Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 45

Bears Run Dooms Cyclones

I talked about the tough game on Saturday in my latest blog entry.

Bears Run Dooms Cyclones by Jerry Hales
    :: January 13th, 2008 :: 11:01 pm

Toward the end of the first half ISU showed flashes of brilliance and still held a 7 point lead early in the second half. At that point, Baylor outscored the Cyclones 22-2 and actually went up by as many as 23 points while dominating both sides of the ball. To the Cyclones’ credit, they clawed their way back to make it a 5 point game in the final minutes but could get no closer. The final score was 74-67 as the late rally fell just short.

Freshman phenom Craig Brackins was spectacular from behind the arc, shooting 8-10 from downtown on his way to 33 points. He has been up and down this year, so it was great to see him have a huge game in his first chance to play against Big 12 competition. The 33 points broke an ISU freshman scoring record that was shared by Curtis Stinson and Barry Stevens of 32. Unfortunately, Wesley Johnson was the only other Cyclone in double figures with 11.

While Diante Garrett had 7 assists, he also turned it over 6 times and made some poor decisions on the fly. It is obvious we’ll need him to play a majority of the minutes when other teams press, but he needs to clean up the turnovers. It should also be noted that several of his assists were simple reversals to Brackins for a 3. As I said he’s the best we’ve got so we need this area to improve in a hurry.

The good news is that we showed a lot of grit in hanging in there and not giving up when we got down on the road against a seasoned Big 12 team. Baylor looks a lot better than they have in past years, and it will be interesting to see if this is the year where all those top 20 recruiting classes come together for coach Scott Drew. This leads me to my last thought…I can’t for the life of me figure out how in the heck he’s pulled off all of these great classes. Even if there hadn’t been a scandal and probation with the Bear teammates shooting right before he came in, Baylor isn’t exactly known as the mecca of college basketball. Drew’s background isn’t really as a flashy coach from a high profile program either, as he was with his father at Valparaiso. I guess either he’s a really smooth talker, the recruits are infactuated by his slick hair, or Mrs. Drew is hot and makes a mean Thanksgiving style meal with all the fixins when they make their visits. Regardless, hats off to the Bears and hopefully things will look up as we get a couple at home here this week against Missouri and Oklahoma State!

Last edited by tigershoops31; 01-14-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Starter
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Bears Run Dooms Cyclones

Maybe if you could get your son to follow the rules and not sit on your lap and ruin the momentum we could get a win :)