Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

Marion Jones gets 6 months???

How does this differ so much from a person who smokes weed or other recreational drugs? A normal non athlete would not get any jail time, but she gets 6 months? Something is wrong with our system.

I would like to see all baseball players get this same sentence then, every last one of them.

ESPN - Marion Jones sentenced to six months in prison - Trackandfield

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Marion Jones was sentenced Friday to six months in prison for lying about using steroids and a check-fraud scam, despite beseeching the judge that she not be separated from her two young children "even for a short period of time."

"I ask you to be as merciful as a human being can be,'' said Jones, who cried on her husband's shoulder after she was sentenced.

The disgraced former Olympic champion was ordered to surrender March 11 to begin her term.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas said he gave her the maximum under her plea deal to send a message to athletes who have abused drugs and overlooked the values of "hard work, dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship."

"Athletes in society have an elevated status, they entertain, they inspire, and perhaps, most important, they serve as role models," Karas said.

Later Friday, Karas was to sentence Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was convicted in the check-fraud scam.

The 31-year-old Jones also was given two years' probation and supervised release, during which she will be required to perform 800 hours of community service.

SportsNation
    What is your reaction to Marion Jones' six-month prison sentence?
    Too harsh
    Just right
    Too light

"As everyone can imagine, I'm very disappointed today," Jones told reporters outside court. "But as I stood in front of all of you for years in victory, I stand in front of you today. I stand for what is right."

"I respect the judge's order, and I truly hope that people will learn from my mistakes," added Jones.

The judge said this would take advantage of Jones' "eloquence, strength and her ability to work with kids."

It was her children that worried Jones most as she beseeched the judge for a lighter sentence, talking at length about her two boys, including the infant son she's still nursing.

"My passion in life has always been my family," Jones said. "I know the day is quickly approaching when my boys ask me about these current events. I intend to be honest and forthright ... and guide them into not making the same mistakes."

The sentence completes a stunning fall for the woman who was once the most celebrated female athlete in the world. She won three gold and two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

After long denying she ever had used performance-enhancing drugs, Jones admitted last October she lied to federal investigators in November 2003, acknowledging she took the designer steroid "the clear" from September 2000 to July 2001. "The clear" has been linked to BALCO, the lab at the center of the steroids scandal in professional sports.

She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam. They include Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was to be sentenced later Friday.

"The revelation that one of the sport's biggest stars took performance-enhancing drugs and repeatedly lied about it, in addition to being a party to fraud, has no silver lining," USA Track & Field president Bill Roe and CEO Craig Masback said in a statement. "But, it is a vivid morality play that graphically illustrates the wages of cheating in any facet of life, on or off the track."

After her guilty pleas last October, Jones made an apologetic and teary-eyed statement outside court, saying, "It's with a great amount of shame that I stand before you and tell you that I have betrayed your trust."

"I have been dishonest, and you have the right to be angry with me," she added. "I have let [my family] down. I have let my country down, and I have let myself down. ... I want to ask for your forgiveness for my actions, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

Jones returned her Olympic medals -- golds in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 1,600-meter relay and bronzes in the long jump and 400-meter relay -- even before the International Olympic Committee ordered her to do so and wiped her results from the books.

Jones was among the many athletes who testified in 2003 before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative.

On the day she pleaded guilty, prosecutors said a 2003 search warrant at BALCO uncovered ledgers, purchases, doping calendars, and various blood-test results connected to Jones and former coach Trevor Graham.

She took EPO, human growth hormone and THG using drops and injections, according to the court documents that show use in 2000 and 2001.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Marion Jones gets 6 months???

Well, she lied to a grand-jury I believe. Commited fraud with a check scam.

Might be a little harsh - but a staggering injustice.

In any case, she'll probably serve 20 days or something.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

She's not going to jail for taking illegal drugs, she's going to jail for lying about it. I believe Barry is the only baseball player who's been under oath, so he would be the only one int he same boat.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Well, she lied to a grand-jury I believe. Commited fraud with a check scam.

Might be a little harsh - but a staggering injustice.

In any case, she'll probably serve 20 days or something.
    Too bad she was not in los Angeles, she would be released on her way in. Wait, no she is not a celeb.

I think of what Paris and Nicole Richie did as much worse, drunk driving is far worse than taking roids.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

If she would have told the truth she wouldn't even be at trial. She is going to jail for lying, not what she has done. No different then Lil' Kim going to jail for lying about witnessing a murder. They are going after Bonds for lying and Tax evasion, not possessing or using drugs. I personally know a few people that HAVE been caught with steroids, most never even got charged, the other got a fine equal to that of drunk in public.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    How does this differ so much from a person who smokes weed or other recreational drugs? A normal non athlete would not get any jail time, but she gets 6 months? Something is wrong with our system.

I would like to see all baseball players get this same sentence then, every last one of them.
    I'm sure the sentence also had something to do with this...

She also admitted lying about her knowledge of the involvement of Tim Montgomery, the father of her older son Monty, in a scheme to cash millions of dollars worth of stolen or forged checks. Montgomery and several others have been convicted in that scam. They include Jones' former coach, Olympic champion Steve Riddick, who was to be sentenced later Friday.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Too bad she was not in los Angeles, she would be released on her way in. Wait, no she is not a celeb.

I think of what Paris and Nicole Richie did as much worse, drunk driving is far worse than taking roids.
    Agreed. Add Lohan to the list as probably the worst.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Putting her in Jail for 1 day is a complete waste of the taxpayer's money. Fine the crap out of her, she is already dead broke and her name has been ran through the dirt.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 872
    Given: 619

The only thing about what Paris did is when she was arrested for drunk driving she blew a .081. That screams targeting right there, however, when she puts herself out in the public the way she does, it's a little hard to have sympathy for her.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

As has been noted... she is in jail for lying before a grand jury - similar if I'm not mistaken to why congress was going to impeech former President Clinton (lying about recieving certain uh, favors..., not for actually recieving them)

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    As has been noted... she is in jail for lying before a grand jury - similar if I'm not mistaken to why congress was going to impeech former President Clinton (lying about recieving certain uh, favors..., not for actually recieving them)
    Hey if Clinton got off, so should she, I mean he set the example.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 532

Scooter Libby isn't going to jail either...and he lied during a grand jury investigation...but an athlete lies and they go to jail? Yeah...that is fair...uh huh!

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Who is going to get her off? We know who got Clinton off!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Scooter Libby isn't going to jail either...and he lied during a grand jury investigation...but an athlete lies and they go to jail? Yeah...that is fair...uh huh!

Those who have the gold, make the rules. Or is is those who make the rules have the gold??? I think they both are true.

Wait in our country it is, those who make the rules steal the gold from those who follow the rules.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 872
    Given: 619

Those who have the gold, make the rules. Or is is those who make the rules have the gold??? I think they both are true.

Wait in our country it is, those who make the rules steal the gold from those who follow the rules.
    That's just the NCAA...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.