Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 25

Murdoch garners win #900

On the same day that Bobby Knight misses out on his opportunity to win #900, Coach Murdoch succeeds in win vs Central Oklahoma!

Here is the article from American Collegiate Hockey Association Powered by Goalline Sports Administration Software

Iowa State beats Central Oklahoma for Record-Setting Win

AMES, Iowa Ė Dr. Alan Murdoch, head coach of the Iowa State University menís ice hockey team, secured career win #900 on Saturday during an 8-4 over #19 Central Oklahoma. After its tenth straight victory, Iowa State has compiled a record of 19-8-0 this season and is ranked 12th in the nation.

Murdoch, who began with Cyclone Hockey in 1969, currently holds a career record of 900-448-36 over 39 seasons. In that time, Murdoch has built Cyclone Hockey into one of the most respected non-varsity college hockey programs in the nation.

Murdoch has been recognized as a pioneer in non-varsity college hockey. He was a founding member of the Central States Collegiate Hockey League in 1970. Thirty-seven years later, Cyclone Hockey is still a member of the league, having won 12 CSCHL tournament titles and five regular-season championships.

Murdoch served as the first president of the American Collegiate Hockey Association, the national governing body of non-varsity college hockey, from 1991-1993. Over the last 17 years, the ACHA has grown from 15 charter members to nearly 375 schools spanning three menís divisions and two womenís divisions. The organization honored the Cyclone Hockey coach by naming the ACHA Division I national championship trophy the Murdoch Cup.

There have been many highlights in Murdochís illustrious career. In 1975, Murdoch and the Cyclones welcomed the 1976 U.S. Olympic Menís Ice Hockey Team to James H. Hilton Coliseum in 1975 as part of Team USAís pre-Olympic Tour. The U.S. squad, led by U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Coach Bob Johnson, drubbed the Cyclones 22-1, but the game left a lasting impression on the Iowa hockey community and brought notoriety to non-varsity college hockey.

One of the biggest highlights came in 1992 when Murdoch led the Cyclones to their first-ever ACHA national championship. Since 1992, Iowa State is one of only three schools that have never missed the ACHA national tournament.

In 2001, USA Hockey tabbed Murdoch to be the head coach of the U.S. University Select Team at the World University Games. It marked the first year non-varsity college hockey players took part in a major international competition. During the tournament, Murdochís team comprised of top ACHA talent, including six Cyclones, defeated the heavily favored Team Russia, which featured current National Hockey League star Ilya Kovalchuck, by a score of 4-2.

Murdoch served as the general manager of the U.S. University Selects in 2003 and served as the scouting of Team USA at the last two World University Games in 2005 and 2007.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 686

Re: Murdoch garners win #900

Wow, he has been there for almost 40 years. Awesome.

Starter
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Very impressive, also impressed with the USA victory over the Russian team with Ilya Kovalchuck, one of the NHL's top goal scorers.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Was the game played in Cedar Rapids? I was on my way back to Ames from NE Iowa and I saw a UCO bus on 20. I figured there was some sort of athletic event, but I never once had a thought that it was related to ISU....

"I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They played on Saturday and Sunday in Ames.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chinapuck View Post
    Very impressive, also impressed with the USA victory over the Russian team with Ilya Kovalchuck, one of the NHL's top goal scorers.
    FYI... Kovalchuck is 1st in goals in the NHL with 37 and 2nd in points.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Quote Originally Posted by Cymaster View Post
    Was the game played in Cedar Rapids? I was on my way back to Ames from NE Iowa and I saw a UCO bus on 20. I figured there was some sort of athletic event, but I never once had a thought that it was related to ISU....

Central Oklahoma had a squad at National Duals in Cedar Falls.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have been a little busy at work, and haven't been able to post. But anyways, 900 wins in hockey is an incredibly impressive feat. Murdoch sits just a few dozen wins shy of Ron Mason, retired head coach of the NCAA's Michigan State University hockey team, for the all-time wins list among college hockey coaches.

The Daily had a great editorial today about Coach Murdoch. Give it a quick read here. EDITORIAL: Club sport shines - Opinion

Coach Murdoch is a Cyclone Legend. He dedicated 39 years of his life to this program to make it one of the most respected in non-varsity college hockey. He's not just the coach of the team, he is the General Manager, he sells ads and sponsorships, he's a teacher. The time commitment involved is huge. But he does it for the love of the game and the love of teaching.

He is also well respected in the hockey community. Despite being in a non-traditional hockey market, everyone involved in hockey knows Al Murdoch, and by default knows Iowa State. He's represented the Iowa State community nation and world-wide. He should be commended not only for his wins, but for the way he has represented us, the Cyclone family.

People like Al Murdoch make me proud to be a Cyclone.

Last edited by CycloneHockey; 01-17-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Cyclone Hockey - "Where Winning is a Way of Life"

For up to date stats, news, and our live webcast, check out:
    www.cyclonehockey.com

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Very well said. Coach Murdoch has done an amazing job.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 38

Congrats! I had a couple of friend's play for him in school. Anyone who hasn't gone to a game needs to, good times.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'