Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

Direct tv

Ok.. so Ive officially had enough with mediacom and plan on switching to Direct Tv for their HD programing.

Anything important I should be sure of before ordering?

Does anyone bundle it with Qwest for internet?

Being kind of vague but any imput would be great.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Direct tv

Congrats. I switched and never looked back. Only difference between Mediacom and DirecTV has been that I have been a lot happier, and that occasionally in very bad downpours the satellite picture will pixelate.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

I have the same questions... Bought a house and must decide on the services.

Does Direct Tv bundle like mediacom?

Is there an instalation fee?

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I dont think I have ever heard of anyone who switched wishing they went back. Im excited. I do like the stability of Mediacom during bad weather and their internet service is ok.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No fee right now

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You can bundle with Qwest but their phone service is POTS and Mediacom is VOIP.
    Here's my setup:

I have Mediacom for my ISP, and I use Vonage for my home phone line, and DirecTV for television programming. I spend about $110 a month and have GREAT services.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Make sure you mention I talked you into it, actually find a friend that has DTV and say they referred you, I think you both get $50!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 104

We bundle with Qwest, but i dont think we really save all that much, but I think its cause we dont have a home phone, we just use them for DSL. We switched a year ago and are very happy, nothing but headaches with Mediacom.

Installation should be free, if not ask for it. Upgrade to HD right away, we waited and get it this Friday. Right now I they just lowered the price for the HDDVR to 199 plus new customers are getting 100 rebates on top of that.

#BEATIOWA

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I switched to Direct from Dish and couldn't be happier. Better basic packages and equipment, in my opinion. Call a local installer and ask about the current deal and what the next deal will be. I called towards the end of the month and they had free equipment, $10 off per month for a year and free NFL package for 3 months. She also let me know if I waited a few days she could get me the same thing except movie package instead of NFL and a free DVR upgrade.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,578
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 93

Ok first off, I am extremely horrible at figuring out stuff like this. I just bought a 46" 1080p LCD Samsung television and would like to use HD as much as possible. Would it be smart for me to switch to DirecTV? What exactly does the HDDVR that you get throught Direct tv do? I currently use mediacom for tv and internet. I am happy with the internet, but really not the television. I live in ames. Can anyone give me any advice? I would appreciate it.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

1) Make sure you ask for the on time guarantee. Apparently this is an unadvertised feature that will get you a $100 credit if they miss the install appointment..

2) Try at all costs to get a local installer. I mistakenly went through DirectTV to upgrade to the new HD setup and I have nothing but bad things to say about this company called Premier that they use. The first appointment day I never heard from them at all and they couldn't even reach the installer. The second appointment resulted in an install at 10 pm. That is how I learned out about #1 after about an hour on the phone with various people who had to suffer through how unhappy I was.

3) If you get any resistance, keep mentioning what a great deal you have in front of you from (insert local cable company).

The strange thing is that for the first 4 years or so of DirectTV, I had no problems at all. Then I decided to upgrade to the new dish and HD-DVR.

The install itself went without a hitch (once the guy got to my house) and I really enjoy all the new HD channels and recording in HD.

Whether you like the HD DVR or not, probably depends on if you have a TIVO or not. My other receiver is the old non HD DirecTV TIVO and it has one major advantage - the ability to WISHLIST record. The new HD-DVR box has something like it, but it doesn't work nearly as well.

The HD-DVR has some great features of its own. For example. during NFL Sunday ticket you can program your fantasy football team into so you will get a banner message when one of your players does something of note. If I only had this for more than the final 3 weeks...

I also like the TIVO remote control better in its layout of buttons.

If you have an old style HD TV, make sure you get an HDMI to DVI cord to get the best picture possible.

Dispite my issues with Premier, I would do this upgrade again in a second....

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

The HDDVR is essentially a hard drive you can use to record shows, like Tivo. You just go through the on screen programming guide and select the show(s) you want to record (up to 14 days in advance) and click the record button and it will do the rest. Also, if you like a series you can have it record every time that show airs. It will also pause live TV if you need to hit the can. I highly recommend getting Direct TVs HD channels with the DVR. I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Ok first off, I am extremely horrible at figuring out stuff like this. I just bought a 46" 1080p LCD Samsung television and would like to use HD as much as possible. Would it be smart for me to switch to DirecTV? What exactly does the HDDVR that you get throught Direct tv do? I currently use mediacom for tv and internet. I am happy with the internet, but really not the television. I live in ames. Can anyone give me any advice? I would appreciate it.
    Heres the list of DirecTvs HD channels.
    DIRECTV: Superior HD Programming - All HD Channels

If you want a lot of HD, go with DirecTv. I think Mediacom and Dish network only have 5-8. Maybe a few more. Unfortunately they dont have locals in HD yet, but you can get and over the air antenna that will allow you to get them. The HdDVR allows you to receive the HD signal and record any programs 2 programs at a time.

#BEATIOWA

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

I went with DISH because they had the same stuff as DirectTV and DISH is quite a bit cheaper then Direct. I was going to bundle with Qwest but I could get a better deal doing them seperately so I did it myself. Went from Mediacom to Qwest DSL and haven't had any problems.

Of course Mediacoms service and constant price hikes had me so ****** off I could get electricuted 2 times a day from the remote and still wouldn't switch back.

Addict
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    if you want HD content, DirecTV is really the only game in town. Mediacom doesn't have it now, and probably won't have much in the foreseeable future either.

Nobody is going to be offering 1080p content in the near future, however. Most everything is going to be 1080i, which still looks brilliant. Mediacom still has the best internet service around, however. If you can get high-speed qwest DSL, it's certainly tolerable, though.

I personally have DirecTV for TV and Mediacom for internet, and i'm pretty happy, though it does cost me nearly 200 bucks a month for the combo (mainly because I have damn near every channel DirecTV offers).

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Heres the list of DirecTvs HD channels.
    DIRECTV: Superior HD Programming - All HD Channels

If you want a lot of HD, go with DirecTv. I think Mediacom and Dish network only have 5-8. Maybe a few more. Unfortunately they dont have locals in HD yet, but you can get and over the air antenna that will allow you to get them. The HdDVR allows you to receive the HD signal and record any programs 2 programs at a time.
    Dish has around 70 HD channels at the moment. DirecTV will have 150 by the end of the year.

To put not too sharp a point on it, if HD is important to you, there is really no other choice but DirecTV. Dish comes in a relatively distant second, and Mediacom is still at the starting gate.