Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Does this irritate anyone else?

    Does anyone else get irritated with the NCAA's handling of Kelvin Sampson? He cheated with a reckless disregard at OU and repeatedly violated the terms of his probation at IU, yet his team is now in the top 10.

    Indiana imposed a one scholarship penalty and loss of bonus, but is that a judicious penalty? It looks to me like the message is to cheat like heck if it gives you an on court advantage because the pros will outweigh the cons.

    If you really want to discourage repeat offenders then why is Indian eligible for post season play? If you repeatedly cheat to gain an advantage why should any of your wins count? Indian knew they hired a cheater that was on probation, thus why is this seemingly being handled like a first offense?

    Is it any wonder that the head of NCAA was formerly the president of Indiana University?



  2. #2
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    What makes it worse is a school like Baylor is STILL paying for what happened 5 or so years ago - different coach, different players - and will through 2010 I think they said on Saturday. Only recently became eligible for post season play.

    Sampson cheats at OU, cheats at IU - ehhhh...



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 13,023, Level: 34
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    672
    Points
    13,023
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    I thought this post was going to be about people talking about Jessica Simpson/Tony Romo...



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 385,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,563
    Points
    385,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Its not what you know, its who you know.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,419, Level: 85
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    4429 mcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wall Street
    Posts
    4,402
    Points
    76,419
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    Does anyone else get irritated with the NCAA's handling of Kelvin Sampson? He cheated with a reckless disregard at OU and repeatedly violated the terms of his probation at IU, yet his team is now in the top 10.

    Indiana imposed a one scholarship penalty and loss of bonus, but is that a judicious penalty? It looks to me like the message is to cheat like heck if it gives you an on court advantage because the pros will outweigh the cons.
    If you really want to discourage repeat offenders then why is Indian eligible for post season play? If you repeatedly cheat to gain an advantage why should any of your wins count? Indian knew they hired a cheater that was on probation, thus why is this seemingly being handled like a first offense?

    Is it any wonder that the head of NCAA was formerly the president of Indiana University?

    Yo- that's life man...everyone measures pro & cons before acting...some people's preception of wrong/right is just different. Everyone in life plays the probability of getting caught.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 118,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    118,866
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Kelvin Sampson is just following the path laid out by Lou Holtz, American Icon.



  7. #7
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,972
    Points
    302,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 692

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    I wouldn't say Sampson particularly bothers me, but the whole ball of wax does. Big name schools get away with tons of infractions, while lesser schools are punished to the max "as an example." If you really want to make an example of someone, take down a dirty big name program.



  8. #8
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    435
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Was OU ever penalized for Sampson's actions? Can't remember. They surely didn
    't get off scott free just because he left did they?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 450,388, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,555
    Points
    450,388
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 25

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    OU is above the law for the NCAA, they should have had all their wins stripped from them last year, and nothing happend.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 42,228, Level: 63
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    TheHelgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,758
    Points
    42,228
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I wouldn't say Sampson particularly bothers me, but the whole ball of wax does. Big name schools get away with tons of infractions, while lesser schools are punished to the max "as an example." If you really want to make an example of someone, take down a dirty big name program.
    Indiana is anything but Dirty! yes, they have an issue right now, but they are one of the cleanest programs in the history of the NCAA.



  11. #11
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,178, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,972
    Points
    302,178
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 692

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    Indiana is anything but Dirty! yes, they have an issue right now, but they are one of the cleanest programs in the history of the NCAA.

    Definitely not singling out Indiana. I am referring more to football schools to be honest, like many SEC teams, etc. I don't have anything against Indiana per se.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 36,803, Level: 59
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,047
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wonkadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,336
    Points
    36,803
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 80

    Re: Does this irritate anyone else?

    Maybe we should have a CF "field trip" over to the Sooner boards and see if they can shed some light on the issue. If they don't have anything to add I'd bet their rivals to the north could fill us in.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM