Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Favre: 'I would like to continue longer' with Pack

ESPN - Favre could return for '08 season - NFL

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre is leaning toward returning for another season with the Green Bay Packers, according to comments he made to his hometown newspaper.

In a story posted on the Web site of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald, the record-setting quarterback says he isn't approaching Saturday's playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks like it will be his final game in Green Bay.

"Each week, I bring more stress on myself wondering if this is too good to be true," Favre told the Sun-Herald. "I want to continue the streak and winning. When I talk about the streak, it's not the [consecutive] starts; it's the hot streak we are on. Then, I ask what can I do better?

"I am trying to enjoy it because this could be my last game in Green Bay," he said. "For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game. I would like to continue longer."

At least two members of Favre's family don't want him to retire: his daughters, Brittany, a freshman at Charleston Southern, and Breleigh.

"Brittany was up here [in Green Bay last weekend] and drove to get ice cream," Favre told the Sun-Herald. "It was like pulling teeth to get Brittany and Breleigh to get out of the car to get the ice cream. But we didn't argue about it being my last game like we have in the past. We talked about Brittany coming back in this weekend from Charleston Southern for what could be my last game.

"Breleigh then spoke up and said, 'Dad, don't retire.' And Brittany said, 'Dad, I think you need to play one more year," Favre told the newspaper.

While it has been widely assumed that Favre would come back to play next season after having one of the best years of his career, both he and Packers coach Mike McCarthy have said the future Hall of Famer would wait until after the season to address the issue.

In his 17th season, Favre led the Packers to a 13-3 record with 28 touchdowns, 4,155 passing yards and a quarterback rating of 95.7, his best in 11 seasons. For his career, Favre has 442 TD passes, 61,655 passing yards and 5,377 pass completions.

Favre's now-annual flirtation with retirement has taken on a life of its own in Wisconsin. He has taken weeks and even months in recent years to make up his mind.

"I have a lot to think about. It's been a fun year and winning has made it a good year," Favre told the newspaper. "For the first time in a couple of years, at this point, my focus is solely on Seattle and winning a playoff game at home."

Favre's favorite receiver, Donald Driver, said Wednesday he hoped Favre would return.

"Oh, yeah. Of course," Driver said. "I hope so. ... But I don't know. I hope he comes back, but if not, he had a great career. I'm happy for that, and I'm glad I'm a part of it."

Last edited by ISUFan22; 01-10-2008 at 02:32 PM.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 127

Re: Favre: 'I would like to continue longer' with Pack

I really think it'd be interesting to see him come back next year if they could make sure to keep the team growing and building around him. It's amazing what they accomplished (thus far) this year with what they have and I think he's having fun and knows that he's still better than most QBs in the league even at his age.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Per PACKERNEWS.COM:

McCarthy, players downplay report of Favre returning for 2008 season

By Tom Pelissero
    tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

No one at Lambeau Field was willing to put much stock into today's report on the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald’s Web site that Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre is leaning toward returning for an 18th NFL season.

"I'll try not to laugh," said coach Mike McCarthy, who was told about the report shortly before his afternoon news conference. "But I have not been part of any conversation with Brett on that topic, and I think we just need to move on and focus on Seattle (the Packers’ opponent in Saturday’s NFC divisional playoff game), because that's what we are focused on. I'm sure that's what he's focused on.

"So, I don't know anything about it, and I think it's just someone trying to distract my quarterback."

The report was written by Al Jones, who sometimes doubles as Favre's unofficial spokesman.

“For the first time in three years, I haven’t thought this could be my last game,” Favre told the newspaper. “I would like to continue longer.”

Favre’s now-annual flirtation with retirement has taken on a life of its own in this state. He has taken weeks and even months in recent years to make his decision.

While it has been widely assumed that he would come back to play next season after having one of the best years of his career, Favre and McCarthy have said all season that the quarterback would wait until after the season was over to address the issue. McCarthy reiterated that today.

“After the season’s over, just like we did last year,” McCarthy said.

Several teammates scoffed at the report.

"If the last two years have told us anything, after NBC last year (when Favre broke down after the regular-season finale), it's that we really don't know what he's going to do," backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "It's out of my control."

Receiver Donald Driver said he thinks Favre will come back but said the quarterback hasn't talked to teammates about the decision.

“Who wouldn’t want him to come back?” Driver said. “I want everyone in this locker room to come back, but everybody probably won’t. But we’ll see what happens.”

Favre is not scheduled to speak to the media again before Saturday’s game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Brett can definetly still play. I think he has even gotten better at managing a game now then he when he just use to Fling and Hope sometimes.

I think he is great for the NFL....

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 132

I think he'll retire now, cuz all the other times he would say he is done and then come back, so now he is doin the opposite.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

I get the feeling that it wouldn't disappoint McCarthy one bit if Favre hung it up. Maybe I'm reading too much into his comments here and ones made in the past. And of course Rodgers would like Favre to retire - he wants to play!

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 127

McCarthy's comments did appear odd but I think he could just be trying to keep the team focused on the playoffs. Although rumors of him coming back would be far worse, in my opinion, than rumors of him leaving. Rodgers did have a great game earlier this year and showed he could be a great replacement but I think they still need to improve at some key positions to be seriously competitive to win it all.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I get the feeling that it wouldn't disappoint McCarthy one bit if Favre hung it up. Maybe I'm reading too much into his comments here and ones made in the past. And of course Rodgers would like Favre to retire - he wants to play!
    This is good for Rogers as well. He gets to learn for 4 years under arguably the best QB ever. Doesn't rush him into starting. He has the tools to be good just needs the coaching. By next year he will be ready.

Of course, he wants to play but big picture he has made a great payday, hasn't become damaged goods by starting too soon, probably in line for a good extension based off the Dallas game alone and already has 3-4 years tenured in the NFL without risk. I think he is sitting perfect for a breakout once he gets the reigns to a franchise.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 27

This guy is the classic example of the jock that will never know when to walk away. With all the records, all the money, it will take a major injury for him to call it quits. The limelight is just too strong.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I still think if they win it all he will announce his retirement after the game...

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    I still think if they win it all he will announce his retirement after the game...
    He has to beat Elway. Has to go out with 2 superbowls in a row.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    This guy is the classic example of the jock that will never know when to walk away.
    Why should he hang it up?

Would you like him to quarterback your team? I'm guessing yes aside from 3-4 teams that have younger QB's that play at the same level or above.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

as much as i want favre to return.. he may want to retire on a high note..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    I don't think that is the case. It's not like he has a monkey on his back to win a Super Bowl.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    He has to beat Elway. Has to go out with 2 superbowls in a row.
    Well then he's going to be playing quite a while longer I guess.