back Situation

    All of our RB depth doesn't mean much if we don't have a line. I like what I've seen from McFarland so far, but we'll see how our line looks once we're able to have both Bo and A-Rob.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 34,982, Level: 57
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cycloneman003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    2,944
    Points
    34,982
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

    Re: Running Back Situation

    production wasnt horrible from the backs last year but yard per carry were about 3.6 as a team and thats unacceptable. ARob and a healthy JJ will be more productive, but i think ARob and Bo will be more homerun hitters and give us a legit scoring threat out of the backfield that is going to be great to have


    ALL IN

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 252,970, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,540
    Points
    252,970
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 0

    Re: Running Back Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    You make it sound like we sucked or something running the ball. I actually thought that the backfield was at a good place. Robison showed great signs of being a decent back, and Bass and Scales weren't spectacular, but they weren't bad either.
    RUSHING OFFENSE G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1. Oklahoma State...... 8 384 2109 5.5 19 263.6
    2. Texas............... 8 328 1649 5.0 21 206.1
    3. Texas A&M........... 8 365 1600 4.4 14 200.0
    4. Kansas.............. 8 312 1452 4.7 18 181.5
    5. Oklahoma............ 8 316 1318 4.2 15 164.8
    6. Colorado............ 8 315 1307 4.1 14 163.4
    7. Missouri............ 8 314 1246 4.0 18 155.8
    8. Kansas State........ 8 253 1066 4.2 13 133.2
    9. Nebraska............ 8 249 1060 4.3 8 132.5
    10.Iowa State.......... 8 307 908 3.0 11 113.5
    11.Baylor.............. 8 186 528 2.8 4 66.0
    12.Texas Tech.......... 8 135 375 2.8 8 46.9

    Well, we did sort of suck running the ball.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM